What do do with brisket fat trimmings?

TheGrumpyGriller

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 1300
Just trimmed a 16 lb full packer and have about a 1/2 tray (like you'd see on a buffet 😉) of trimmings. Any thoughts on using it?

I'm doing Texas style, so just SPG, Starting tonight so I can have it ready tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks!!!

Freeze it and grind it into lean ground to make 75 25.

Use in a pan instead of butter to make rou for gravy.

Melt it while smoking for basting.

Put it in a pan on the Traeger when you are doing the brisket. Render it off and save the Tallow. It is great for cooking with instead of adding oil to the pan, use tallow.
Tallow will keep for a very long time as well.

Put it in a pan on the Traeger when you are doing the brisket. Render it off and save the Tallow. It is great for cooking with instead of adding oil to the pan, use tallow.
Tallow will keep for a very long time as well.
Do you freeze the tallow? Or just keep refrigerated?

Do you freeze the tallow? Or just keep refrigerated?
I have some in the freezer and some in the fridge. If you search out storing tallow you'll get lots of info as to how long it will keep. Seems to be pretty shelf stable.

Here's another use for the beef tallow

If any of you were around when McDonald's first opened, you'll remember how addictively good their fries were. Albeit those were different times and we weren't so health conscious. But heck, we all like to indulge every once in a while

I have some in the freezer and some in the fridge. If you search out storing tallow you'll get lots of info as to how long it will keep. Seems to be pretty shelf stable.
I have a full mason jar of tallow sitting on the counter. From all the fat I cut off on my last brisket. Used it for my brisket when I wrapped with butcher paper. Came out great.

Here's another use for the beef tallow

If any of you were around when McDonald's first opened, you'll remember how addictively good their fries were. Albeit those were different times and we weren't so health conscious. But heck, we all like to indulge every once in a while
MickyD fries are still the best. Worst, In-n-Out.

MickyD fries are still the best. Worst, In-n-Out.
Yes, but they were a lot better when they were cooked in 100% beef tallow. We don't have an In-N-Out here. But among the fast food restaurants, their fries are always great when they are hot off the fryer and not over salted

Yes, but they were a lot better when they were cooked in 100% beef tallow. We don't have an In-N-Out here. But among the fast food restaurants, their fries are always great when they are hot off the fryer and not over salted
What was that fat that some of the fast food joints were using that tasted terrible. It was also used on potato chips. It didn’t last long before the consumers complained.

What was that fat that some of the fast food joints were using that tasted terrible. It was also used on potato chips. It didn’t last long before the consumers complained.
Good old olestra

This is unrelated to the topic but the olestra made me remember another additive that goes wrong, used for sugar free.
Have a look at these reviews, some clever writings for sure. People had too much time on the toilet to pen up some hilarious reviews

Enjoy a few laughs, and no this is not a recommendation to purchase these

If it is prime brisket fat, I save mine for making venison brats. SWMBO will also fry it up and make cracklings too. Yum!

That crackling is so addictive
Hard not to pick away at some after the fat has been rendered

Latest Discussions

Back