What temp for wings?

backstash

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
Do you guys "smoke" your wings at a low temp or do you crank the heat up like a grill?
I cooked at 400 last week and they were incredible. However, I think I want more smoke flavor.

Answers to this will be all over the place, so here's mine:

I cooked a batch of wings last week - second cook on my Pro 34. I brined them overnight, dried them, rubbed with olive oil, and sprinkled a coat of fajita seasoning on them before heading to the smoker. I ran the smoker at 180 for the first hour to get some good smoke on the wings, the set it on 225 until I got to 160 on a drumette. For the final part, I set the smoker to 350 for a half hour. The wings were great!

On a different smoker, I've run it at 225 until I get the look and feel I want - usually 4-5 hours.

I have tried a few different methods and they all turn out great. It really comes down to how much time you want to spend cooking lol. My go to is at 275 and crank them up to 325 to finish them. I think you need to be careful with poultry as you need to get it through the danger zone quickly. The danger zone with poultry is when the internal temp is between 40 and 140f. You should always try to ramp it up during this period in my opinion. Same thing with turkey. I don't smoke turkey at 225 (I know lots who do however) as I think it is too low and slow to get through the danger zone as well as to ensure the skin is crispy.

Do you guys "smoke" your wings at a low temp or do you crank the heat up like a grill?
I cooked at 400 last week and they were incredible. However, I think I want more smoke flavor.
If I want smoke I give them 15-20 minutes on super smoke at 165° and then crank it up to 375°.

Back