Wasp shield

John Dye

Reaction score
Grill
BBQ070
Not sure if anyone else has had an issue of wasps building nests underneath their Treager pellet hopper, but every summer I have to clear a nest or two from underneath mine. If you could just spray under there it wouldn’t be such a problem, but with the fan and sensitive circuit boards etc. underneath the hopper, spray is not really an option. Therefore, clearing the nest without getting stung is always an adventure. Well no more! With a little aluminum sheeting, a few pop rivets and a little crafting, I will never have a wasp again! Check out the pics.

Attachments

• C880345A-9ADC-40E2-958E-D6CED94D274F.jpeg
    C880345A-9ADC-40E2-958E-D6CED94D274F.jpeg
    232.3 KB · Views: 223
  • 49A887CD-892C-4B58-9365-122595A04E7C.jpeg
    49A887CD-892C-4B58-9365-122595A04E7C.jpeg
    180 KB · Views: 178
Not sure if anyone else has had an issue of wasps building nests underneath their Treager pellet hopper, but every summer I have to clear a nest or two from underneath mine. If you could just spray under there it wouldn’t be such a problem, but with the fan and sensitive circuit boards etc. underneath the hopper, spray is not really an option. Therefore, clearing the nest without getting stung is always an adventure. Well no more! With a little aluminum sheeting, a few pop rivets and a little crafting, I will never have a wasp again! Check out the pics.

Hi. So I was on the phone with Traeger tonight as I have an issue with the fan and as I was looking up underneath after I took the cover off out comes a pissed off wasp! How do I get the nest out so I can put the cover back on? I dont want to use chemicals for the reason you state.

Well, it’s not easy as I would have to lay on the ground to look Up into the bottom of the hopper and shine a flashlight up in there to see the wasps/nests, which leaves you very vulnerable. I would have my wife bang on the hopper and I would hit them with wasp spray(not the jet kind) As they came out. Once I had them thinned down or driven out I would crawl underneath and get the nest out. That’s why I eventually built the shield. No problems since!

Invest in a Bug A Salt rifle. Great on flies, moths, & other soft bodied insects. You can take out a stink bug, but it takes multiple well-placed shots, & you subject yourself to chemical warfare retaliation. You can go after wasps, but make sure your aim is true & you have a clear escape path. You never can be sure how many wasps it will take to kick your ass, but you know how many they are going to use (ALL OF THEM!)

I made the mistake of targeting a Yellowjacket one time. I squarely blame my alcohol consumption on this one. I succeeded in dispatching my foe & somehow didn’t get stung in the process, but that was the firefight of my life, & my family & friends laughed their asses off till I swerved their way & that little yellow striped bastard started targeting them ?

I actually do have a Bug a Salt so I'll give that a try. The little bastard landed on my dog and was biting her so I have a score to settle.

You could sell those. If you want to make one to fit a Pro 34, give me your price

Invest in a Bug A Salt rifle. Great on flies, moths, & other soft bodied insects. You can take out a stink bug, but it takes multiple well-placed shots, & you subject yourself to chemical warfare retaliation. You can go after wasps, but make sure your aim is true & you have a clear escape path. You never can be sure how many wasps it will take to kick your ass, but you know how many they are going to use (ALL OF THEM!)

I made the mistake of targeting a Yellowjacket one time. I squarely blame my alcohol consumption on this one. I succeeded in dispatching my foe & somehow didn’t get stung in the process, but that was the firefight of my life, & my family & friends laughed their asses off till I swerved their way & that little yellow striped bastard started targeting them ?

Not sure I'd want to be shooting salt up into the wiring bay :unsure:

Latest Discussions

Back