WIFI is EMBARRASSING

xfiveo

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
Hello...this is my second Traeger, I just bought the Pro 575 after trading in my 22" grill I bought in 2018...I paid another 500.00 with my grill as a trade in and that grill was pristine...the main reason was getting the WIFI addition...well...after getting a signal strength between 69-90 and no function due to those high numbers, I bought a WIFI extender after talking to the rep who said I really should have no problem with those high numbers as he's seen many others accessing just fine...

...I wanted to be sure so I bought a NETGEAR unit and it DID NOT CHANGE THE SIGNAL STRENGTH...i was gettin a "WEAK" connection and sure enough it started out OK then QUIT half way through the grilling !!

...tried it again and the same thing happened...so I bought an even "better mesh unit" which was the BEST supposedly and got online today and found the same crappy numbers...NOT A HAPPY GRILLER !!!

...my WIFI is in the living room which is 14' from the EXTENDER and the grill is just outside the sliding glass doors which is only 13' away...(in a triangle configuration)

...am I the only one with this problem or did I get sold short on the product...it needs to go back and give my my 500.00 and old grill...just saying...if you have any help, I'd love to hear...thank you !!!

The first thing to verify is if your active Router / Wireless Access Point has separate SSIDs for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wireless Frequencies ... the WiFIRE Controller only supports 2.4GHz, and depending on what your App Device is ... it may be defaulting to the 5GHz as the preferred during the setup phase ...

What version of Firmware and Config are currently installed on the PRO 575?
What is the Make / Model of the Router / Wireless Access Point you are using?
What is the Make / Model of the App Device you are using?

There are more potential "gotchas" to look into, but the two listed below are the starting points ...

------------------
First step in troubleshooting issues with WiFIRE: One thing to verify on your end is the need to use separate network names (SSIDs) for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wireless frequencies - depending on what WiFi Router/Access Point you use, as well as what mobile device you are using to run the app on, it may be a requirement ... when the network names are the same, and if your mobile device supports 5GHz, the mobile device will by default attach to the 5GHz frequency, while the Grill is connected on the 2.4GHz frequency, resulting in no connection between the App and the Grill ... giving one of the wireless network frequencies a different name allows you to "force" the mobile device to attach to the 2.4GHz network and successfully connect ...

I call my IOT-based device Wireless Networks...
idIOT
idIOT 5GHz
...to support this specific scenario

Additional troubleshooting scenarios and information listed here:
https://www.traegergrills.com/support/wifire-controllers
https://www.traegergrills.com/support/wifire-troubleshooting

WiFIRE Troubleshooting Wizard: http://wizard.web.traegergrills.io/wifire/welcome

------------------

Failed / Hung Setup of WiFIRE | Airplane Mode Workaround

ISSUE: Multiple people have reported that the initial setup of WiFIRE will fail/hang before completion ... this is due to the App device defaulting back to the "preferred" 5GHz Wireless Network after handing off the necessary 2.4GHz Wireless Network information to the Grill (Network Name (SSID), Encryption Type, Password). The App Device MUST reconnect back to the 2.4GHz Home Wireless Network in order for the setup process to successfully complete.

WORKAROUND: The best way to eliminate the failed/hung setup state for WiFIRE is to first put your App Device into Airplane Mode, then manually turn Wi-Fi back on, then "forget" the 5GHz Wi-Fi network, then connect to the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network and start the setup process from the beginning ... this eliminates any potential issues with regards to the App Device reconnecting back to the wrong (i.e. 5GHz) Home Wi-Fi Network during the setup process ... once the setup process has successfully completed, you can take the App Device out of Airplane Mode, and reconnect to the 5GHz Wireless network on your App Device (if desired) ...

------------------

Hello...this is my second Traeger, I just bought the Pro 575 after trading in my 22" grill I bought in 2018...I paid another 500.00 with my grill as a trade in and that grill was pristine...the main reason was getting the WIFI addition...well...after getting a signal strength between 69-90 and no function due to those high numbers, I bought a WIFI extender after talking to the rep who said I really should have no problem with those high numbers as he's seen many others accessing just fine...

...I wanted to be sure so I bought a NETGEAR unit and it DID NOT CHANGE THE SIGNAL STRENGTH...i was gettin a "WEAK" connection and sure enough it started out OK then QUIT half way through the grilling !!

...tried it again and the same thing happened...so I bought an even "better mesh unit" which was the BEST supposedly and got online today and found the same crappy numbers...NOT A HAPPY GRILLER !!!

...my WIFI is in the living room which is 14' from the EXTENDER and the grill is just outside the sliding glass doors which is only 13' away...(in a triangle configuration)

...am I the only one with this problem or did I get sold short on the product...it needs to go back and give my my 500.00 and old grill...just saying...if you have any help, I'd love to hear...thank you !!!

I would also remove the "extender" from the equation ... start over and do some methodically troubleshooting to narrow down what is going on ... I can assist if you want to PM over in Facebook (David Dunaway) ... I am a bit confused by your comment "started out OK then QUIT half way through the grilling" - does that mean you had successfully setup the WiFIRE Controller on your Home Wi-Fi and it has since stopped working?

A couple other options depending on your technical comfort level:
1) Rename one SSID to match the other name exactly. Which ever SSID you change, each device connected to it will need to be re-provisioned to it (ie. type in the password for the new SSID). I've done this successfully on a LInksys router, Ruckus, and Google Mesh routers (too many people call me for help).
2) If you are using an extender, make sure it's configured correctly and repeating the same SSID. I had one friend complain the extender didn't work only for me to figure out it was setup wrong (I despise extenders --> go mesh).

Latest Discussions

Back