What do I do with a Pork Loin?

TTA89

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
I was a the butcher and bought this thing without even knowing what to do with it. It's not a tenderloin and many of the searches come up for tenderloin. I cut it into 1/4s and froze it which is about 3lbs each. Any recipe suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_20200430_170018.jpg
    IMG_20200430_170018.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 118

We find these on sale quite often. They are huge! Generally we cut 8oz slices off, tenderize (beat the everlasting crap out of them), bread them in egg/crushed ritz crackers and seasoning and bake them and put on buns for a tasty sammich! The rest of them I have smoked several ways. Either rub, and/or wrap with bacon weave, and smoke until desired temp, slice and eat, or use the method above in that link to filet them, and stuff with whatever you want before smoking them. Lots of ways to use them.

I just did the Traeger smoked tenderloin recipe with a twist. Made my own rub (didn’t have Traeger pork and poultry) but followed directions almost to the T. Came out delicious. My girls who hate pork wanted more. Only made a 1.5lb loin because like you we divided our larger one up.
Cooked on smoke setting for about 30-40 mins. Then turned up heat to 225 and cooked for about 1 hour and a half. Internal temp hit 150 where I wanted it and took it off and tented for about 5 minutes.
Pork turned out juicer then I ever had before with a great smoke ring. Used Traegers Special blend pellets. Cooked on the Pro 34 so you may want to use super smoke setting if you have that.
Good luck.
PS- only my third cooking experience with the Traeger and my family is hooked?

Glad it turned out. I love finding those on sale. Last one I did I made half of it into Canadian Bacon and the other half we used for sandwiches and we smoked a larger portion of it. I actually don't have my Traeger just yet, it's supposed to be delivered tomorrow. I've been doing these on a Bradley smoker for years. A family member bought me a Traeger as a gift so looking forward to trying it out very soon. Hopefully I can find some decent meat to smoke in it, things are getting a little sketchy for meat sales around here at the moment!

I went to Costco a few days ago and picked up a 2.3lb asiago and garlic-seasoned pork loin. Oil your grill, and start the smoke setting. After 10 min put the pork loin, fatter side up, on the oiled grill with a temperature probe in the larger end, close the lid, and set a timer for 30 min. Then, turn up the temperature to 225dgf (degrees Fahrenheit). Check at about one and a half hours for your probe temp. The goal is 150dgf. I found that the last 5 to 7 degrees seemed to take a long time....but maybe I was hungry. When it reached 150dgf remove the meat from the grill and wrap in foil for 10 minutes,. Then cut, serve and enjoy. Ours had a 1/4 to 3/8th smoke ring and tasted great. I used hickory pellets.

Back