Water pan or no water pan?

AvonSmoke

Reaction score
Grill
Century 885
I have read and seen folks who put a water pan in for brisket and ribs and whatever. I have never used one on my Traeger, but wanted to ask if it is recommended?

I use one when I smoke on my Traeger. The video by the Mad Scientist gives a fairly decent explanation of why one may want to use one.

I tried it with my last brisket, used a lot more fuel, didn't notice a difference enough to do it again.

But many swear by the method.

I usually put a cup in the grill for moisture, i also use it to inject.

Attachments

• 20201010_180358.jpg
    20201010_180358.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 871
I use it for brisket and pork butts and it has allowed me to come very close to the results I get from my ceramic grill with less hassle. :)

I highly recommend a water pan for long cooks, especially brisket! If you can place it underneath the meat helps with cleanup so much

This is long, but there is some very good information given

Some tried and true methods proven and debunked based on his experiences. It is well worth the time to watch the whole video
He delves into the Beer can chicken as well

On the subject of water pans and drip pans, here's Meathead's thoughts and reasoning to using one

This is long, but there is some very good information given

Some tried and true methods proven and debunked based on his experiences. It is well worth the time to watch the whole video
He delves into the Beer can chicken as well
That was very educational!!

I have read and seen folks who put a water pan in for brisket and ribs and whatever. I have never used one on my Traeger, but wanted to ask if it is recommended?
I think you can try it, maybe there will be new discoveries!

Lots of pros and cons but the proof will be when you smoke one brisket with and another without. So far I have never needed to as I watch my internal temps closely and do not overcook, but in reality, it can't hurt.

Latest Discussions

Back