Traeger Timberline 850 Concerns

Thank you for the response. I have been in contact with Traeger about my wifi. It turns out that even though my T is 1 week old and came from the Traeger factory/ warehouse ( wasn't in stock in Home Depot) that the wifi radio is out of date , they are sending me a new one. I finished that call yesterday without a resolution and was supposed to get an email today as to whether or not they were going to mail me out a brain for this thing. Had to call them back to find out and brought up the drip tray, they say they are going to ship me both. The customer service leaves a bit to be desired, and the early problems are a pain. I have been cooking on propane for years and never had a grease fire, I buy this and one of the benefits is supposed to be indirect heat = no fires, but, here I am talking about my grease fire on a 1 week old unit. All in all happy with it though and look forward to Traeger fulfilling their promise and will be well, but this is an $1800.00 machine, In expect more.
Today In took it apart to clean after the fire and was happy to find that the fire was only on the drip tray as the bottom and fire pot were clean of grease. I installed a new Traeger liner, I installed it with the logo facing up and brought to the front edge of the drip tray. I noticed that there are lines or folds about an inch in from the side and bent it there to mold to the contour of the drip pan. I wonder if that what they intend and used the rear tab folded down but not under to raise the pan slightly in the rear. I think that , as you stated, that the pitch of the whole drip tray system is too slight and the grease is made to flow left and then down, doesn't seem efficient, but we will see.
Again, love this thing, but a little frustrated, thanks all that gave advice, Carne asada skirt steak going on this weekend can't wait.

WoW ... Traeger Support is frustrating as f**k (FaF) ... there is a 99.9%+ chance that you did NOT need a new WiFIRE Controller, and that the replacement controller could very well have the exact same issues ... The vast majority of Wi-Fi challenges are due to issues with the configuration of the Router / Wireless Access Point and/or issues with the App Device config, both of which can be resolved with minor changes ... people are expecting "plug and play" and not prepared to have to intervene to accommodate the necessary changes / workarounds ... and Traeger Support is completely unprepared to deal with walking customers through the changes that need to be made to accommodate the WiFIRE Controller ... reach out if you want to try and resolve this in the interim ... it usually takes 30-90m of time after some basic information is shared to get a baseline, and then making the necessary configuration changes/updates to get WiFIRE running on your Home Wi-Fi ...

Last edited:
WoW ... Traeger Support is abysmal ... there is a 99.9%+ chance that you did NOT need a new WiFIRE Controller, and that the replacement controller could very well have the exact same issues ... The vast majority of Wi-Fi challenges are due to issues with the configuration of the Router / Wireless Access Point and/or issues with the App Device config, both of which can be resolved with minor changes ... people are expecting "plug and play" and not prepared to have to intervene to accommodate the necessary changes / workarounds ...
I too was surprised during the call. they asked me for the software revision, I believe, and when I told them it was .....1.1, they told me that this serial number would not work with the app. I didn't expect plug and play and wasn't too worried as I am in IT as a career. I do not do networking, but, am familiar and am friends with my network guys at work, they too were stumped. I was about to mess with my orbi and separate my 2.4 and 5 gig traffic via telnet, but, did not want to go through the hassle. I tried my wifes Galaxy tab that was connecting via the 2.4 ghz network. This should have worked, but, did not and failed with the same error and so I called support. I figured that I'll try this before messing with my already established home network and having to reconnect all of my connected devices to new SSIDs. Now I just gotta hope that they send it. I also have to believe that if they have a note about a particular software revision and issues that they could be right, I've never failed to connect anything to my network and Orbis are pretty fool proof, to a fault. There shouldn't be all of these wifi issues with a new device, I mean Orbis and 5 ghz networks are a couple of years old now, my Ring cameras use 2.4 ghz and set up through a phone app and they were a breeze. I need to grill and not stress over this for now, got my fingers crossed, thanks for the advice i'll have to wait and see.

I too was surprised during the call. they asked me for the software revision, I believe, and when I told them it was .....1.1, they told me that this serial number would not work with the app. I didn't expect plug and play and wasn't too worried as I am in IT as a career. I do not do networking, but, am familiar and am friends with my network guys at work, they too were stumped. I was about to mess with my orbi and separate my 2.4 and 5 gig traffic via telnet, but, did not want to go through the hassle. I tried my wifes Galaxy tab that was connecting via the 2.4 ghz network. This should have worked, but, did not and failed with the same error and so I called support. I figured that I'll try this before messing with my already established home network and having to reconnect all of my connected devices to new SSIDs. Now I just gotta hope that they send it. I also have to believe that if they have a note about a particular software revision and issues that they could be right, I've never failed to connect anything to my network and Orbis are pretty fool proof, to a fault. There shouldn't be all of these wifi issues with a new device, I mean Orbis and 5 ghz networks are a couple of years old now, my Ring cameras use 2.4 ghz and set up through a phone app and they were a breeze. I need to grill and not stress over this for now, got my fingers crossed, thanks for the advice i'll have to wait and see.

Hmmm - if Traeger's latest app version cannot accommodate updating a WiFIRE Controller running pre 2.x Firmware ... yikes ... there are going to be a LOT of folks needing to replace their WiFIRE Controllers as the solution ... which is not an insignificant cost to Traeger (financially and "brand"-wise as it will take months to finish sending out that many WiFIRE Controllers) ...

As for making changes to your Home Wi-Fi Network - I would modify the frequency band with the fewest connections ... in my case, it was the 5GHz band, so I made the following change:

I call my IOT-based device Wireless Networks...
idIOT
idIOT 5GHz

The thing to remember is that the goal for all IOT-device vendors is to reach the widest possible customer base "out-of-the-box" ... that means targeting the most widely implemented Wi-Fi Standard possible ... the following table is a quick summary of the timeline of the "major" releases with regards to Wi-Fi that have been widely adopted by the industry:

802.11b - circa 2000 - 2.4GHz - 11Mb/sec max data rate
802.11g - circa 2003 - 2.4GHz - 54Mb/sec max data rate
802.11n (aka Wi-Fi 4) - circa 2009 - 2.4GHz & 5GHz - 600Mb/sec max data rate
802.11ac (aka Wi-Fi 5) - circa 2013 - 2.4GHz & 5GHz - 600Mb/sec max data rate
+ wider channels & more streams & higher-order modulation & addition of MU-MIMO
+ Mesh Networks starting to become available 2017+
802.11ax (aka Wi-Fi 6) - circa 2019/2020 - 2.4GHz & 5GHz
+ goal is to provide 4x the throughput of 802.11ac
+ OFDMA introduced for multiplexing

Given the above, almost all IOT-device vendors implement Wi-Fi via a chipset that supports 802.11b/g/n, as that will reach the widest possible customer base, thus creating the requirement for connecting the IOT-device to a 2.4GHz Wireless Network ... what seems a bit "unique" to the chipset used in the WiFIRE Controllers is the inability to connect to a single Wireless Network Name (SSID) that includes both 2.4GHz & 5GHz, thus needing to rename one of the frequencies ... Traeger is not the first/only vendor to make the "you must have separate Wireless Network Names" requirement, but I would agree that in 2018-2020+, that caught me off-guard, but since I have run into it in the past, I was prepared to make the necessary changes during my initial setup phase of the WiFIRE Controller ...

Lastly, it is possible/likely that your Wireless Mesh network is doing "steering" to put devices on their preferred connection, which for new(er) phones / tablets would be the 5GHz band and the WiFIRE is sitting on the 2.4GHz band ... so the App cannot connect, or maintain a connection on the 2.4GHz band through completion of the setup process ... The following "workaround" might apply in your particular situation:

---------------

Failed / Hung Setup of WiFIRE | Airplane Mode Workaround

ISSUE: Multiple people have reported that the initial setup of WiFIRE will fail/hang before completion ... this is due to the App device defaulting back to the "preferred" 5GHz Wireless Network after handing off the necessary 2.4GHz Wireless Network information to the Grill (Network Name (SSID), Encryption Type, Password). The App Device MUST reconnect back to the 2.4GHz Home Wireless Network in order for the setup process to successfully complete.

WORKAROUND: The best way to eliminate the failed/hung setup state for WiFIRE is to first put your App Device into Airplane Mode, then manually turn Wi-Fi back on, then "forget" the 5GHz Wi-Fi network, then connect to the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network and start the setup process from the beginning ... this eliminates any potential issues with regards to the App Device reconnecting back to the wrong (i.e. 5GHz) Home Wi-Fi Network during the setup process ... once the setup process has successfully completed, you can take the App Device out of Airplane Mode, and reconnect to the 5GHz Wireless network on your App Device (if desired) ...

Thank you for the response. I have been in contact with Traeger about my wifi. It turns out that even though my T is 1 week old and came from the Traeger factory/ warehouse ( wasn't in stock in Home Depot) that the wifi radio is out of date , they are sending me a new one. I finished that call yesterday without a resolution and was supposed to get an email today as to whether or not they were going to mail me out a brain for this thing. Had to call them back to find out and brought up the drip tray, they say they are going to ship me both. The customer service leaves a bit to be desired, and the early problems are a pain. I have been cooking on propane for years and never had a grease fire, I buy this and one of the benefits is supposed to be indirect heat = no fires, but, here I am talking about my grease fire on a 1 week old unit. All in all happy with it though and look forward to Traeger fulfilling their promise and will be well, but this is an $1800.00 machine, In expect more.
Today In took it apart to clean after the fire and was happy to find that the fire was only on the drip tray as the bottom and fire pot were clean of grease. I installed a new Traeger liner, I installed it with the logo facing up and brought to the front edge of the drip tray. I noticed that there are lines or folds about an inch in from the side and bent it there to mold to the contour of the drip pan. I wonder if that what they intend and used the rear tab folded down but not under to raise the pan slightly in the rear. I think that , as you stated, that the pitch of the whole drip tray system is too slight and the grease is made to flow left and then down, doesn't seem efficient, but we will see.
Again, love this thing, but a little frustrated, thanks all that gave advice, Carne asada skirt steak going on this weekend can't wait.
Glad you are getting sorted, I've had my 850 for almost 1 year now and agree that the WiFi issue just sounds odd regarding incompatibility with the app. I can't imagine what they changed in the last year. I am a networking type and quickly sorted the 2.4Ghz issue, your setup device must be on the 2.4Ghz band of your router as it hands this data to the grill during setup. It is wise to first "forget" any 5Ghz connections on the phone so it sticks with 2.4 until setup is complete. Orbi's auto assign bands and I could see that being an issue without some fiddling. My grill was kind of far from my router so I tossed a cheap 2.4ghz access point in a closet by the grill location, now WiFire life is good.

Regarding the grease fire (I've never had one, so far) , being as it happened on the drip pan, it must have not drained into the channel. This should be impossible because of the rounded shape of the pan that "should" take all liquids to the front channel, odd.

Last edited:
I am getting most of my issues on my Timberline 850 straightened out. The drip tray, though, still does not drain. I have nothing in the collection pan after cooking on it for about 9 months.

I am having an issue with the WiFire ceasing to "talk" to the iPhone app. I will be inside the house and notice that the temperature of the grill and/or the probe doesn't change. I close out the app, reopen and the proper readings are back. This is since the new app came out.

I also have somewhat of an issue with the heating cycle. The 850 seems to pause as it is heating. Example, today I am smoking a pork loin and wanted to bring the grill temp to 180. The lighting sequence went well and temps climbed to 150, where it stalled. After about 10-15 minutes, it slowly resumed climbing and eventually leveled off around 180. This is a recent development as the grill always would climb to the set temperature without stopping. Sometimes it would overshoot by 10 degrees or so but then come back to the set temp.

I am getting most of my issues on my Timberline 850 straightened out. The drip tray, though, still does not drain. I have nothing in the collection pan after cooking on it for about 9 months.

I am having an issue with the WiFire ceasing to "talk" to the iPhone app. I will be inside the house and notice that the temperature of the grill and/or the probe doesn't change. I close out the app, reopen and the proper readings are back. This is since the new app came out.

I also have somewhat of an issue with the heating cycle. The 850 seems to pause as it is heating. Example, today I am smoking a pork loin and wanted to bring the grill temp to 180. The lighting sequence went well and temps climbed to 150, where it stalled. After about 10-15 minutes, it slowly resumed climbing and eventually leveled off around 180. This is a recent development as the grill always would climb to the set temperature without stopping. Sometimes it would overshoot by 10 degrees or so but then come back to the set temp.

I sometimes have to Close / Re-Open the App to get it to "refresh" as well - my guess is the App is losing connection to the Traeger Cloud back-end for ongoing monitoring ... the WiFIRE Controller speaks to the Traeger Cloud back-end, which acts as the broker to your App Device & App ... so there are multiple possible points of "failure" along the communications path that can be disrupting the steady stream of information ... as quickly as the App refreshes status at the point in re-opens, that leads me to believe that this is an App issue (if it were the WiFIRE Controller, I would expect to see some significant lag in getting current status once the App re-opened) ...

Found this relative to modifying the Orbi SSIDs to differentiate 2.4GHz from 5GHz - pretty sure you've seen this - https://community.netgear.com/t5/Or...r-the-5-GHz-network-on-your-Orbi/td-p/1396594

I sometimes have to Close / Re-Open the App to get it to "refresh" as well - my guess is the App is losing connection to the Traeger Cloud back-end for ongoing monitoring ... the WiFIRE Controller speaks to the Traeger Cloud back-end, which acts as the broker to your App Device & App ... so there are multiple possible points of "failure" along the communications path that can be disrupting the steady stream of information ... as quickly as the App refreshes status at the point in re-opens, that leads me to believe that this is an App issue (if it were the WiFIRE Controller, I would expect to see some significant lag in getting current status once the App re-opened) ...
I'm also seeing the app lose connection with the grill. I was cooking ribs yesterday and in the down times was watching some of the cooking class videos from within the app. If I stepped over to the grill, the data seemed frozen. I tried changing temp, it didn't show any change in the app, however, in checking the grill it had in fact changed temps. Closing the app and re-starting always restored live status, so there is work to be done on the app.

Igniting my grill is always a bit off. I set it to around 180-200F and it usually sends an error that it failed to ignite (slow start) but it does ignite and then overshoots at least 100 degrees or more before settling back down to set temp. I should call service as it's probably a wonky glow plug.

Once running the grill always seems pretty accurate and stable.

Edit, I called regarding the slow start and big temp overshoot, over 2 hour wait, will update.

Edit, Support called me back and were very pleasant. We discussed the current firmware, it was supposed to shorten startup times. Mine clearly is not a fast starter so they are sending me a new "Hot Rod" starter. It comes as an assembly with a new firepot, should be here in 5-7 days. I also mentioned the app issues to log the feedback. Will update after the new part arrives.

Edit, the part arrived, it was pretty easy to install, once I removed the bottom cover under the pellet hopper to access the hot rod heater wires to get the slack needed to remove the parts. This cured my startup issues! Grill now starts up in 5-10min, much better.

Last edited:
This is a re-post from another thread. I really hopeful for Traeger’s success, and I want to be fair.

I got through to Traeger on Friday. They apologized profusely and the support rep promised that the drip tray would be shipped, and that I should expect it in a week to 10 days.

Per Traeger, the drip tray comes with a food based oil coating that sometimes gets removed during assembly. This coating needs to be “seasoned-in” to prevent warping of the drip tray. My Timberline was assembled by the dealer I purchased it from. So perhaps it wasn’t there. We’ll see.

Also, Covid 19 government limitations have limited warehouse and procurement operations.

I genuinely hope that myTraeger issues are on the way to being solved. As I’ve said in this forum several times, “I’m in love with the concept of my Timberline 1300. But I’m not in love with my actual ownership experience.“ I will not pay a premium price for any product and be okay with a bad experience. But if things get turned around, I’ll be the first to sing Traeger’s praises, and post a great experience here. As I‘ve said, my first 2 months (out of 6) were flawless.

I am new to Traeger and received my Timberline 850 one week ago. Having the same issues with the drip tray. First I ordered the Traeger drip tray liners thinking it a couple of bucks for a ready made solution
, after what I spent on the grill it was a drop in the bucket. I assemble my grill and when I first install the drip tray I grab a liner and can't for my life figure out how to install it, I am a former auto mechanic and have a good grasp on assembly, but, it just doesn't appear to fit good in any direction. I also noticed that there isn't alot of "tilt" to the tray in my opinion to get grease flowing into the grease channels. I cooked my first chicken Sunday , tried burgers yesterday and when I raised the temp for a sear....grease fire under the drip tray... not good... not happy, this was my third cook on a new unit. I have to take it all apart now and check what is going on under there. I feel like an idiot saying this, but, I would actually appreciate a instruction sheet for these liners as they do not appear to install in a straightforward manner. I missed it in the instructions, but I saw the video about "priming" the grease channels anyone done this ?
I am new to Traeger and received my Timberline 850 one week ago. Having the same issues with the drip tray. First I ordered the Traeger drip tray liners thinking it a couple of bucks for a ready made solution
, after what I spent on the grill it was a drop in the bucket. I assemble my grill and when I first install the drip tray I grab a liner and can't for my life figure out how to install it, I am a former auto mechanic and have a good grasp on assembly, but, it just doesn't appear to fit good in any direction. I also noticed that there isn't alot of "tilt" to the tray in my opinion to get grease flowing into the grease channels. I cooked my first chicken Sunday , tried burgers yesterday and when I raised the temp for a sear....grease fire under the drip tray... not good... not happy, this was my third cook on a new unit. I have to take it all apart now and check what is going on under there. I feel like an idiot saying this, but, I would actually appreciate a instruction sheet for these liners as they do not appear to install in a straightforward manner. I missed it in the instructions, but I saw the video about "priming" the grease channels anyone done this ?
I too have been baffled with how to install the Traeger liners and haven’t seen a single video out there in how to do it. Also have issues with pooling drippings on the drip pan vs running off to the channel and into the drip tray...basically renders my 850 unusable for high temp cooking...wings on there at 450?...forget about it...grease fire waiting to happen. Basically have come to the conclusion that this cooker is only usable for low and slow smoking. Very disappointing and have been thinking about switching out for Yoder pellet smoker. May try playing with the levelling of the wheels but grease management on the Timberline series is definitely flawed

Original poster here....I found that cooking fatty meats would only allow the use of the drip tray liner for one or maybe two cooking sessions as the grease would remain on the liner and start a grease fire on the second or third use. I couldn’t see changing the tray liners that often so I purchased a roll of 18” heavy-duty aluminum foil and use that instead of the liners. Much more cost effective and fully covers the drip tray. The grease channel in the front is useless. In a year’s ownership and many, many cooking sessions, I have yet to get any grease in the collection tray under the grill.

I too have been baffled with how to install the Traeger liners and haven’t seen a single video out there in how to do it. Also have issues with pooling drippings on the drip pan vs running off to the channel and into the drip tray...basically renders my 850 unusable for high temp cooking...wings on there at 450?...forget about it...grease fire waiting to happen. Basically have come to the conclusion that this cooker is only usable for low and slow smoking. Very disappointing and have been thinking about switching out for Yoder pellet smoker. May try playing with the levelling of the wheels but grease management on the Timberline series is definitely flawed

Original poster here....I found that cooking fatty meats would only allow the use of the drip tray liner for one or maybe two cooking sessions as the grease would remain on the liner and start a grease fire on the second or third use. I couldn’t see changing the tray liners that often so I purchased a roll of 18” heavy-duty aluminum foil and use that instead of the liners. Much more cost effective and fully covers the drip tray. The grease channel in the front is useless. In a year’s ownership and many, many cooking sessions, I have yet to get any grease in the collection tray under the grill.

I locate the liners close to the front of the grill. I place the drip pan on a flat surface and place the liner onto the pan, then press and form the liner to conform to the curved pan. Work from the center and out to the sides , pressing the right and left sides of the foil into the angled edges, then fold the side wings around the backside of the pan. I like to smash down the front right and left ribbed edges of the foil at the grease drains. Now the pan should have the nice curved shape to direct liquids to the front right and left sides of the pan.

After seeing burned up grease in the front channel, I went further and just posted my solution, an add-on grease channel liner insert that directs grease flow much better and faster to the drain tray. I poured a pitcher of water onto the drip tray and the water now quickly runs down into the lower pan.

I locate the liners close to the front of the grill. I place the drip pan on a flat surface and place the liner onto the pan, then press and form the liner to conform to the curved pan. Work from the center and out to the sides , pressing the right and left sides of the foil into the angled edges, then fold the side wings around the backside of the pan. I like to smash down the front right and left ribbed edges of the foil at the grease drains. Now the pan should have the nice curved shape to direct liquids to the front right and left sides of the pan.

After seeing burned up grease in the front channel, I went further and just posted my solution, an add-on grease channel liner insert that directs grease flow much better and faster to the drain tray. I poured a pitcher of water onto the drip tray and the water now quickly runs down into the lower pan.

Any pics ? I had a grease fire with mine tonight. I was ultra pissed. Never had an issue with pro34. It looks like gen 1 grease drip tray has an angle to sit in grease channel. I laughed when I read comments here how to install traeger grease tray liners. My pro 34 ones fit perfect and I had to triple check I had the right ones.

My 850 drip tray is tilted to drain to the front, it is also bowed so all drippings run to the sides and to the front right and left sides. It then drains into the front channel, flows to the left, then down the chute and into the bottom pan.

Grease fires on the main drip tray may be because you didn't really press and form the foil liner to hug the pan. I lay the pan on the ground and really press the sides down into the folds and hold firmly while folding the side tabs around to the back. drippings must be able to flow to the sides and out forward into the channel.

Now the front channel can be a problem as well, mine didn't really drain well to the left so drippings often just burned up in the channel. I posted quite a bit on what I did to correct what I think is a poor channel design as well as add insulation to the whole grease system to prevent it from getting overheated.

But first and foremost, the tray liners must be really pressed to completely hug the shape of the pan or that will get you a fire right on the pan.

My issue is with the front grease channel, mine needs more pitch to the left so grease runs quickly down and out to the lower grease pan. When I clean the grill, it's very clear that grease collects and burns on the right side, it's not draining to the left. 9apps cartoonhd

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back