WIFI connection

I had the same issue and called support. They were able to force a firmware update to my grill and I haven't had any issues since.

How did they force a firmware update to grill if you weren't able to connect?!

I have a mesh network that unfortunately cannot have separate 5/2.4GHz networks but can have the Eero techs temporarily disable the 5 Ghz portion. I've tried manually connecting to my new Traeger several times w/o any success. I've also left my number for Traeger call back but they have hung up on me twice due to some technical difficulties (and will not automatically call back unlike Eero when we were accidentally disconnected). Traeger has long queue too, between 40-56th in line last two times I've left my number.

Having the same issue with Mesh Network (Orbi). I was able to manually create a separate SSID for 2.4 and 5, After connecting my iPhone to the 2.4 SSID, the Traeger App sill does not recognize the Name of the WiFi network when trying to connect to the Grill (In the Add Wifire Grill wizard, the App says “Your grill will be connected to .”). Tried disconnecting the Orbi Satellites and get direct (although weak) connect to main. Did not work.

Just received the grill this weekend. Any one solve this problem?

How did they force a firmware update to grill if you weren't able to connect?!

I have a mesh network that unfortunately cannot have separate 5/2.4GHz networks but can have the Eero techs temporarily disable the 5 Ghz portion. I've tried manually connecting to my new Traeger several times w/o any success. I've also left my number for Traeger call back but they have hung up on me twice due to some technical difficulties (and will not automatically call back unlike Eero when we were accidentally disconnected). Traeger has long queue too, between 40-56th in line last two times I've left my number.
I was able to get my grill connected to my wifi. I wasn't able to connect to my grill with my phone. So, based on my serial number, etc. they were able to push the firmware update to my grill.

I was able to get my grill connected to my wifi. I wasn't able to connect to my grill with my phone. So, based on my serial number, etc. they were able to push the firmware update to my grill.

How did you connect the grill to the wifi without your phone being involved? I tried both iphone and ipad without success.

I had the same issue and called support. They were able to force a firmware update to my grill and I haven't had any issues since.

Yeah nice.....bit hard to stay on the line here in Australia....that's what I've tried

Hello,
Just picked-up the Traeger 780 pro, Unable to get it out of acess mode for wirfire ,or connect to home networking, Seems to see my home networking ,but stuck, on Traeger acess point on wifi display.
called tech. support twice now, waste of three hours... seems like we bought a brick.

Hello,
Just picked-up the Traeger 780 pro, Unable to get it out of acess mode for wirfire ,or connect to home networking, Seems to see my home networking ,but stuck, on Traeger acess point on wifi display.
called tech. support twice now, waste of three hours... seems like we bought a brick.

I have consolidated down multiple messages into one long one … read at your leisure …

If your D2 WiFIRE Controller is running version 2.00.00 of Firmware (January 2020 Update release), that version has known issues preventing it from successfully completing setup via the updated/current App & Traeger Cloud back-end ... if your D2 WiFIRE controller is running version 1.x, it has officially been deprecated as vintage/obsolete ... in both scenarios, you need to contact Traeger Support and request a replacement controller board ...

If the controller is running version 2.00.01 or later, you probably need to adjust settings on your Router / Wireless Access Point and/or App Device ... more details below ...

==========

First step in troubleshooting issues with WiFIRE: One thing to verify on your end is the need to use separate network names (SSIDs) for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wireless frequencies - depending on what WiFi Router/Access Point you use, as well as what mobile device you are using to run the app on, it may be a requirement ... when the network names are the same, and if your mobile device supports 5GHz, the mobile device will by default attach to the 5GHz frequency, while the Grill is connected on the 2.4GHz frequency, resulting in no connection between the App and the Grill ... giving one of the wireless network frequencies a different name allows you to "force" the mobile device to attach to the 2.4GHz network and successfully connect ...

I call my IOT-based device Wireless Networks...
idIOT
idIOT 5GHz
...to support this specific scenario

Additional troubleshooting scenarios and information listed here:

WiFIRE Troubleshooting Wizard: http://wizard.web.traegergrills.io/wifire/welcome

==========

Failed / Hung Setup of WiFIRE | Airplane Mode Workaround

ISSUE: Multiple people have reported that the initial setup of WiFIRE will fail/hang before completion ... this is due to the App device defaulting back to the "preferred" 5GHz Wireless Network after handing off the necessary 2.4GHz Wireless Network information to the Grill (Network Name (SSID), Encryption Type, Password). The App Device MUST reconnect back to the 2.4GHz Home Wireless Network in order for the setup process to successfully complete.

WORKAROUND: The best way to eliminate the failed/hung setup state for WiFIRE is to first put your App Device into Airplane Mode, then manually turn Wi-Fi back on, then "forget" the 5GHz Wi-Fi network, then connect to the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network and start the setup process from the beginning ... this eliminates any potential issues with regards to the App Device reconnecting back to the wrong (i.e. 5GHz) Home Wi-Fi Network during the setup process ... once the setup process has successfully completed, you can take the App Device out of Airplane Mode, and reconnect to the 5GHz Wireless network on your App Device (if desired) ...

==========

"NEW" Information was posted on 2020-Jun-25 via WiFIRE Status (https://www.traegergrills.com/status) page, offering additional reasons why the pairing process (setup) can fail:

If you are having issues connecting your grill to your home wifi network, please ensure that none of these parameters are utilized or else the pairing process will fail:

∙ If user has reconfigured VPN on mobile phone
∙ If user router has tranparent proxy
∙ If user network is without DHCP server
∙ If user network has 802.1X authentication

Most of the four listed parameter settings were already known, but it is good that they are adding it to this page so it will eventually become a single/consolidated "knowledge" base-type article ... to be clear though, 99%+ of Internet users will not have made any of the four changes listed directly above ... if you are one of the less than 1% who did make one-some-all of these changes, you know who you are, so adjust accordingly ... :) ...

Thanks for your help, this is what it shows.....
Traeger (2).jpg

Thanks for your help, this is what it shows.....View attachment 1822

That controller/grill was manufactured 8-9+ months ago ... see the following picture to get the date from inside the hopper ... you definitely need a replacement controller sent out ... this version of Firmware was cut-off from support from the Traeger App & Cloud back-end sometime in May ... and without that support, it cannot be connected, which means it cannot be upgraded ... Catch-22 ...

Attachments

• Traeger | Determine MFG Date.png
    Traeger | Determine MFG Date.png
    1 MB · Views: 76
Thanks for all your help with this problem... May bring it back to store that was purchased from
I am concerned, About Traeger customer care, I have already called them 3 Times, No one offered me a replacement controller , Didn't even inquire about grill build date !! Felt I was Blown off....

Thanks for all your help with this problem... May bring it back to store that was purchased from
I am concerned, About Traeger customer care, I have already called them 3 Times, No one offered me a replacement controller , Didn't even inquire about grill build date !! Felt I was Blown off....

Traeger Customer Service has added on an outsource partner to handle the influx of calls, and if you end up with one of those folks, the call generally ends up being a waste of time ... push to speak with a Supervisor / Team Lead, explain that your grill was manufactured sometime in 2019 (you can get the specific month from the post / info shared above), and the WiFIRE Controller firmware is obsolete and unable to connect to the Traeger Cloud back-end, consequently it can never upgrade, thus you need a replacement controller sent out (with a minimum of Firmware version 2.00.01) to resolve this matter ...

This is not correct, 1.X firmware models and manufactured grills in 2019 are not obsoltee. Got my Timberline 850 this week, Serial number shows manufacturing date April 2019. FirmWare at delivery was 1.0.11. It connected to my WiFi fine and immediately updated to 2.00.01 without any issue.

Attachments

• AED06A06-8C24-4EAF-9DEE-D6A16EB0E12C.jpeg
    AED06A06-8C24-4EAF-9DEE-D6A16EB0E12C.jpeg
    205.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 08B33930-3910-42A3-AA44-A9125254204A.jpeg
    08B33930-3910-42A3-AA44-A9125254204A.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 48
  • D9215544-A84A-4EBA-A8E5-2714ACE8183C.jpeg
    D9215544-A84A-4EBA-A8E5-2714ACE8183C.jpeg
    94.6 KB · Views: 42
This is not correct, 1.X firmware models and manufactured grills in 2019 are not obsoltee. Got my Timberline 850 this week, Serial number shows manufacturing date April 2019. FirmWare at delivery was 1.0.11. It connected to my WiFi fine and immediately updated to 2.00.01 without any issue.

The grills are not obsolete - the Firmware version became obsolete in May when the Traeger App & Cloud back-end stopped supporting them ... there are numerous posts on this from various Traeger dealers warning customers to update before June 1st, else they will be unsupported and unable to update ... This has been confirmed from multiple Traeger customers in the US who have had to engage with Traeger Support and were sent replacement controllers to resolve the issue ...

Considering you are not in the US, there is the possibility that Traeger is using a different Cloud back-end provider / instance outside of the US, or they have decided to reverse their previous decision to pull support for Firmware version 1.x after they have been inundated with customers requiring replacement controllers ...

Here is one of the posts I am referring to from Traeger Dealers (searching for the 2nd dealer that had a similar post - will update thread once I find the URL):
https://www.woodardmercantile.com/traeger-wifire-update/ ... This dealer posting used to say June 1st, 2020, and now it says September 1st, 2020, so that does align with Traeger reversing their decision at some point and allowing 1.x versions of Firmware to start upgrading again ... good for them, because I have been involved with too many of these over the past month ...

EDIT: Here is another dealer posting that still lists June 1st as the cut-off date ... http://arnoldmotorsupply.com/blogpost.php?post=407 ... throughout June until about the 25th (I went out on vacation the 26th), I was dealing with multiple (around 10 or so), people who had version 1.x of Firmware and were unable to get it connected ... in each of those cases, they contacted Traeger Support, spoke to a Supervisor, and had a replacement controller sent out ... so sometime that week, or soon afterwards, they reversed course and started upgrading 1.x Firmware again ... here's hoping they extend it past September 1st, cause there will still be people acquiring grills with old Firmware that has been sitting in inventory somewhere for a long period of time ...

Last edited:
I picked up a Silverton 620 from Costco yesterday because my current Traeger needs a bit of work after 5+ years of faithful service.

I was minutes away from putting it and the 50lbs of cardboard it comes with in my trailer and returning it to Costco and getting a bigger less expensive Pit Boss. I would have never considered a Pit Boss, but a neighbor has one and I am dually impressed with it.

Traeger. The name in pellet grills. Very disappointed. Traeger better pull a rabbit out of their hat or this is my last Traeger.

SW VER: c1.00.03
CONFIG VER: 10.003

The "manufacture" date per the serial number is 2001, so January 2020 I think.

I could not get my android phone to connect to the grill. I am guessing it is the issue where the phone swaps back to my wifi at 5GHz. Not sure that matters at all because it is all the same network. It would not get past the "Sending password to..."

Anyway, I was able to get my iPad to go through the setup process only to find that the grill is not listed in the app once setup is complete. The grill says it is connected to my wifi.

Several hours later I go back to the grill and see that it is not connected to my wifi anymore. What?!?

Looking at the firmware, it is now c2.00.01. I went through the app setup process on the iPad again and now the grill is listed in the app.

I hope it updates to the latest firmware soon.

Depending on how the holiday weekend goes, I may still return this on Monday.

Latest Discussions

Back