Pellets Whats in my hopper ?

mastercook62

Reaction score
Ok, I'm sure I'm not the only one to have a hopper half full of pellets for a week or so only to return and not remember which type I had in there?
Can you tell by burning a few pellets, let's say Hickory and apple in my case separately to identify the smell of the smoke?
Some will say, just use what's in there but I would like to know if this is a way to find out ??

I personally can not tell the difference. I did notice there is a slight color difference between, but unfortunately no good way. I've also had discussions with other pellet nuts, and its debatable on whether you can even tell the difference in your finished cook unless your doing extreme differences. This is also why I switched to smoking 90% of the time with hickory.

I personally can not tell the difference. I did notice there is a slight color difference between, but unfortunately no good way. I've also had discussions with other pellet nuts, and its debatable on whether you can even tell the difference in your finished cook unless your doing extreme differences. This is also why I switched to smoking 90% of the time with hickory.
I think I tend to agree with you to a degree, I usually order 3 bags, 2 apple and 1 hickory as this suites what I cook most, Chicken and pork, but with so many so-called flavours you really would be hard-pressed to identify that amount of difference!

I guess I killed my taste buds Long Long Ago in a Nicotine-Era Far Far Away, but I can’t now distinguish pellet smoke profiles accurately.
I bought 3 WinCo 5-gallon food-safe buckets with lids, that I pour new bags of Traeger pellets into and record in my Traegerin’ log.

My pellets are kept in storage bins and I usually stick something on the bin of pellets to remind me what is in the hopper. And after two years os smoking I have settled on a mixed Cherry/Pecan as my main cook pellet. I have hickory and a pecan in the other two bins. I can not tell the difference but my Pro 575 doesn't smoke as much as my first Traeger.

Ok, I'm sure I'm not the only one to have a hopper half full of pellets for a week or so only to return and not remember which type I had in there?
Can you tell by burning a few pellets, let's say Hickory and apple in my case separately to identify the smell of the smoke?
Some will say, just use what's in there but I would like to know if this is a way to find out ??

I used the marketing material magnets and created labels to show what pellet type is currently in the hopper.

Pellet Magnets.jpeg

I can't tell any difference between pellets in any way so I burn heating pellets for $6.50/40 lb bag.

I can tell a difference in the smell of the smoke. As far as differentiating the difference d by taste, I can tell the difference between hickory & not hickory. As far as by sight? Cherry is about it.

Just got these on Amazon. Seem to work well.

TiciKim Pellet Hopper Magnet Labels Flavor Tags for Smoker Wood Pellets, Matte Finish Design, Pellet Smoker Grill Accessories Outdoor Waterproof Grill Guide Pellets Markers (9 Pack) https://a.co/d/5lxYc5r

Just got these on Amazon. Seem to work well.

TiciKim Pellet Hopper Magnet Labels Flavor Tags for Smoker Wood Pellets, Matte Finish Design, Pellet Smoker Grill Accessories Outdoor Waterproof Grill Guide Pellets Markers (9 Pack) https://a.co/d/5lxYc5r
I think this is really cool......but I just burn the same stuff over and over so no real reason for me to get them. Do they look as good in person?

Latest Discussions

Back