What's for dinner tonight? Dinner ideas?

I love making pizza on Ironwood.
I’ve done pizza using a pizza stone twice now on my C885 at 450 for 12-15 minutes. Pre heating the stone for 45-60 minutes. I want to do pizza again but not on my C885. To me it seems like a waste of pellets and time on the grill. So is it the same using the oven? Do I need to pre heat the pizza stone for 60 minutes before placing my pizza on it?

Seeing briskets were 4.99/lb, decided to take the plunge.
SousVide at 132°F for 48 hours. Then chill the brisket to stop the cook and bring down the core temp (refrigerator over night). Then on the Traeger at 225°F with super smoke on until it comes up to 132-135°F or there is a nice bark set.
FYI, for anyone looking, the expandable Foodsaver bags would definitely hold up to an 18-20 LB packer brisket. Mine was 13 LBS and I had tons of room left
She is 2 hours into the bath now. Sunday she will come out of the SousVide. Monday morning on the smoker
20210924_095950.jpg20210924_104808.jpg20210924_104816.jpg

Meat Church Holy Cow on both sides, a dusting of Kinder's Buttery Steakhouse on the fat cap.

I am waiting for this indeed, but I have to wonder (just like your pastrami) why the meat would be as tender as when the breakdown occurs at 200°.
I know what it 'says' in your link, I'm just wondering how... But HEY, Jake is our experimenter so he leads the way.

EDIT: okay the first link explains more.... Now my 2nd Q... pink salt??? I'm guessing you have to to kill anything that grows in there but... OH well, I'll sit back and watch for now.

I am waiting for this indeed, but I have to wonder (just like your pastrami) why the meat would be as tender as when the breakdown occurs at 200°.
I know what it 'says' in your link, I'm just wondering how... But HEY, Jake is our experimenter so he leads the way.

EDIT: okay the first link explains more.... Now my 2nd Q... pink salt??? I'm guessing you have to to kill anything that grows in there but... OH well, I'll sit back and watch for now.
The pink salt is for looks, keeping a smoke ring. I did not use any.

48 hours of Sous Vide brisket. (@132°F).
It was cooled in a couple of cold water baths, now it's in the fridge for the night to chill. The texture 'seems' good to the touch, almost butter like when pressed through the bag.
Plan is to smoke it at 225°F until it reaches 130-135°F tomorrow and then rest in the cooler for a couple of hours
I will snap a couple pictures tomorrow after it's out of the bag before the smoke
20210926_151423.jpg20210926_151407.jpg

My SousVide was acting up, I didn't notice the water circulation wasn't working properly for most of the cook. Hoping it doesn't affect the result.

Interested in how long it takes to bring it back to 135°
If you give this the OKAY, I'm thinking of doing this for a 'hunting' meal, 90 minutes to the cabin while the Brisket rests...

Also, what about the flavor... those articles make me think this will taste more like a roast rather than brisket...

I don't have pics of the chicken :), but this was Sunday's meal, including a lovely 18-hour brisket :)

smores pie.jpgdaribs.jpgbrandh.jpgaftercoolere2hours.jpg

Interested in how long it takes to bring it back to 135°
If you give this the OKAY, I'm thinking of doing this for a 'hunting' meal, 90 minutes to the cabin while the Brisket rests...

Also, what about the flavor... those articles make me think this will taste more like a roast rather than brisket...
I am hoping for more of a roast flavor/texture with a brisket tenderness. We shall see, it is on now
Mon Sep 27 Sous Vide Brisket https://share.fireboard.io/930002
Interesting to see that I have another bad probe. The one I had in the point we erratic and I noticed my FB2 was exhibiting the same problems I had earlier this year. Readings on port probes not in use. Changed the probe and voila, problem went away.
20210927_073738.jpg20210927_074606.jpg
Observations from opening the Sous Vide bag was the meat had firmed up from being refrigerated. So there is fat within the meat still, it had a butter like feel coming out of the SousVide bath yesterday. The smell was AMAZING, I probably should have sampled it. There was a large volume of 'gelatin' in the bag as well, probably 2 cups.
Hopefully this barks up nicely today

Looks like it's floating in cherry jello??? WT... ??

Looks like it's floating in cherry jello??? WT... ??
Pretty much exactly what it looked like. Kind of shows that the fat is actually being rendered at the lower temperature for that duration in the Sous Vide

Pretty much exactly what it looked like. Kind of shows that the fat is actually being rendered at the lower temperature for that duration in the Sous Vide
Giving it a little spritzing, trying to slow down the flat
20210927_105539.jpg

Interesting to see the low stall temperature
Screenshot_20210927-122310_FireBoard.jpg

Last edited:
Finished results. Melt in your mouth tender. Texture is hard to describe, maybe a cross between a normal brisket and a normally cooked roast. The point is amazing, moist and tender. It has a beautiful smoke ring as well. The meat, although cooked to 132°F in the sous vide, chilled, and then smoked, will absorb smoke. I am amazed how tender this is, yet doesn't 'fall apart'.
So in the end, yes you can sous vide a brisket and serve it medium to medium rare.
I will let these pictures speak for themselves
20210927_161924.jpg
20210927_161934.jpg20210927_161950.jpg20210927_162241.jpg20210927_162246.jpg20210927_162643.jpg20210927_162649.jpg

Back