What's cooking today? 🔥 Pics are necessary!

Spatchcock BBQ Chicken.
Chicken turned out pretty good. I tried using a pan of water underneath to make clean up easier. Not sure if I’ll do that again. It seemed to make the heat uneven and the skin didn’t crisp up as usual. In fact I had to crank up the heat to max at the end to try to crisp it up (with one casualty, see “must have” accessories thread.

Attachments

• 10787AB4-49A0-4719-B56C-612728C1DF33.jpeg
    10787AB4-49A0-4719-B56C-612728C1DF33.jpeg
    306.2 KB · Views: 21
  • C07957C5-F1FC-4FBB-8B11-8342CBB5FF6F.jpeg
    C07957C5-F1FC-4FBB-8B11-8342CBB5FF6F.jpeg
    304.1 KB · Views: 23
Are those just bacon wrapped hot dogs? If it’s more involved please send a link to the recipe!!! Yum!!
-PH
I got these at Walmart, they are a smoked sausage about 1 1/2” long. You can get them at most grocery stores.
BEAAAC06-9ECE-4D43-8684-C3D4AAB284DA.jpeg

Well - Although I've already posted a couple time I am new to this board. As my second time using my early Fathers Day present (Pro 780) I did the Traeger Spatchcocked Chicken (https://www.traeger.com/recipes/bbq-spatchcocked-chicken) and it turned out pretty good. I followed the recipe to the letter since it was my first time. I think next time, I'll crank the temp up a bit to finish the skin more crusty. That said, the Traeger Chicken Rub and Sweet & Heat BBQ Sauce are really good. Pics below...

Attachments

• IMG_0853.jpeg
    IMG_0853.jpeg
    336.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0854.jpeg
    IMG_0854.jpeg
    343.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0856.jpeg
    IMG_0856.jpeg
    328.1 KB · Views: 15
Prepping for tomorrow night's dinner
Having a little pig dinner
Will do some mac'n'cheese and some bacon wrapped pickles as well. Traeger is going to see some of the work tomorrow
20220617_161844.jpg20220617_161850.jpg20220617_161857.jpg

Prepping for tomorrow night's dinner
Having a little pig dinner
Will do some mac'n'cheese and some bacon wrapped pickles as well. Traeger is going to see some of the work tomorrow
Whoa!!! Carolina style whole hog?

Whoa!!! Carolina style whole hog?
25 LB suckling. Brined with apple juice, pineapple juice and some butter bath and spices. Cavity has been doused with Meat Church Honey Hog and it is put to bed in the fridge for the night. I will prop it up "running style" in the smoker tomorrow morning.
I grabbed a bag of GMG fruit wood mix pellets. I will give that a try for the pellets

Where'd you guy it from? Was it that place mentioned in past threads about doing little pigs. I came close but my 575 barely holds a big brisket

Where'd you guy it from? Was it that place mentioned in past threads about doing little pigs. I came close but my 575 barely holds a big brisket
Ordered it from a local butcher. Had to order it 2 weeks in advance.
I will measure this one out once it's in position just to get a approximate length for the weight. Seen lots of videos of people cooking them on Kamado grills, those are smaller than the 575 in area. You can get creative in placement and how you position it to cook.

I think Stryker Farms in the US ships pigs, but we can't use any of those services north of the 49th parallel. Also commercial Costco stores (restaurant supply) carry frozen pigs in the US. I have never seen a commercial Costco up here.

Here in the Chicago suburbs, the weather today was perfect for grilling: 72 F with a light breeze and blue skies. It was a perfect day to smoke a rack of ribs for Father's Day weekend.

I purchased a full pork spare rib. I elected not to trim it down to St Louis style. I dried the surface, applied a thin layer of mustard as a binder and then applied three layers of dry rub. Then it went into the fridge last night.

Here are the ribs ready for smoking. The yellow color of the mustard dominates.

Ribs Ready for the Traeger.jpg

I pulled the meat out of the fridge about 1 1/2 hours before grill time to allow it to come up closer to room temp. I planned to follow the 3-2-1 process.

The Ironwood 885 was charged with Bear Mountain Gourmet BBQ blend pellets. I put the ribs on the grill as soon as I ignited the pellets to allow the meat to receive the initial burst of smoke during the startup process. The grill temp was set to 225 F.

My goal was to reach an internal temp of 155 F in about three hours. However, because these were full spare ribs, including the tips, it took a few minutes longer. I pulled them off the grill for wrapping after about 3 hours 15 minutes. Here are the ribs just before wrapping. They are starting to look pretty good. The bark is not heavy as I only applied thin layers of dry rub.

Ribs Ready to Wrap.jpg

After two hours of braising in sealed foil, the internal temperature had reached 187 F. Here is the result. They are ready for sauce. At this point, I noted that the earlier portions of the cook had been done with the bones up rather than down. LI will fix that next time.

Ribs after Foil.jpg

The ribs continued to cook to a temp of 195 F for another hour. I basted them every 15 minutes with a combination of BBQ sauces and the juices from the braising. The ribs rested in foil for 1/2 hour before dinner. The final result.

Rack O' Ribs.jpg

This was my first attempt ever at cooking ribs, so I was pleased with the results. The ribs were not quite "fall off the bone", but they were tender and tasty. So it was another cook in the winner column.

Back