Wi-Fire, is it me? Or does it suck for everyone?

I really don’t have an issue with my system and the app. I don’t rely on the notifications since I’m checking it to see temp. I wish it had charts for cooks and history but it doesn’t have any issues. Maybe I’m just lucky or not looking anything more. The ability to change temp has worked out great for long cooks.

It's the luck of the draw. The app becomes unresponsive at times and the only way to get it back up is to change the screen on the controller or close and restart the app. I am getting decent signal strength , it's usually between -48 db and -60 which according to Traeger is sh*t hot. I can get over difficulties and live with most anything but apathy from Traeger and the service cube farm. There is no direction or sense of urgency about anything. Door leakage, network and temperature issues have been ongoing since Pontious was a pilot. Some brainiac from service will ship non stop controllers or doors from the warehouse but no one will try to get to the root of the problem. I've been lucky and found some decent direction but a lot haven't and that's not fair. I still like the product and don't want another brand but I wish Traeger would get some sort of active QC throughout the company. I'd like to see them successful and making money so they're around for a few more years.

Just for everyone's information, the db strength is stronger with a lower number. -60 is horrible signal strength. When I do Wireless site surveys, if we hit -60 to -80 we consider that unusable. That being said, my app works when the traeger is showing -68db. The issue is on the backside in tragers hosted application that the grill talks to and feeds the app. It does not feed directly to the app, it goes through servers in the cloud.

This is similar to your phone talking to Onstar before sending the signal to my truck to start. Same concept as there is a server in the cloud in between adding an additional variable. Connecting to the "Internet" is not the problem many times.

Traeger needed to put an external antenna on that controller like the higher end models. Putting that controller in a metal box helps nobody.

-60db is acceptable according to Traeger service and my experience with other wifi situations . -50db to the -40's is better of course but more difficult to attain. outside your house. A better antenna placed outside of the metal enclosure would be great BUT they know this and known it for some time and nothing has been addressed. As it is, the wifi is highly directional so the grill has to be facing in the direction of the signal. The signal is hosted by your network. Another problem was/is the UUID # has to be in the traeger data base and associated with your grill.

Last edited:
it f'n sucks...

Update, After the recent 2.0 firmware and app update, after re-establishing connection between the app and grill today, I'm now happy to report that with the new cloud setup I am getting timely push notifications to both my iPhone and Apple watch for both temp thresholds met and Probe alarms as well.

Now it works like it should! Good job Traeger, you kept at it and it's finally much better!

Back