What type of smoker cleaner do you use?

I’ve just been wiping with paper towels after using while still warm. Still enough grease left behind to rustproof and season. Never saw a need to clean a grill with soaps or degreasers or chemicals. So far, so good.

Just curious what everyone uses to clean the inside walls of their Traeger. They can get quite greasy, especially the opening to the grease bucket. Traeger sells the BAC403 cleaner. How does it work and is it worth the $15 on Amazon?
Don’t worry about it. Just wipe it down after every 4-5 you use the grill.

You want to remove the "seasoning" from the smoking chamber? Why would you do that? Do you scrub your cast iron cookware to a high gloss metal shine after use? Note that none of the big-dog BBQ champions clean their cookers that way.

Just curious what everyone uses to clean the inside walls of their Traeger. They can get quite greasy, especially the opening to the grease bucket. Traeger sells the BAC403 cleaner. How does it work and is it worth the $15 on Amazon?
Hi Delta, can't say I agree with all the folks who leave the grease/soot/ash build up on their smokers from cook to cook! A dirty smoker can cause all kinds of problems from grease fires to bad smoke that will make your meat taste disgusting. Ruining a quality cut of meat (at todays' prices!) should be a non-starter. I use Spray Nine (4L @ ~$20.00) it cleans, degreases and disinfects your smoker surfaces. As a rule I clean the grates after every cook and, depending on the build-up, will clean the entire inside surfaces every 3-4 smokes, vacuum out the ash, and change the foil on the drip pan.
spray nine.png

Hi Delta, can't say I agree with all the folks who leave the grease/soot/ash build up on their smokers from cook to cook! A dirty smoker can cause all kinds of problems from grease fires to bad smoke that will make your meat taste disgusting. Ruining a quality cut of meat (at todays' prices!) should be a non-starter. I use Spray Nine (4L @ ~$20.00) it cleans, degreases and disinfects your smoker surfaces. As a rule I clean the grates after every cook and, depending on the build-up, will clean the entire inside surfaces every 3-4 smokes, vacuum out the ash, and change the foil on the drip pan.
View attachment 9636
Is that your actual experience? I've read a number of posts on the web about grease fires, bad smoke, health issues, etc, etc. but I have yet to talk to anyone who has actually had a problem with leaving a smoker seasoned between cooks. I do remove the ash after almost every cook and scrap out the drip ledge once in a while, but never clean the interior walls of the smoker.

Is that your actual experience? I've read a number of posts on the web about grease fires, bad smoke, health issues, etc, etc. but I have yet to talk to anyone who has actually had a problem with leaving a smoker seasoned between cooks. I do remove the ash after almost every cook and scrap out the drip ledge once in a while, but never clean the interior walls of the smoker.
I clean the inside of mine after every cook with the Traeger cleaner.
View attachment 9636

I agree with what you said. I clean the inside of mine after every cook with the Traeger cleaner, clean the grates and vacuum the ash. I am very meticulous about my stuff, so I always take very good care of it. I would prefer to keep it clean after every cook to eliminate any grease fires or anything like that.

I agree with what you said. I clean the inside of mine after every cook with the Traeger cleaner, clean the grates and vacuum the ash. I am very meticulous about my stuff, so I always take very good care of it. I would prefer to keep it clean after every cook to eliminate any grease fires or anything like that.
oh my. 😳

There’s actually a benefit to not cleaning after every use (vacuum ash aside).

I’ve never had a grease fire. Keep your grease trap flowing and grill level and you’ll be just fine!

Well, I've never cleaned my side box stick burner smokers... aside from the grates and grease buildup in the bottom... most cleaning comes from a good BURN OFF.
I'd think it's actually not health to use Traeger cleaner after every use... that cleaner has to leave some residue that needs to be burnt off before adding food... I'd never do that, sorry.
I did that after my 1st cook, then it hit me, smoke is the best coating this grill can have. Like 'DUH' since I've owned about 15 other smokers.

I'm a big fan of How to BBQ Right's cleaner.

There’s actually a benefit to not cleaning after every use (vacuum ash aside).

I’ve never had a grease fire. Keep your grease trap flowing and grill level and you’ll be just fine!
Yes, this. Some ash will adhere to the grease/soot/creosote etc. and actually create a buffer. Grease fires occur when animal fat is above 375 degrees and is usually started on the drip tray/deflector or below. There are always exceptions but if you pay attention to your drip tray and what you have cooked before a high heat cook you will be fine. In other words, don’t do two briskets with no drip tray or cleanup and then immediately after your done crank the cooker to high. That would be asking for it.

That said, you do whatever makes you happy.

I’m definitely going to continue cleaning it after every use. I like my stuff nice and clean, and doing things this way has always served me well.

No I have not had grease fires and the like. I take pride in my BB
Oops too fast on the draw!
No I have not had grease fires and the like. As I take pride in my BBq's, I keep them all clean after every cook. That way my smoker/bbq experiences have all been good and without incidents. Ever look into someone's oven that has never been cleaned? No very appealing is it? I feel the same about outside cookers. Anyway not going to condemn anyone who doesn't clean after each cook. Do whatever works for you!:giggle:

I’m definitely going to continue cleaning it after every use. I like my stuff nice and clean, and doing things this way has always served me well.
I wasn't trying to change your mind... you gotta be you

Latest Discussions

Back