What's for dinner tonight? Dinner ideas?

We finally got our boil water notice rescinded this afternoon, so I’m gonna be cooking something tomorrow.
Yaaayyy! Lookin forward to it!

In the Traeger today for 8 hours
View attachment 4406
This was a 6.5lb brisket which I had brined for 5 days. I used the Katz's Pastrami rub to cook for 5 hours (internal 158f) wrapped in foil and cooked for 3 hours until IT was 200F. Came out fantastic, the picture does not give it justice. It tasted great. We had rye bread, Sauerkraut, Russian dressing, swiss cheese and the meat piled up with a chilli gherkin on the side. Will do this one again & again.
IMG_1348.JPG

This was a 6.5lb brisket which I had brined for 5 days. I used the Katz's Pastrami rub to cook for 5 hours (internal 158f) wrapped in foil and cooked for 3 hours until IT was 200F. Came out fantastic, the picture does not give it justice. It tasted great. We had rye bread, Sauerkraut, Russian dressing, swiss cheese and the meat piled up with a chilli gherkin on the side. Will do this one again & again.View attachment 4435
Hey Dave was this the Meathead recipe?

Looks great Dav

Sorry that should have been Smoked and cured which is currently offline

I don't see the recipe on the site

HOMEMADE PASTRAMI RECIPE​

Ingredients:

Homemade Pastrami:

Russian Dressing

• 1 brown onion, chopped
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup BBQ Hot Sauce
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
Reuben sandwich:

• 2 slices of rye bread
  • 1 tbsp sauerkraut
  • Homemade Pastrami
  • Russian dressing
  • Swiss cheese
  • Gherkins

Method:

1. Add 4 litres of room temperature water to a big tub.
  2. Add kosher salt, ground bay leaves, chilli flakes, cracked pepper, dried rosemary and 6.25% curing salt. Stir well.
  3. Optional: Place over a gentle heat and continue stirring until all salt and sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat, allow to cool completely.
  4. Add brisket to tub. Submerge completely. Place a weight (eg a dinner plate) on top to ensure the meat stays completely under the brine. Refrigerate for 4-5 days.
  5. Remove and rinse thoroughly, ensuring all excess salt, cure and spices have been removed (by this time, they’ve already done their magic and we no longer need them). Coat completely with Misty Gully Pastrami seasoning.
  6. Place in smoker or oven at 110°c for 3-4 hours, until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 70°c.
  7. Remove from smoker/oven and wrap tightly with foil. (Optional step – add a small amount of beef stock at this stage 30-50ml)
  8. Return to the oven/smoker and cook until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 94°c. This will probably take another 3-4 hours.
  9. If eating hot – leave brisket wrapped in foil, wrap in a beach towel and place in a cool place for at least 60 minutes before slicing and serving. If eating cold – allow to cool, then store in the fridge. It will last for up to 10 days.
  10. Enjoy!
Russian Dressing:

1. Combine onion, mayo, BBQ hot sauce and paprika in a bowl.
  2. Mix well.

I smoked a couple pork butts today. Both slathered with yellow mustard. One rubbed with Buc-ee's Rib and BBQ seasoning. The other rubbed with Pork candy sweet Hickory rub.

Both turned out amazing. Put them on the grill at 0630 at 250 dregrees, at 1500 bumped temp to 300 pulled them off at 1715pm when internal temp hit 203 degrees. Let rest for an hour and a half wrapped in foil pan and the meat just fell off the bone.. Probably the best butt's I've done to date. Cooked both fat side down... I did not wrap and probably never will wrap a butt again unless pressed for time.

Attachments

• IMG_2599.jpg
    IMG_2599.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2600.jpg
    IMG_2600.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 40
goodjob.gif

Put them on the grill at 0630 at 250 dregrees, at 1500 bumped temp to 300 pulled them off at 1715pm

That's the way and temps I'm more used to in my wood smokers... never had a bad one, never wrapped during cook, always after tho.. foil, towel and cooler but quite frankly an air tight foil pan will do almost the same thing

View attachment 4446

That's the way and temps I'm more used to in my wood smokers... never had a bad one, never wrapped during cook, always after tho.. foil, towel and cooler but quite frankly an air tight foil pan will do almost the same thing
I am still playing with temps... This has been the best so far... So will probably stick with this method until i try something new. I like to try new ways of doing things...

HOMEMADE PASTRAMI RECIPE​

Ingredients:

Homemade Pastrami:

Russian Dressing

• 1 brown onion, chopped
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup BBQ Hot Sauce
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
Reuben sandwich:

• 2 slices of rye bread
  • 1 tbsp sauerkraut
  • Homemade Pastrami
  • Russian dressing
  • Swiss cheese
  • Gherkins

Method:

1. Add 4 litres of room temperature water to a big tub.
  2. Add kosher salt, ground bay leaves, chilli flakes, cracked pepper, dried rosemary and 6.25% curing salt. Stir well.
  3. Optional: Place over a gentle heat and continue stirring until all salt and sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat, allow to cool completely.
  4. Add brisket to tub. Submerge completely. Place a weight (eg a dinner plate) on top to ensure the meat stays completely under the brine. Refrigerate for 4-5 days.
  5. Remove and rinse thoroughly, ensuring all excess salt, cure and spices have been removed (by this time, they’ve already done their magic and we no longer need them). Coat completely with Misty Gully Pastrami seasoning.
  6. Place in smoker or oven at 110°c for 3-4 hours, until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 70°c.
  7. Remove from smoker/oven and wrap tightly with foil. (Optional step – add a small amount of beef stock at this stage 30-50ml)
  8. Return to the oven/smoker and cook until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 94°c. This will probably take another 3-4 hours.
  9. If eating hot – leave brisket wrapped in foil, wrap in a beach towel and place in a cool place for at least 60 minutes before slicing and serving. If eating cold – allow to cool, then store in the fridge. It will last for up to 10 days.
  10. Enjoy!
Russian Dressing:

1. Combine onion, mayo, BBQ hot sauce and paprika in a bowl.
  2. Mix well.
Thanks, the site was down and I couldn't get in. This would have to be in my top 5 meals I have ever cooked. With the Russian sauce, sauerkraut and swiss cheese all on rye it was so full of wonderful tastes. Anyone can do this but watch your curing salt amount.
(Can you guys handle metric measurements and weights?)

I have Instacure #1 pink... this is all I need to know
1.18 tsp

How Many Teaspoons Are in a Gram?
GramsTeaspoons
5 grams1.18 tsp

I updated the recipe with US values

I am still playing with temps... This has been the best so far... So will probably stick with this method until i try something new. I like to try new ways of doing things...

Well, like I said I'm a huge fan of those higher end temps on Butts, and with Traeger's convection that 'skins' over all meats it cooks, Butts should have no problem staying real moist yet a deep burned in BARK!!! Yours looked amazing!!!
I'm a fan of FAT UP tho... no biggie, I just never did like those grill marks and soft bottom, and I think the FAT bastes.

Back