Upgraded from a Pro 34 to an Ironwood 885

Kook87

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885
I've read all the negativity on the 1st gen Ironwood series grills and hoping they have the bugs worked out of these after being on the market over a year. I had really good luck with my Pro 34 that I owned 4 years and used weekly but decided to upgrade to the Ironwood 885 after talking to a couple people that owned them and reading posts online. What I'm really hoping is that this grill will be more even heat and stays up to temp better during windy and cold days. First up a whole turkey and Brisket for Thanksgiving. Any thoughts or comments welcome. Thanks in advance.

I haven't done a turkey yet but if you are doing a whole brisket, make sure to add 3-4 hours of when you expect to have it done so you are not rushing. Ideally, start the brisket overnight. I usually start it around 7pm at 185 or 225 degree.

I think you will be happy with the 885. Everyone says chicken is always a first best meat to grill to get used to it and break her in….have fun!

@Kook87 we did our first turkey on the IW 885 and kids love it. Not only that but it free up the oven for other dishes. Looking forward smoke the turkeys from here on out.

Last edited:
Bought a Ironwood 650 a few weeks back. Thing works awesome but it doesn't seem to make the food taste smoked like my cheap ass (not going to name the brand for obvious reasons)? This thing is great but it's definitely not a smoker. Super smoke mode makes zero difference in my opinion as well. I'm a bit disappointed that I can't smoke the shit outta something on this unit if I wanted to. I'm hoping when I do my 1st brisket on it that it tastes somewhat smoky after smoking it to 160 or so. Bought a smoke tube just in case but that's exactly my point. Where is the smoke flavour? Was not a cheap purchase as you all know.

Yes, you're right. I was very disappointed too. HOWEVER.... you can get great smoke by using 2 long smoke tubes that are filled with wood chips. Light the end and let it burn for about 5 minutes, blow out the flame and it will smoke for about 3 to 4 hours. I just did this on 2 slabs of ribs today and got a good bark on them and the smoke is amazing.

Pellets will never add smoke flavor like actual smoldering wood.

Latest Discussions

Back