What is the honeycomb thing in the hopper?

OldMayfield

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780
I've been meaning to ask since I got my Pro780:

What is this honeycomb thing in the hopper? What is its purpose? What happens if it is not there?

Attachments

• IMG_3228.jpg
    IMG_3228.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_3229.jpg
    IMG_3229.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 214
To keep you from sticking your fingers in the auger. Sound dumb? Yep, but it's true

No kidding? Wow. Thanks Mr. Bones. So I guess it is no problem if it breaks and I do not replace it.

OPPS, I dropped my ring in the pellets... lemme grab.... AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH (blood everywhere... finger gone, and now ruined pellets...)

Actually, Slimpicker, I dropped one of the screws that holds this thing on the wall of the hopper down in to the auger :mad:. I had removed this thing to empty the hopper and clear the auger so I could vacuum the pellet-dust out of both and dropped the screw trying to reattach it when I was done. Took about 20 minutes (and a lot of bad language) to fish the screw out of there - with the grill powered off of course. Now I use a credit card or something to block the opening of the auger until I screw this thing back in.

mine will NEVER see the light of day to even be installed...

I took mine out as well. Hard to keep the pellets level enough for the sensor to work with that thing in there. Just a CYA part from Traeger. There's someone out there with 9 fingers that's probably a few bucks richer right now.

I got my wingerdingerthinger caught in the whatchamacallit
"Ok will $5000 cover your damages?"

HELL YEAH.. gimme gimme

Traeger meeting: "OKAY staff, we need to design something to cover STUPID"

Last edited:
If you do remove the honeycomb cover, make sure you don't drop the two little screws that hold it in place into your auger.

I removed mine, reinserted the screws, and rest the guard on the screws. That way I just lift it out when I need access. That works fine for my Ironwood; perhaps others are designed differently.

I removed mine, reinserted the screws, and rest the guard on the screws. That way I just lift it out when I need access. That works fine for my Ironwood; perhaps others are designed differently.

Works fine for the Timberline 1300 as well!

Thats brilliant ! I've been using a long martini spoon to flick the pellets about throught the cone, either towards the auger or when I want to empty the bin towards the emptying door.

Latest Discussions

Back