PXL_20220914_225155774.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 149
  • PXL_20220914_224744852.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220914_224744852.MP.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 153
  • PXL_20220914_232956053.jpg
    PXL_20220914_232956053.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 159
My 850 hasn't even arrived yet and I'm starting to think I picked the wrong grill. I take a lot of pride in keeping everything I purchase in tip top shape. If the paint bubbles on my brand new $2,300 pit I am going to lose it. I'm seriously thinking about canceling my order and buying a Yoder YS640s instead. It's more expensive, but I've seen no reviews indicating things like this with the Yoder. Is this paint bubbling a rare thing, or is it common? I can understand isolated problems, but if this is chronic I'm absolutely going to cancel the order.

Last edited:
My 850 hasn't even arrived yet and I'm starting to think I picked the wrong grill. I take a lot of pride in keeping everything I purchase in tip top shape. If the paint bubbles on my brand new $2,300 pit I am going to lose it. I'm seriously thinking about canceling my order and buying a Yoder YS640s instead. It's more expensive, but I've seen no reviews indicating things like this with the Yoder. Is this paint bubbling a rare thing, or is it common? I can understand isolated problems, but if this is chronic I'm absolutely going to cancel the order.

I like my Pro 780 very much so take this for whatever it’s worth…

If I had $2K + to buy a new grill I think I’d get the Yoder. Comes with FireBoard technology on-board, thicker steal, direct cook over fire pit and a few other features are desirable to me.

Again, I’m not bashing Traeger, I love mine, I just like the Yoder a little more.

I'm completely conflicted. I'm not keen on the idea of the extra cost of the Yoder. By the time you purchase the cover, and the grease shield that lips over the front of the pit, freight cost and tax the total bill tops $3K. But I am also willing to pay for a product that will retain its quality over time. With that said I purchased the 850 for what I think was a good price on sale ($1,870 out the door), so the difference in cost is material.

Last edited:
I'm completely conflicted. I'm not keen on the idea of the extra cost of the Yoder. By the time you purchase the cover, and the grease shield that lips over the front of the pit, freight cost and tax the total bill tops $3K. But I am also willing to pay for a product that will retain its quality over time. With that said I purchased the 850 for what I think was a good price on sale ($1,870 out the door), so the difference in cost is material.
Buy the grill your budget affords. Like I said, I like my Traeger and I only have the Pro 780. IW is a step up!

I wasn’t trying to talk you out of it, just remarked on what I’d do if I had the $$ to spend!

Buy the grill your budget affords. Like I said, I like my Traeger and I only have the Pro 780. IW is a step up!

I wasn’t trying to talk you out of it, just remarked on what I’d do if I had the $$ to spend!
I understand. I didn't think you were trying to talk me out of either purchase. I appreciate your first hand feedback greatly.

I will add that when I bought my Traeger I was not sure that I would like the pellet grilling. I discovered that I enjoyed it a lot. Right now the combination of Traeger + FireBoard is an excellent system. Maybe someday in the future I'll consider a Yoder.

I’m with @Murphy's Law , I love my Pro 780. That being said, if I could afford a Yoder I would buy one.

I went with the Recteq RT 590 after reading all the complaints on this forum about paint and rust issues. All stainless steel construction, ceramic igniter and PID controller with as much cooking space as my BGE XL. Customer service is great. Temperature control is spot.

I went with the Recteq RT 590 after reading all the complaints on this forum about paint and rust issues. All stainless steel construction, ceramic igniter and PID controller with as much cooking space as my BGE XL. Customer service is great. Temperature control is spot.
I've had 2 RT 590's delivered damaged, now they are shipping a 3rd. Meanwhile the 2 damaged ones are sitting in their boxes on my patio. Not happy with any of these companies. And their customer service is just as bad. If the 3rd is damaged, I will go Yoder. Like my friend says- "Buy once, cry once"

I was comparing between the two last year. After spending $1800 on my Ironwood, I thoroughly wish I had spent the extra $500 for the Yoder. If I were in your shoes knowing what I know now, I would cancel the order and get the Yoder. My only choice at Thais point is to hope my Traeger crashes and burns soon so my wife lets me replace it 😂😂😂

The app for Traeger is trash and their customer service is even worse. Traeger doesn’t even allow you to see your own cooking data in real time. They send it in a newsletter at the beginning of the next month but that means you have to get their spam 2-3 times a week to see your own cook data. They have zero interest in making a change in this.

Plenty of YouTube videos for you on how to touch up or repaint your Yoder out there. Good thing is it will take a lifetime to rust through. Either way, there will be something new and better in a handful of years. Enjoy.

Back