What temp does smoker become a grill?

Joshua

Reaction score
Grill
780 Pro
New to the forum so I apologize if there is already a post out there. I have smoked a brisket, chuck roast, turkey and jerky. All on a low temperature, 180. At what temperature does the Traeger stop smoking the food and just grills it? I am trying to figure out if I am still smoking when I get up to 300 degrees for a dish or should I keep it low for longer. Thanks for any advise.

I like to start low and slow. I base my temp on how much time I have. I smoke sausages, burgers, chicken breasts, meatballs, steaks & roasts starting at 165 on supersmoke. Even for a quick burger, ckn breast or snausage. For sausages I just set the temp up to 225 after 20 or 30 min then finish @ 300. Burgers, I'll pull off crank the temp up to 450 and brown. I actually like to finish steaks on my charcoal grill, I go as slow as I can and get the steak to 130/135 then put them on my Weber performer in the centre with charcoal about half way up the baskets and flip after 90 seconds with a Maître d'Hôtel butter until it hits requested temp. This may be heresy but searing on my 650 makes a mess and the weber's easier to clean.

I bought a smoker and to run the Traeger out of range of quality smoke is a sin IMO. Keeping the supersmoke on can produce a totally different and exciting culinary experience. There are days when shake and bake with smashed taters is ok and others when I crave a smoke chicken breast or smoked snausage and peppers. When I have more time a pot roast or like last weekend I made burnt ends (with a well marbled bottom chuck). The chuck roast spent 6 hours @225 1.5hours @275 wrapped and another 1.5 hours @ 225. My pork roasts rarely get over 225, usually just enough to brown them.

To answer your question, you have a Pro and the sweet spot for the newer D2 lineup for smoke is under 225. You'll noticed that in supersmoke the fan cycles and the temperature swings a bit. The fire is allowed to smoulder and generate smoke. The Traeger D2 Controller on supersmoke is prioritised for smoke generation. Smoke requires an inefficient fire, at temps above 225 the controls try and maintain an efficient fire so the flame pot can meet the heat output requirements for higher temperature operation.

Many use a smoke tube to supplement smoke generation. A smoke tubes is just a mesh cylinder filled with pellets that have been lit and allowed to smoulder in the grills lower cavity. One hot efficient flame and one lazy smouldering fire producing smoke. They're cheap unuff so you can try one without breaking the bank

To each his own! ?o_O

I'm retired so I have plenty of time

Last edited:
I like to start low and slow. I base my temp on how much time I have. I smoke sausages, burgers, chicken breasts, meatballs, steaks & roasts starting at 165 on supersmoke. Even for a quick burger, ckn breast or snausage. For sausages I just set the temp up to 225 after 20 or 30 min then finish @ 300. Burgers, I'll pull off crank the temp up to 450 and brown. I actually like to finish steaks on my charcoal grill, I go as slow as I can and get the steak to 130/135 then put them on my Weber performer in the centre with charcoal about half way up the baskets and flip after 90 seconds with a Maître d'Hôtel butter until it hits requested temp. This may be heresy but searing on my 650 makes a mess and the weber's easier to clean.

I bought a smoker and to run the Traeger out of range of quality smoke is a sin IMO. Keeping the supersmoke on can produce a totally different and exciting culinary experience. There are days when shake and bake with smashed taters is ok and others when I crave a smoke chicken breast or smoked snausage and peppers. When I have more time a pot roast or like last weekend I made burnt ends (with a well marbled bottom chuck). The chuck roast spent 6 hours @225 1.5hours @275 wrapped and another 1.5 hours @ 225. My pork roasts rarely get over 225, usually just enough to brown them.

To answer your question, you have a Pro and the sweet spot for the newer D2 lineup for smoke is under 225. You'll noticed that in supersmoke the fan cycles and the temperature swings a bit. The fire is allowed to smoulder and generate smoke. The Traeger D2 Controller on supersmoke is prioritised for smoke generation. Smoke requires an inefficient fire, at temps above 225 the controls try and maintain an efficient fire so the flame pot can meet the heat output requirements for higher temperature operation.

Many use a smoke tube to supplement smoke generation. A smoke tubes is just a mesh cylinder filled with pellets that have been lit and allowed to smoulder in the grills lower cavity. One hot efficient flame and one lazy smouldering fire producing smoke. They're cheap unuff so you can try one without breaking the bank

To each his own! ?o_O

I'm retired so I have plenty of time
Well done!

Latest Discussions

Back