WiFi - Cell Data instead?

Brad

Reaction score
Just bought a Timberline 850. My grill location is too far away from my router. Is it possible to use cellular data instead?

Doubt it. You can get a nanostation M2 loco from ubnt.com, plug it into your router and with a line of sight, you will be able to connect, up to 15 km.

Try a wifi range extender?

I could test it out for you. It's easy enough to turn your phone into a hot spot and broadcast the internet. The problem then becomes you have to leave your phone by the grill the entire time.

I'm having a similar issue, my grill sits right at the end of the range of my Apple airport. Sometimes it gets a signal, sometimes it doesn't. I've been thinking about replacing it for a while so I'll probably make the jump soon. I've heard good things about the Google Wifi mesh. Anyone have experience with it?

Another option, although not sure how to do it...I had a GMG Davy Crockett in the same location that I know have my Traeger 575. The Traeger has no connection issues for me, but the GMG did. I replaced wifi antenna on the GMG with a hi gain antenna ($10 on amazon). Problem solved. Obviously the Traeger doesn't have an external antenna, but maybe there is some way to beef up its internal antenna?

I have used a network extender but it would need resetting several times a week. I moved to Google WIFI Mesh and everything works great. I even have a workshop in the back of house past the grill and while the signal is weak, it still works fine( located one unit in shop). Plus I can test my network from anywhere.

If you need more range, you can just add another unit.

I was having wifi issues with my pre2019 T850. Had to purchase a 4th Google mesh node, installed it 3' from the grill. Still had a weak signal. Fortunately I was able to upgrade to a 2019 T1300. New grill has a short antenna. Signal now strong. Traeger still has an issue with it only capable of connecting with 2.4Ghz wifi, and not 5Ghz. The 5Ghz seems to confuse the wifi enable process, so multiple attempts are necessary, until the connection happens. In the world of dual frequency routers, a wifi upgrade would make sense... especially when the grill costs $2k.

I pulled the controller on our Pro 780 to find the radio and locate the Antennae or lack there of. That's exactly what I found, lack of any antennae at all. Most WiFi radios have a micro antennae connector of some sort, but not this controller. There was no signs of it, or any FCC markings at all.

I have souped up enough pieces of WiFi equipment in my day. I was all ready to pull a Tim Allen on this thing, but had no luck at all.

Correct, the 2019 new controllers do have antenna jacks, the pre-2019 do not.

Have you got pics to show said connectors? As I just mentioned, I didn't see them. Please correct me if I am wrong, but the Pro 575 and Pro 780 are considered 2019 models?

For example, here is a pic of the back of the new Ironwood D2 controller. Note near that little loop of wire in the upper right-hand corner, it is printed Antenna on the circuit board. That loop may be the only thing being used and just to the left of the screw is the micro connector for the WiFi loop!

If the 780 has this, then I know I can make antennas for us all. I'm pulling mine apart when I get home and check mine. If it does, I'm ripping open an old dead AP and stealing the rubber ducky antenna for my grill!!

Last edited:
If mine has that connector, then my next order is going to be on Amazon for the following. This is going to get me an 8dpi gain in signal and should solve any issues of connectivity. This $10 part should have come from the factory for sure!

The cool part is I can order the part, or steal it off of an old Access Point to test. If the results are good, I will document the mod and drop it into the mod section for all to do! WOO WOO!

Have you got pics to show said connectors? As I just mentioned, I didn't see them. Please correct me if I am wrong, but the Pro 575 and Pro 780 are considered 2019 models?

For example, here is a pic of the back of the new Ironwood D2 controller. Note near that little loop of wire in the upper right-hand corner, it is printed Antenna on the circuit board. That loop may be the only thing being used and just to the left of the screw is the micro connector for the WiFi loop!

If the 780 has this, then I know I can make antennas for us all. I'm pulling mine apart when I get home and check mine. If it does, I'm ripping open an old dead AP and stealing the rubber ducky antenna for my grill!!

View attachment 129

Thank you! That helps greatly! I will report back. If the 575/780 do not have these, then I know how to add them.

This is good stuff guys. We may have a solution in the making.

Thank you! That helps greatly! I will report back. If the 575/780 do not have these, then I know how to add them.

This is good stuff guys. We may have a solution in the making.
I purchased the 2019 Timberline because of the improved Wirefire wifi capability. Would hope all 2019 wifi models are same.

Well, after ripping my 780 apart last night, I see the differences. That antenna port on the circuit board does not exist on the 780 board and most likely the 575 board either. On the one photo, you can see a 2-wire connector up in the location near where the Ironwood and Timberline antenna port is, but without further disassembly, I am unable to figure out what that is.

I did take note of an odd cable though. The last photo is of a wire running up to the pellet hopper. It is not connected to anything, but is pushed into a rubber grommet. You can see a cap on this hole on the hopper side, but nothing is there. Maybe some sort of optional hopper accessory? Pellet monitor maybe?

If I get a wild hair, I may disassemble it further to properly inspect the circuit board. As there has to be some sort of two-wire antenna for what little WiFi connectivity we actually have. But it must be on the back side of the board. And that plastic is glued together. I would have to be creative to get it out at this point.

Good luck everyone.

Latest Discussions

Back