Was seriously considering an Ironwood but now I don't know

Heatseeker

Reaction score
Reading through issues on here and other pellet grill manufacturers websites, I am having second thoughts about a pellet grill. I am sure that there are people who don't have problems too but at least this forum doesn't delete the posts showing problems. Complaints about customer service concern me as that is an important part of my buying decision. I want to know I will be taken care of if and when problems arise. I do understand that a lot of companies customer service has suffered due to Covid 19. Another thing is that most pellet grills while they can achieve 500 degrees or so, seem to be lacking as far as the results at those temps depending upon what you are trying to do.

Understand your concerns ... it is to be expected that people go online looking for feedback / assistance / to gripe when having issues, so the feedback definitely skews negative ... personally, the grill has met/exceeded expectations when it comes to grilling/cooking (we don't do a lot of smoking since we're eating lean(er) cuts of proteins most of the time) ... my only gripes are around the deficiencies in communications (detailed info / transparency) and self-service capabilities provided through the Traeger website relative to the WiFIRE Controllers themselves ... Traeger is aware of the issues in Customer Service / Support (via open job postings), so there is hope things will eventually improve down the line ...

Reading through issues on here and other pellet grill manufacturers websites, I am having second thoughts about a pellet grill. I am sure that there are people who don't have problems too but at least this forum doesn't delete the posts showing problems. Complaints about customer service concern me as that is an important part of my buying decision. I want to know I will be taken care of if and when problems arise. I do understand that a lot of companies customer service has suffered due to Covid 19. Another thing is that most pellet grills while they can achieve 500 degrees or so, seem to be lacking as far as the results at those temps depending upon what you are trying to do.
I have to second dunaways assessment of the grill exceeding expectations. I use it more for smoking than grilling, but everything I’ve done has been flawless. I have a pro 575, have had zero issues with WiFi, but as you can read, others haven’t been as fortunate. I will say I tried customer service twice for questions and a perceived probe issue, and did not get a call back. But in the end I didn’t need them, I figured it out. For me, the pellet grill has given me a chance to enjoy smoking meat again. I have a big stick smoker I’ve had for years. As I’ve gotten older, to me it’s just not as much fun stoking a fire all night and smelling like smoke at the end of the process. So there are really nice benefits to pellets by just setting and forgetting. I’d hate to see someone turned off based on others negative experiences. But completely understand your concerns. The forum here is a good resource for honest opinions, support from others and learning. Probably the best part of the Traeger line is it’s community. Good luck.

Last edited:
There will always be a percentage of customers with issues when it comes to a product like this (electronics, WiFi, mechanical parts, etc). The issue with relying on forums to make your buying decision is most people on forums are there to resolve issues, not brag about how awesome their purchase is. Search any forum for any expensive, product you own and you could probably convince yourself it’s a bad purchase relying just on forum feedback.

Personally I love my Pro780 and haven’t had any issues that were Traeger’s fault. I had one issue trying to get it onto my network but that is an issue with my eero mesh network (I always have trouble connecting 2.4ghz products to it the first time). I have had it for less than a month and cooked on it for close to 30 hours and still love it. For me, the convenience far outweighs any negatives people have (not enough smoke, can’t sear, etc).

Good luck with your research, hope you land on something you love!

I really like my Ironwood 650. It smokes very well, maintains consistent temperatures extremely well, and the wifi and app are helpful for monitoring, changing temps, alerts, etc. I have made all kinds of meats and veggie sides and even some baked dishes in the Ironwood, and find it to be an excellent appliance. My only complaint is common to virtually all pellet grills, and that is searing. Just getting a pellet-fired cooking box up to 500 degrees is not the same thing as a hot fire directly under or over a piece of meat to rapidly sear the outside, leaving the center pink.

Even for reverse searing something like a Tri-tip or the outside of a chuck roast that I have smoked on the Traeger for some time, I flop it over to my gas-fired Weber grill that I have pre-heated to searing temp when the meat is ready to come off the Traeger.

I replaced my 10 year old Traeger with the Ironwood 885 in April. Couldn't be happier. I have done long cooks, short cooks, and just about anything in between. Since I purchased the Ironwood, I have not fired up my Weber Gas at all. I utilize Grill Grates to Sear and they do an excellent Job. I would not hesitate to purchase again.

I bought my Pro 780 on fathers day this year. Used it once worked great. Second time temp went up over 400 . Called traeger july 5th. Am still waiting on thermocouple. Wish id saved my money.

I use my Ironwood 650 mostly to grill and couldn’t be happier. I’m in a hi-rise and not allowed charcoal or gas. I purchased the GrillGrates and it has made a big difference in the ability to sear at 500 degrees. Nice har on steak and lamb. Crispy skin chicken. I’ve also smoked ribs a few times and they have been great.

Back