Uncontrollable Heat

Mac-N-Jac

Reaction score
Grill
Scout
Uncontrolled heat caused concern for safety. unable to leave new table top unit unattended Without roaring heat issue.

Last July 2019, my husband and I purchased a new model Traeger Table Top pellet grill for his birthday. The Traeger manufacture was in the store earlier in the day for a promo and the last unit was set out without a box. All sales were final, as warrantees were the responsibility of the purchaser to work directly with Traeger. Hey, it’s Traeger, what could go wrong, right? WRONG.

Challenge: Never worked from day 1. Runaway burner when heat is on, at any temp., stays burning at full temp. Pellets continue to feed until grill shuts down from an over-temp.

7/15 I contacted Traeger by phone and they troubleshot by phone and was told that the problem was the temperature controller. The part was back ordered.
9/20 Received part, received email that warrantee fixed and closed.
9/22 Installed part, runaway burner problem persisted again.
9/23 Replied to email and phone. Problem not corrected, warrantee not closed. Provided phone number and email for them to contact me.
9/26 Received email. (1) Believed to be a P-2 setting that needed to be changed to P-3 or P-4. This would change how long auger pauses and adjust hot.cooling. (2) Then recheck RTD probe. (3) Verify if auger ever pauses, if not then controller is stuck and they would replace. (Note: they just replaced controller, that was b/o).
9/26 Replied that I would check the suggested options.
9/27 Replied back that I performed the steps they suggested. RESULTS: Changed P setting. Burner continued to run high at cutoff. Auger did pause at 180 degrees only on the P5 setting. Burner shut off of full blast, seemed to stabilize at 128 degrees, a 58 degree variance.
9/27 Email from Traeger, just checking in if there was anything they could do. Obviously didn’t read my email.
9/27 Resent response.
9/27 Email received stating they ordered a controller (again) on backorder until 11/1 - 11/11. Case closed.
9/27 Email sent. Clearly not a controller issue, never worked in last 4 months. Requested supervisor, request replacement. Case in NOT closed.
10/24 Email received stating, “We apologize for hearing about what happened, it's a tough situation indeed. Need not to worry, we will see what can be done so we can rectify this right away. ... “ My goal is to resolve all your concerns today.”.
10/24 Email sent stating case not closed, no resolution.
11/23 Sent Traeger to the dump. Customer service is lacking in more ways than one. I don’t have the time to continue these emails and phone tag. Yes, they outlasted us and won.

We’ve been burned by Traeger and hope you don’t get smoked, or burned as well. Will NEVER BUY TRAEGER AGAIN and not because of their product, but because of their POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE.

I wouldn't necessarily give up; you might at least consider reaching-out for a refund of your purchase. I have no familiarity with the Scout but it was recalled due to a fire hazard due to a grease leak. You may have already made this attempt but if I were in your shoes I'd seek to elevate this to a higher level of Management within Traeger. If that didn't produce results I'd consider contacting CPSC's hotline to see if they could offer insight or direction. https://www.traegergrills.com/product-safety

Bought it for our travel trailer. I thought it was the Scout, could have been a Ranger, so fed up I don’t really care anymore. Traeger didnt tell us it was recalled. We’ve asked for a refund but they haven’t acknowledged our request. The headaches customer service have caused isn’t worth the money and time we’ve spent on the thing. More importantly, the safety concerns with a fire are overwhelmingly our reason for contacting them in the first place. Traeger doesn’t seem to be concerned about getting the product out of service with one they are assured isn’t a safety risk. Last weekend we tossed the unit. the stress Traeger was causing was too much. so, we went out and bought another manufacture unit that we absolutely love.

I have the tailgater with MAJOR issues as far as temp control. It has ruined countless meals and I think I may return it.

As you can see from thus one pic (many others I have) the temp just runs away.

The most frustrating part is, I can NEVER get ahold of customer service. I can't go for the option of them calling me back as I don't know when or what I will be doing when and if they do. So today, I tried to wait for a representative to pick up... been on the phone now almost 2 hours waiting. Was told it would be 15-20 minutes.

This is completely unacceptable to me. The material given with the grill says don't return it. Well, I want my money back. Tired of this insanity of a product obviously not up to par... this issue is a common one based on all the forums online.

So, where do I take it to get a refund?

Attachments

• 20191225_131247.jpg
    20191225_131247.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 328
  • Screenshot_20200419-164457_Call.jpg
    Screenshot_20200419-164457_Call.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 320
Have you tried taking off that little black sticker and pressing the little button inside? Apparently it will make the auger pause longer in the cycles, default is p-2, set it to p-3.
I have the tailgater with MAJOR issues as far as temp control. It has ruined countless meals and I think I may return it.

As you can see from thus one pic (many others I have) the temp just runs away.

Have you tried taking off that little black sticker and pressing the little button inside? Apparently it will make the auger pause longer in the cycles, default is p-2, set it to p-3.

I don't think he heard you...LOL he only came here once and that was a year ago... ahhh the power of a Google Bot

I don't think he heard you...LOL he only came here once and that was a year ago... ahhh the power of a Google Bot
Never know. But totally forgot it's '21 not' '20. And I don't see this very brought up in any of the bad temp threads and wanted to see if it works

Latest Discussions

Back