Welcome to the site! Please post an introduction thread!

primeone

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
2023 Ironwood-L
TraegerForum.com is the one of first websites dedicated to Traeger Owners and Enthusiasts. Our goal is to be the go to place for all Traeger pellet grills discussions.

To keep the place friendly, we ask that every new member post up an introduction thread letting us know a little bit about themselves, their current (and future) grills etc.

Please help us keep this site friendly and informative! Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Howdy from the great state of Texas. I have used natural gas, propane, charcoal, and wood to cook with. Most recently it has been charcoal and oak. I have a stick burner that I use oak in. Lately, I have been interested in pellet grills/smokers and have been online researching about them. After a lot of research I have decided to go with Traeger. The model I am interested in is the Ironwood. I'm still trying to determine the size unit I want. I decided I would look for a forum dedicated to Traeger and that is what led me here. I hope to get a lot of information from the members of this forum.

Hi there! Bought my 1st Traeger a few months back. So far so good, but still learning. Used to cooking with charcoal, so the taste is definitely different.
Did a few turkeys and brisket and had a lot of fun doing those. Tasted great!
Nice to have a forum to get some “tips and tricks” from seasoned vets!

Hi there! Bought my 1st Traeger a few months back. So far so good, but still learning. Used to cooking with charcoal, so the taste is definitely different.
Did a few turkeys and brisket and had a lot of fun doing those. Tasted great!
Nice to have a forum to get some “tips and tricks” from seasoned vets!

Welcome to the forum @Landini127 (y)

Greetings from WA. Picked up my first Traeger (Pro 780) last weekend when my electric died. New to pellet smokers, I have used charcoal and electric. The lack of visible smoke when at temp is strange to me. Is this normal for this style of smoker? Looking to learn some new tricks from you veteran Traeger bosses.

Welcome to the forum @BrettsSmoke - Congrats on the new Traeger! It's normal to not see that much smoke. Only on startup does it some like crazy.

Good morning. I am going to have to take some time to get use to the different smoke flavor from the Traeger and play around with some different pellets, and maybe a smoke tube for when I smoke my first brisket on it. Any recommendations for brisket on it?

Good morning. I am going to have to take some time to get use to the different smoke flavor from the Traeger and play around with some different pellets, and maybe a smoke tube for when I smoke my first brisket on it. Any recommendations for brisket on it?
Welcome!!
I've found Oak and Hickory produce the most smoke flavor and at lower temps(165f) Smoke tube helps a lot, especially when full they can last hours. As for Brisket, its the usual 220f till its done will be the overall recommendation. Ive done 180f till its close to wrapping to add more smoke also with a smoke tube. once wrapped, 220f till probe tender! but thats me...

Just signed up for this site. Have been grilling for a long time and have started using a TFB29LZA just recently as my partner had it in his camper for quite a while. I am using all Traeger pellets and have had 2 conversations with Traeger about having a really hard time controlling the temperature. They sent a new RTD kit and i installed that . Then i had a hard time getting it started so another call to Traeger. Seems like that was a bad connection. So, after that, i started the grill and waited for smoke. Closed the lid and set it at 180 degrees. Grill got to 450 before i shut it down. Is that common?? Just cant see how this is not a controller issue??

Just signed up for this site. Have been grilling for a long time and have started using a TFB29LZA just recently as my partner had it in his camper for quite a while. I am using all Traeger pellets and have had 2 conversations with Traeger about having a really hard time controlling the temperature. They sent a new RTD kit and i installed that . Then i had a hard time getting it started so another call to Traeger. Seems like that was a bad connection. So, after that, i started the grill and waited for smoke. Closed the lid and set it at 180 degrees. Grill got to 450 before i shut it down. Is that common?? Just cant see how this is not a controller issue??

Could be a bad temp probe as well. Have you tried giving everything a good cleaning?

Could be a bad temp probe as well. Have you tried giving everything a good cleaning?
I had just installed a new RTD that was sent to me by Traeger. I am just wondering if anyone else has had that problem. I am an engineer and have worked in electronics for over 40 years and it does not make sense to me. I think the processor is not making the right decisions.

They did the same thing to me. Rtd kit is cheaper than the controller. In my case Rtd did not work. I called them, explained that it still had an issue. They sent me a new controller. Trying it out today, so far it is pretty accurate. I have my fingers crossed that there will be no more issues.

They did the same thing to me. Rtd kit is cheaper than the controller. In my case Rtd did not work. I called them, explained that it still had an issue. They sent me a new controller. Trying it out today, so far it is pretty accurate. I have my fingers crossed that there will be no more issues.
Thanks Timmy.
I will be calling them tomorrow.

I’m new to Traeger and the Forum. I acquired an older Lil Tex, model BBQ070, and have just begun to cook with it. Previously I cooked on a Hasty Bake, which I still have. Before I got the Lil Tex I looked at the Pro 575, but with all the WiFi connection and other issues, perhaps I lucked out by getting a seasoned, older model. So far everything has gone well in the Traeger, and I look forward to reading that Traeger has corrected the issues I’ve been reading about.

My wife has a friend that keep posing really good looking ribs and briskets on face book so they got to talking about how much fun it was. So 2 months later we bought a pro 34 last week we have smoked with it once but going after it again this weekend. Looks like all my spare time will be reading the forums and cooking!!

Latest Discussions

Back