What type of smoker cleaner do you use?

Delta

Reaction score
Grill
Silverton 620
Just curious what everyone uses to clean the inside walls of their Traeger. They can get quite greasy, especially the opening to the grease bucket. Traeger sells the BAC403 cleaner. How does it work and is it worth the $15 on Amazon?

Several are just as good as others... I have the Traeger one and Simple green BBQ foam... I haven't used either one in over a year. I just crank my grill to over 400° and let it burn off.

I have learned from Slim! For outdoor cooking don't worry about the grease too much. Grease actually prevents rust and excessive cleaning is what you need to worry about as it can promote rust. I suggest you wipe off the excess grease but don't bother removing it completely.

I use Citrusafe BBQ cleaner form Wal-Mart. Seems to work OK. I have used the SimpleGreen foam but I knocked over the can and broke the nozzle on two different cans on back to back weekends and instead of getting smart, I just stopped using it!

I rarely do a deep clean inside the grill...mostly just spray some in the grease trap, wipe off some excess from lid, sides, etc, and will clean the heat deflector. I mostly use it for outside surface areas that have grease drippings and spills.

I'm a big fan of this stuff. You can get gallon jugs to refill as well at Lowe's or HD.

1654699653469.png

I have learned from Slim! For outdoor cooking don't worry about the grease too much. Grease actually prevents rust and excessive cleaning is what you need to worry about as it can promote rust. I suggest you wipe off the excess grease but don't bother removing it completely.
THIS^^^^^

I believe some call it seasoning. Now if you ever get a situation where gross gunk is somehow ending up on your food product then by all means give it some cleaning. For me. I only concentrate on the cooking grids and the exterior a little bit.

Agree with the seasoning comment and the level of seasoning. It develops over time and adds to the flavor profile the smoker provides. But if it drips in or flakes off into your food, that should be cleaned.
The 'residue' also helps eliminate ash. The grease or seasoning on the wall is an attractant to the particles. When people burn in their smokers and find ash residue or gray from the ash, they could use a bit of cooking oil spray to start the seasoning quicker.

I second the citrus degreaser. It works very well for me.

Well I clean the outside 2 times a month and after ever cook I vacuum ash out but other then that I don't do anything crazy

Just curious what everyone uses to clean the inside walls of their Traeger. They can get quite greasy, especially the opening to the grease bucket. Traeger sells the BAC403 cleaner. How does it work and is it worth the $15 on Amazon?
I use Greased Lightning only for the grease trap and chute. I make sure to wipe it all out before cooking. I think it also helps to keep varmints out of my grease bucket.

When I do clean my traeger (which isn’t very often, just a good vacuum) I use the traeger cleaner. Since I purchased my traeger I’ve boughten 3 bottle of it. June 2020.

The Traeger cleaner is $$ compared to other cleaners. I’m sure they put it out there for a reason and I’m sure it gets the job done. But there’s got to be other ways to clean the inside and outside of our T grills. I’ve been using Simple Green diluted with water. No not the SG grill foam cleaner. Just good ole SG.

The Traeger cleaner is $$ compared to other cleaners. I’m sure they put it out there for a reason and I’m sure it gets the job done. But there’s got to be other ways to clean the inside and outside of our T grills. I’ve been using Simple Green diluted with water. No not the SG grill foam cleaner. Just good ole SG.
The Traeger cleaner is highly regarded within the bbq community. It’s non toxic and environmentally safe. Does a great job. Can’t say that about every product, but the cleaner is a winner for sure.

The Traeger cleaner is highly regarded within the bbq community. It’s non toxic and environmentally safe. Does a great job. Can’t say that about every product, but the cleaner is a winner for sure.
Then I shall try it. Thx.

Back