Water pan.

Lj13bfa

Reaction score
I am new to pellet smokers. I haven't seen anything said about using water pans like in charcoal smokers. Are they not needed in pellet smokers?

On the last few smokes I did, I set a small water bowl in the back corner. I'm not 100% sure, but the meat seemed to have more moisture after it was finished.

When doing longer cooks I’ll put a pan with some liquid in it to help keep the meat moist. Usually when doing a pork butt or a brisket or when I am not around to spritz the meat

I always do this. Keep that humidity high!

Do you preheat the water before putting it in there?

I don’t but it’s probably not a bad idea.

Attachments

• 370EC4BD-89D0-454C-92DB-6F49B48FC008.jpeg
    370EC4BD-89D0-454C-92DB-6F49B48FC008.jpeg
    191.4 KB · Views: 1,169
I do not usually, mainly because I’ve never really thought about it ?
Weeeellllll...if you put it in there cold #1 It won't evaporate/steam much until it warms up and #2 It will absorb heat and make the grill work harder. When I wrap my prey while it's being cooked and add apple juice or bullion to it I warm that up too before I add it.

Weeeellllll...if you put it in there cold #1 It won't evaporate/steam much until it warms up and #2 It will absorb heat and make the grill work harder. When I wrap my prey while it's being cooked and add apple juice or bullion to it I warm that up too before I add it.
Thanks for the tip, I’ll probably try that out this weekend

I only use the water (usually apple juice btw) pan for long cooks like brisket, beef/pork ribs, etc. Once I get past the stall for the brisket and wrap it, the pan is not necessary. Because of the long cook I'm not that worried about providing humid air for the first hour or so while the liquid warms up, but maybe I should be? It does make sense to warm it up in the microwave prior to putting it in. I'll definitely give it a try.

For those that have tried the water pan, did you notice a difference? Is it something you'll continue to do in the future?

I believe it makes a difference, everything i have read by Pit Masters suggests it is worth adding a water pan particularly for long cooks.

Latest Discussions

Back