What's your firmware and config version?

nmiller0113

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
I'm running a Gen2 Timberline 850 and according to the website I'm supposed to be on firmware version 02.01.02 and config version 08.005 yet my grill is stuck at firmware version 02.00.01 and config version 08.004 and has been for months. I've left it running in standby for months and use the app all the time so I know the wifi portion is working properly. I've also performed the factory reset steps and removed the grill from the app...nothing has updated it. I'd love to hear what others are seeing. Thanks!

The May Update release is where 02.01.02 comes from and was available starting around 05/19 through approximately 05/27, before it was put "on hold" pending a programmatic "fix" being developed to deal with the subset of WiFIRE Controllers that were unexpectedly shutting down ... so if your WiFIRE Controller was powered on continuously for 24-48 hours during that timeframe and connected to your Home Wi-Fi Network, it should have picked up both updates (Firmware first ... 12-24 Hours later the Config Version) ... if it was off during that short window, you'll need to wait for the updates to be re-released ... if it was on during during those dates, then your WiFIRE Controller's registered Grill UUID value may not be recognized by the Traeger Cloud back-end as in need of an update ...

My suggestion is to wait for the updates to be made available again (expect a new version of Firmware, and potentially a new Config Version) and see if that resolves your issue ... If not, you'll need to contact Traeger Support and inquire about the possible need for a replacement controller ...

The May Update release is where 02.01.02 comes from and was available starting around 05/19 through approximately 05/27, before it was put "on hold" pending a programmatic "fix" being developed to deal with the subset of WiFIRE Controllers that were unexpectedly shutting down ... so if your WiFIRE Controller was powered on continuously for 24-48 hours during that timeframe and connected to your Home Wi-Fi Network, it should have picked up both updates (Firmware first ... 12-24 Hours later the Config Version) ... if it was off during that short window, you'll need to wait for the updates to be re-released ... if it was on during during those dates, then your WiFIRE Controller's registered Grill UUID value may not be recognized by the Traeger Cloud back-end as in need of an update ...

My suggestion is to wait for the updates to be made available again (expect a new version of Firmware, and potentially a new Config Version) and see if that resolves your issue ... If not, you'll need to contact Traeger Support and inquire about the possible need for a replacement controller ...
@dunawayfamily, thank you for the quick response. I'm not entirely sure it was on every moment during that time as I've turned it off to clean as well. What peaks my curiosity is that there is a March update to 02.01.00 that I've also not received regardless of the problems with 02.01.02. I feel that based not the March update my config version should also be running 08.005 and not 08.004. Thoughts?

@dunawayfamily, thank you for the quick response. I'm not entirely sure it was on every moment during that time as I've turned it off to clean as well. What peaks my curiosity is that there is a March update to 02.01.00 that I've also not received regardless of the problems with 02.01.02. I feel that based not the March update my config version should also be running 08.005 and not 08.004. Thoughts?

The March Update release in hindsight seemed "targeted" to a subset of Grill UUIDs, since a vast majority of comments online were people complaining that they were not receiving them ... assumption being that Traeger was being cautious in widely PUSHing the March Updates out due to the problems created by the January 2020 Updates (lots of complaints of working setups that would no longer reconnect, requiring Traeger to replace controllers) ... and now with the regressions introduced in the May Updates, it is unclear if July will mimic March and only be targeted again, or will be widely released ... the March Updates added the ability to select 500 degrees, so that may be another reason it was initially limited - to gather analytics on usage before widely PUSHing out to everyone ...

Thanks again @dunawayfamily! My Gen2 always had the ability to hit 500 degrees as it's even in the purchase documentation. Unless I misunderstood it. Either way, I'll wait and see I guess. I wish they were more clear on their update process and which devices are in scope.

Agreed - if a grills Config Version was current or current -.001, then they had 500 degree support enabled ... for those of us who were -.002 or more away on the Config Version, the May Update was the first time we could select that temp ... in term of BUG fixes in the Firmware Updates, and Features updated/added via the Config Version, the WiFIRE Status landing page is all they offer - https://www.traegergrills.com/status - they do show what was fixed in the last 2 updates in more detail than any of the previous updates, so at least they are trending in the right direction :) ...

Back