WAIT WHAT?

bigbucz

Reaction score
Grill
IRONWOOD 650
Long time Weber owner decided to take the leap toward a Traeger Ironwood 650. I was super excited only to have problems right from the start. Unfortunately I can't get the WI FIRE to connect, so I babysat my first cook. After trying the supersmoke option I was immediately underwhelmed. I was told by the tech support that super smoke doesn't mean more smoke but, Blue smoke! After the second cook I decided that I must be doing something wrong so i turned to Google.

After reading reviews I'm seeing that people are buying extra equipment to add smoke to a A SMOKER. WFT

AM I MISSING SOMETHING?

WELCOME, don't freak out. Traegers don't put out the smoke you are used to using charcoal and wood chunks, but that IN NO WAY means less flavor... https://www.traegergrills.com/support/not-enough-smoke
most here have adjusted to using certain pellets that smoke more, but one of the biggest changes you might wanna try is start your smokes on LOW TEMPS which indeed will give lots of smoke and flavor... then crank the temp up to finish your cooking.
If you truly are a veteran smoker then you will know the meat you are cooking STOPS absorbing smoke after the first 1/3 to halfway mark anyway... so most here start their cooking on lower smokey temps first.

Traegers give GREAT FLAVOR, even when you don't see the smoke, the job is getting done.

Your Wifire will connect, you might just have to read all the querks guys are encountering and I'll bet yours is just something you are overlooking. https://www.traegergrills.com/status

Another important read... https://www.traegergrills.com/support/grill-start-up-guide

Last edited:
Long time Weber owner decided to take the leap toward a Traeger Ironwood 650. I was super excited only to have problems right from the start. Unfortunately I can't get the WI FIRE to connect, so I babysat my first cook. After trying the supersmoke option I was immediately underwhelmed. I was told by the tech support that super smoke doesn't mean more smoke but, Blue smoke! After the second cook I decided that I must be doing something wrong so i turned to Google.

After reading reviews I'm seeing that people are buying extra equipment to add smoke to a A SMOKER. WFT

AM I MISSING SOMETHING?
As mentioned low and slow initially gets you the flavor. I added a smoke generator to do cold smoking with the grill off and cold. Some also use them to boost smoke during cooking but I haven't felt the need. It's all down to personal choice.

In my experience beginning in September 2019 with my IW I cannot say that it was a matter of desiring a stronger smoke flavor as opposed to expecting what I was used to from a variety of charcoal smokers. It took a few weeks for me to come to terms with that but I'm happy that I stuck it out and made only minor tweaks. It's sometimes difficult to confess, but there are times now when I am not well-satisfied with the flavor obtained from charcoal and wood chunks compared to the flavor I experience from pellets. If I'm tempted by the thought that there's no smoky flavor from my pellet smokers I place my smoked meat in a Ziplok bag and throw it in the fridge. Later, I take a whiff and think "yes, that was definitely smoked" and I'm content again. In general, folks aren't going to complain and suggest my food is too smoky but for some of my close family I do know they appreciate a not-too-heavy smoky (or charcoal) flavor. Most dinner guests will offer compliments but tell the truth on their commute home, right? This is not to say you will agree with nor relate to my experience, though.

I tried, then quickly abandoned sub-200f pit temps; I don't start at a temp lower than 225f. I'm not a heavy reader nor a quick convert of the pros (because I want it to be fun and not resemble work) but I read very briefly from two pros who suggest that a good bark formation (where applicable) requires temps north of 200f. I'm a BIG fan of bark, and chose to adopt that belief without much experimentation. Others can probably prove otherwise, but for my personal taste I followed that advice and it worked-well for my interests.

Good luck!

WELCOME, don't freak out. Traegers don't put out the smoke you are used to using charcoal and wood chunks, but that IN NO WAY means less flavor... https://www.traegergrills.com/support/not-enough-smoke
most here have adjusted to using certain pellets that smoke more, but one of the biggest changes you might wanna try is start your smokes on LOW TEMPS which indeed will give lots of smoke and flavor... then crank the temp up to finish your cooking.
If you truly are a veteran smoker then you will know the meat you are cooking STOPS absorbing smoke after the first 1/3 to halfway mark anyway... so most here start their cooking on lower smokey temps first.

Traegers give GREAT FLAVOR, even when you don't see the smoke, the job is getting done.

Your Wifire will connect, you might just have to read all the querks guys are encountering and I'll bet yours is just something you are overlooking. https://www.traegergrills.com/status

Another important read... https://www.traegergrills.com/support/grill-start-up-guide

View attachment 2302
Sorry for the late reply, after using my ironwood for a week or so. I'm happy to report "I 'VE DECIDED TO KEEP MY IRONWOOD"

As mentioned low and slow initially gets you the flavor. I added a smoke generator to do cold smoking with the grill off and cold. Some also use them to boost smoke during cooking but I haven't felt the need. It's all down to personal choice.
A smoke generator really, did that make a big difference?

In my experience beginning in September 2019 with my IW I cannot say that it was a matter of desiring a stronger smoke flavor as opposed to expecting what I was used to from a variety of charcoal smokers. It took a few weeks for me to come to terms with that but I'm happy that I stuck it out and made only minor tweaks. It's sometimes difficult to confess, but there are times now when I am not well-satisfied with the flavor obtained from charcoal and wood chunks compared to the flavor I experience from pellets. If I'm tempted by the thought that there's no smoky flavor from my pellet smokers I place my smoked meat in a Ziplok bag and throw it in the fridge. Later, I take a whiff and think "yes, that was definitely smoked" and I'm content again. In general, folks aren't going to complain and suggest my food is too smoky but for some of my close family I do know they appreciate a not-too-heavy smoky (or charcoal) flavor. Most dinner guests will offer compliments but tell the truth on their commute home, right? This is not to say you will agree with nor relate to my experience, though.

I tried, then quickly abandoned sub-200f pit temps; I don't start at a temp lower than 225f. I'm not a heavy reader nor a quick convert of the pros (because I want it to be fun and not resemble work) but I read very briefly from two pros who suggest that a good bark formation (where applicable) requires temps north of 200f. I'm a BIG fan of bark, and chose to adopt that belief without much experimentation. Others can probably prove otherwise, but for my personal taste I followed that advice and it worked-well for my interests.

Good luck!
Do you own the Ironwood? I bought it for the "supa smoke". I'm under the impression that "supa smoke" is between the range 160f-225f. I've decided starting at 180f is a great starting point!

A smoke generator really, did that make a big difference?
As I mentioned, I added one to my grill for cold smoking. Others have added them for more smoke in all situations and report that it makes it closer to a stick burner. I've never been a stick burner so don't know the difference.

Back