What's your drink?

primeone

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
2023 Ironwood-L
A lot of talk about smoking & grilling on here, but what's everyone drinking while you cook?

Right now I have Salmon on the Traeger and an eggnog & makers in the hand!

makersmark-whisky.png
+
so-co-nog.png

Either a good Bourbon (neat) or whatever I have on tap. I like a hoppy IPA or a good imperial stout.

Glenlivet Nadurra, barrel strength water on the side Nadurra comes as a first fill american white oak cask @ around 59% alcohol by volume as well as an Oloroso. The second option is matured in first fill Jerez Sherry oak casks and bottled at approx 61%. I pour 2 oz into a glass and add 1.5 oz of water. Both are well priced for the quality of the scotch and by the time you cut the whisky to 40% you wind up getting 150% .

And then there's Molson's Canadian for when I'm thirsty.

Primeone, I've enjoyed Makers Mark on occasion.

Good bourbon over a large chunk of ice. Depending on how smooth it is, a tiny spritz of lemon ginger ale added in. not much, just a few ml changes the complexity in a good way

Do any of you make smoked ice for your drinks that you can comment on the experience? Thx.

A good, full-bodied beer like XX Amber, Boston Lager, Shiner Bock. Sometimes use it to chase a shot of Cuervo Gold, Jim Beam, or Jack Daniel's.

Do any of you make smoked ice for your drinks that you can comment on the experience? Thx.

I have tried it. You have to let the ice melt into the drink before you notice the smoked flavor, but you definitely notice. When I did it I started with ice cubes. My thought was the solid surface gave the smoke particles more spots to adhere

A good bourbon or scotch. Just depends on the mood. Of course, neat to start and then perhaps a splash of water to open it up :)

I have tried it. You have to let the ice melt into the drink before you notice the smoked flavor, but you definitely notice. When I did it I started with ice cubes. My thought was the solid surface gave the smoke particles more spots to adhere
To get a concentrated smokey taste to the water it would be cool to bubble smoke through cool water and then freeze The problem would be to cool the smoke before it hit the air pump . You could always use a venturi. Try running pressurised air through the straight run of a tee with the branch piped to your smoke source. This should work and not bollox up an aquarium pump. You could even use an oil-less diaphram pump. I imagine most have access to one of those (pump for air tools) The pump would be upstream of the smoke source and any heat. You would get some condensing in the tubing but some should make it to the water. You could even try to dissolve the residue from the tubing.

Sounds like a heck of a way to get through a case of beer and do something creative at the same time. Traeger started something when they put the required number of beers to complete a job in their manual.

A good ole Budweiser makes me happy!

I think I need to have you all as my neighbors. You are way more fun than the ones I have. Happy new year to all.

Latest Discussions

Back