Wifi network is open - no password - Traeger app won't allow us to have a blank password it appears

jtfar

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 1300
Any suggestions for how we work around this.

Our wifi is provided by a third party and the home is remote - there is no way for us to put a password on the router.

When we connect the grill - the app locks up at password - it won't accept a blank or no password.

Technical support was completely unhelpful. Any suggestions????

Our wifi is provided by a third party and the home is remote - there is no way for us to put a password on the router.

When we connect the grill - the app locks up at password - it won't accept a blank or no password.

It is a requirement they have called out in their documentation, so there are no known workarounds short of using a different Wi-Fi Network via something like a HotSpot ...

Did you find a way to connect without entering a password? I have the same issue

Are you saying that your WiFi router is not using encryption for any connection to the Wireless radios of the router? If that is the case, you have far more serious issues than not being able to connect your Traeger grill. A hacker could access your WiFi network and steal your identity, files on your computer, etc.

Many ISP want you to use the modems and routers they provide for an extra rental fee every month. They make good money doing that. However, they cannot force you to use their equipment. I have Comcast cable and every week they send me a email telling me how I can improve performance by using their modem and router. However, I have always owned my own equipment. It is less expensive to do so and allows me to retain control over the system. I upgrade the equipment when it best suits my needs. The equipment I use is as good or better than Comcast would provide.

If you have satellite Internet, which is quite possible in Montana, you might not be able to purchase the downlink/uplink modem, but you should still be able to use your own router.

Are you saying that your WiFi router is not using encryption for any connection to the Wireless radios of the router? If that is the case, you have far more serious issues than not being able to connect your Traeger grill. A hacker could access your WiFi network and steal your identity, files on your computer, etc.

Many ISP want you to use the modems and routers they provide for an extra rental fee every month. They make good money doing that. However, they cannot force you to use their equipment. I have Comcast cable and every week they send me a email telling me how I can improve performance by using their modem and router. However, I have always owned my own equipment. It is less expensive to do so and allows me to retain control over the system. I upgrade the equipment when it best suits my needs. The equipment I use is as good or better than Comcast would provide.

If you have satellite Internet, which is quite possible in Montana, you might not be able to purchase the downlink/uplink modem, but you should still be able to use your own router.
It’s a public Wi-Fi at the tv resort we are staying at.

A device like this travel router might work:

If I understand your needs correctly, you'd join the travel router to the public WiFi network. And then you'd connect your devices to the travel router's password protected network that you set up.

It would also making moving locations a lot easier. Instead of having to reconnect all of your devices to a new network, you would just join the travel router to the new network and you'd be good to go.

Last edited:
A device like this travel router might work:

If I understand your needs correctly, you'd join the travel router to the public WiFi network. And then you'd connect your devices to the travel router's network.

Would also making moving locations a lot easier. Instead of having to reconnect all of your devices to a new network, you can just join the travel router to the new network and you'd be good to go.
Thank you, I will look into this!

I connect my laptop or tablet to open WiFi at hotels as well, but the longer you are there the greater your exposure to getting hacked. While you might be able to set up your own access point with a password to allow connection to your Traeger, you will still have the issue of traffic being unencrypted going from the access point to the Internet through the open WiFi router. Thus, it is best to avoid making financial transactions over such an open connection.

Using an encrypted access point will allow you to connect your Traeger, but the open WiFI will still be an unsecured link that could leave you open to hacking. Your best bet would be to use a VPN.

Some travel routers do have VPN software built into them as well. As RayClem mentioned, those would definitely be more secure.

Latest Discussions

Back