What's for dinner tonight? Dinner ideas?

Cooking a Steelhead fillet.
Using the recipe Matt Pittman just released on cooking a salmon
Furtado Farms Pecan Pellets
Deez Nutz rub
Maple butter glaze
20210803_155158.jpg20210803_161410.jpg
Finished nicely
20210803_163309.jpg

Last edited:
Cooking a Steelhead fillet.
Using the recipe Matt Pittman just released on cooking a salmon
Furtado Farms Pecan Pellets
Deez Nutz rub
Maple butter glaze
What intrigued me was his use of butcher paper to cook fish! This might save me from having to buy a cedar plank. How did that work for you?

What intrigued me was his use of butcher paper to cook fish! This might save me from having to buy a cedar plank. How did that work for you?
It worked great. The skin stays on the paper, so if you are a fan of crispy skin, this wouldn't be a method for you.
Cedar planks impart a bit of flavor into the fish, so they are nice to use as well.
The paper is easy, so I will be doing this again

Last edited:
It worked great. The skin stays on the paper, so if you are a fan of crispy skin, this wouldn't be a method for you.
Cedar planks impart a bit of flavor into the fish, so they ate nice to use as well.
The paper is easy, so I will be doing this again
Just told the wife I'm doing this, such a great idea.
I got 2 whole chickens to cook first... but I'm doing this.

This peach paper idea is great!!! I tried putting my smoke tube on peach paper, I got a whole lot more smoke!!!
image012.gif

Best chicken I have cooked on the Traeger.
375°F, from start to finish. Chicken thighs and lollipop drumsticks
Holy Voodoo and Dixon competition chicken rub. Sauced half with Keto BBQ sauce, half with Bullseye BBQ the last 5 minutes.
Crispy skin and lots of flavor, and even a hint of smoke flavor. Furtado Farms Pecan Pellets again today.
20210804_172957.jpg20210804_173008.jpg20210804_173012.jpg

And yes, even some thin blue smoke at 375°F. It is possible......dare to dream😊
20210804_162904.jpg

And yes, even some thin blue smoke at 375°F. It is possible......dare to dream😊
I assume you used smoke tubes? Love the multicolored probe holders!

Also, are those disposable racks you are using for the chicken?

I assume you used smoke tubes? Love the multicolored probe holders!

Also, are those disposable racks you are using for the chicken?
You assumed incorrectly, that is all Traeger produced smoke with the Furtado Farms pellets
Those are reusable baking sheets from. Amazon. Dishwasher safe and keep stuff off of the racks.

You assumed incorrectly, that is all Traeger produced smoke with the Furtado Farms pellets
Very interesting! My Traeger produces almost no smoke when it goes above 300 degrees. Must be your pellets.

Jeremy Yoder (The Mad Scientist) did some videos to figure out why offset smokers are so much better than pellet grills for producing smoke flavor. It comes down to moisture in the wood/pellets. Pellets have very little moisture. Kiln-dried wood also has very little moisture and when used in an offset smoker will produce almost no smoke flavor. I wonder if your Furtado Farms pellets have a higher moisture content producing that smoke.

Very interesting! My Traeger produces almost no smoke when it goes above 300 degrees. Must be your pellets.

Jeremy Yoder (The Mad Scientist) did some videos to figure out why offset smokers are so much better than pellet grills for producing smoke flavor. It comes down to moisture in the wood/pellets. Pellets have very little moisture. Kiln-dried wood also has very little moisture and when used in an offset smoker will produce almost no smoke flavor. I wonder if your Furtado Farms pellets have a higher moisture content producing that smoke.
I haven't seen that kind of smoke at those temps on my Traeger before. I usually cook chicken on my Kamado because I like crispy skin and smoked flavor
I watched his experiment with drying the pellets and weighing them. Pellets can never compare to stick wood
Not sure on the moisture content on these pellets. I tried them last year, had a few bags and thought they were alright. I bought 7 bags for this summer of different varieties and I am seeing a lot more smoke from them. My back bacon recently almost seemed to have too much smoke. I did use a smoke tube with that 4 hour cook.
The amount of smoke definitely seems to be pellet related.

I haven't seen that kind of smoke at those temps on my Traeger before. I usually cook chicken on my Kamado because I like crispy skin and smoked flavor
I watched his experiment with drying the pellets and weighing them. Pellets can never compare to stick wood
Not sure on the moisture content on these pellets. I tried them last year, had a few bags and thought they were alright. I bought 7 bags for this summer of different varieties and I am seeing a lot more smoke from them. My back bacon recently almost seemed to have too much smoke. I did use a smoke tube with that 4 hour cook.
The amount of smoke definitely seems to be pellet related.
I looked up where to buy Furtado Farms pellets and for once the roles are reversed. They seem to be widely available in Canada and for shipping only in Canada. Not available anywhere South of the Border. They are currently running a sale at $30 CDN for 30 lb bags.

I live only an hour from the border so I could make a trip, but the pandemic complicates everything.

Back