What's for dinner tonight? Dinner ideas?

Once again the Fam voted for Salmon tonight. I was eager to try the GrillGrates for the initial sear of the flesh side. It was not very good, I think they were too hot!

In the past I used 500F and this would give fair grill marks. Figuring GrillGrates run hotter I used 450F. The salmon had olive oil based marinade plus I spray oiled the GrillGrates. At 2 min the flesh was stuck to the grates, so I got grooves in the salmon instead of grill marks.

Do any of you have fish experience? I'm thinking 350F next time? Maybe 1 min?

Tasted great but I am after presentation!

5B56FB21-8134-41E3-8635-DCFC8C3E8875.jpeg

I've never been able to introduce salmon to anything HOT without damage either... oil or not...
reverse sear is the only hope and then I think some places might cheat and STAMP grill marks on. I dunno, you know salmon better than I do, and I do a lot of salmon too... but I'm thinking you have to do it for LESS time like you suspect.... maybe even only in the seconds...

My wife loved grilled cedar-planked salmon steaks. After soaking the plank in water for a few hours, I would paint the salmon with Dijon Mustard, and crumble some light brown sugar over top. Onto the gas grill (this was pre-Traeger) to an IT of 135*F. Happy wife, happy life. And no sticking!

My wife loved grilled cedar-planked salmon steaks. After soaking the plank in water for a few hours, I would paint the salmon with Dijon Mustard, and crumble some light brown sugar over top. Onto the gas grill (this was pre-Traeger) to an IT of 135*F. Happy wife, happy life. And no sticking!
I have the cook down, just going for style points. Once the flesh side gets its grill marks I flip skin side down straight on the grill to IT of 135F. Then slide wide spatula under meat, leaving skin behind on the grate. I will figure out how to get those grill stripes!

I have the cook down, just going for style points. Once the flesh side gets its grill marks I flip skin side down straight on the grill to IT of 135F. Then slide wide spatula under meat, leaving skin behind on the grate. I will figure out how to get those grill stripes!
I cook salmon at 400 degrees on the grillgrate, about 6 minutes. No flip. I cook to about 115 internal temperature, for medium rare. I flip the salmon when plating to display some grill marks. With good fish I think it’s more important to have moist flesh than beautiful grill marks.

what was you temp?

[QUOTE="RemE, post: 13530, member: 317"
[/QUOTE]
Sorry. Misinterpreted your question.

Tonight I jumped into the Traeger’d-boneless-St. Louis-cut-rib-sandwich, à la McDonald’s legendary McRib arena (full disclosure...I’ve never actually had a McRib, but the concept (and their marketing photos) intrigued me).
Traeger’d up a rack of WinCo St. Louis cut ribs as I usually do, but scoring the skin over each bone on the underside and foil-wrapping for 2 hours instead of my normal 1 hour 15 minutes to get more tender.
@6 hours, pulled to rest, grilled Crostini bun, treated with Famous Dave’s Rich n Sassy, dill pickle slices, and chopped red onion.
Delicious adventure.
Neat new way to eat ribs, but...Next time (and there will be a next time...)
1) Start with a higher quality rack
2) Trim away all cartilage areas
3) Bump temps one notch at each level to get a bit more tender at finish
4) Maybe large chop Walla Walla Sweet onion instead of small chop red
5) Add photo of Top o’ the Ribs

Attachments

• 29BD7E15-B8EF-4DA8-9544-076941B311D4.jpeg
    29BD7E15-B8EF-4DA8-9544-076941B311D4.jpeg
    219.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 09E71CCB-5A24-482F-8F95-C2B16960E168.jpeg
    09E71CCB-5A24-482F-8F95-C2B16960E168.jpeg
    168 KB · Views: 46
  • F0C97C86-984E-4E2F-B2E9-722D26EDC20D.jpeg
    F0C97C86-984E-4E2F-B2E9-722D26EDC20D.jpeg
    164.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Tonight I jumped into the Traeger’d-boneless-St. Louis-cut-rib-sandwich, à la McDonald’s legendary McRib arena (full disclosure...I’ve never actually had a McRib, but the concept (and their marketing photos) intrigued me).
Traeger’d up a rack of WinCo St. Louis cut ribs as I usually do, but scoring the skin over each bone on the underside and foil-wrapping for 2 hours instead of my normal 1 hour 15 minutes to get more tender.
@6 hours, pulled to rest, grilled Crostini bun, treated with Famous Dave’s Rich n Sassy, dill pickle slices, and chopped red onion.
Delicious adventure.
Neat new way to eat ribs, but...Next time (and there will be a next time...)
1) Start with a higher quality rack
2) Trim away all cartilage areas
3) Bump temps one notch at each level to get a bit more tender at finish
4) Maybe large chop Walla Walla Sweet onion instead of small chop red
5) Add photo of Top o’ the Ribs
Can't say I have never had a McRib. They are my guilty pleasure. You either love them or hate them. I like the idea of a boneless rib sandwich on the Traeger.
I came across this recipe last week

One of our local BBQ joints sells "PULLED RIB" meat/sandwich... same idea, has to be tender enough to FALL OFF the bone and then pulled like pork butt...

Last edited:
I love Mcribs! No pickle extra onions!!!

Ill have to try these ideas!

Back