Turkey size for a Junior

annewaldron

Reaction score
Grill
Junior (Costco)
Hi all, searched this forum and didn't see this question asked. I'm thinking about ordering a fresh turkey this year and doing a brine and smoking it. Eyeballing my Junior size I'm guessing a 14-18 pounder would fit in there but I would hate to get a bird that was too big for good heat circulation. But hey maybe I could spatchcock it! Whichever way I go, what size bird would be ideal for a Junior?

Good question! Following this thread. I haven't done a turkey yet, but I want to test one in the Traeger before thanksgiving.

I would ask how many people are you cooking for and then figure it out. Personally I wouldn't go bigger than 14lb.

I would ask how many people are you cooking for and then figure it out. Personally I wouldn't go bigger than 14lb.
We’re in it for the leftovers, so I just need to know how big NOT to buy ;)

Hi all, searched this forum and didn't see this question asked. I'm thinking about ordering a fresh turkey this year and doing a brine and smoking it. Eyeballing my Junior size I'm guessing a 14-18 pounder would fit in there but I would hate to get a bird that was too big for good heat circulation. But hey maybe I could spatchcock it! Whichever way I go, what size bird would be ideal for a Junior?
Smoked turkeys for years on my Little Tex Elite. Brined and not brined. Fresh and frozen. Fresh in brine worked best for us. One year Son smoked one stuffed with all sorts of vegetables (celery, onions, and kale) inside the turkey. Really good also. Have an Ironwood this so should be even better.

Smoked turkeys for years on my Little Tex Elite. Brined and not brined. Fresh and frozen. Fresh in brine worked best for us. One year Son smoked one stuffed with all sorts of vegetables (celery, onions, and kale) inside the turkey. Really good also. Have an Ironwood this so should be even better.
Do you remember the size of the turkey you did on the Little Tex?

Back