Weber Kettle

Murphy's Law

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780 Bronze
I was looking at something like a big green egg but don’t want to drop that much money so I am looking at the old school Weber kettle.

Anyone run a Weber kettle as part of the grilling arsenal?

I want to have a charcoal grill along side the Weber Genesis and Traeger Pro 780.

I agree with the other posters. I have an 18 in Weber for over 10 years and I still have it. Having a Weber chimney and starters are a must. I got the FB with 2 drive so that I can eventually get a fan like @MidwestSmoker posted.

I've been using a webber kettle for probably 25 years now. Super easy to control. Don't see me ever not owning one. As others have said get the chimney starter its a big help.

Weber Kettle is the Old Skool Champ. The best burgers and wings come from the OG. I'd give up all of my other grills before I would the kettle.

Love my Weber kettle, i Honestly use it as much as my Traeger. Which kind of hurts because I bought my kettle on marketplace for $65 and you guys obviously have an idea how much an Ironwood cost in comparison

I picked up the kettle from HD this morning, as well as a tower and cover. The wife is out of town this week so it should be interesting to see what she says when she comes home and sees another grill in the back yard!

I haven't used charcoal in about 20 years other than buying a 5# bag of Kingsford match light to use at a beach front hotel a few years ago. So what's a good brand and/or type to use? Kingsford briquettes, Royal Oak lump charcoal...other?

I picked up the kettle from HD this morning, as well as a tower and cover. The wife is out of town this week so it should be interesting to see what she says when she comes home and sees another grill in the back yard!

I haven't used charcoal in about 20 years other than buying a 5# bag of Kingsford match light to use at a beach front hotel a few years ago. So what's a good brand and/or type to use? Kingsford briquettes, Royal Oak lump charcoal...other?
I am not a charcoal snob and have used a few different brands. I have found pure hardwood briquettes and like using them if I can get them on sale (oak, maple and mesquite woods). But primarily I find myself using whatever is on sale. I use lump in my Kamado exclusively but mainly briquettes in the Weber.
I probably should have paid more attention to brands and types, but I was happy with the results from whatever I used.

Royal oak lump charcoal works and is affordable, if you want to spend more I really enjoy B&B which can be located at most ace hardwares. Look into getting a vortex attachment and you will have wings that triumph Traeger wings which are pretty damn good as well.
idk if it’s an actual rule but lump charcoal tends to burn hotter and faster while briquettes are a more stable heat and burn longer

Royal oak lump charcoal works and is affordable, if you want to spend more I really enjoy B&B which can be located at most ace hardwares. Look into getting a vortex attachment and you will have wings that triumph Traeger wings which are pretty damn good as well.
idk if it’s an actual rule but lump charcoal tends to burn hotter and faster while briquettes are a more stable heat and burn longer

Great, more money i get to spend. :)

Royal Oak gets rave reviews but I haven't used it (yet). I use Frontier (I think it's called) from BJ's or Costco (they both carry it). Kingsford seems to have changed their briquettes to a less dense version a few years ago and I didn't think much of that idea so I switched to lump. I build my charcoal fire in the middle and rotate my wings around it and we love them. I got some other lump charcoal from my local yokel grocery store and the stuff has a high flash point and is hard to get lit. Then, once it's lit, I could run a forge with it. I won't get that stuff again.

Back