Traeger Timberline 850 Concerns

Okskipper

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
In addition to the excessive smoke on startup issue I reported on another thread, I also have other concerns:
  • Traeger drip pan liners are too small and dont’ completely cover the pan. Side-to-side is fine it is just an inch or two short front-to-back. The grease ends up directly on the drip pan and cooks on.
  • The heat generated is causing the metal to distort in places. The drip tray in the front, for example. The heat makes the interior prone to corrosion. Not sure how long components will last.
  • The drip channel in the front is useless. The grease never makes it to the collection tray. It puddles up and then, if too much grease accumulates as can happen with fatty meats, it will catch fire.
  • In order to vacuum out all of the areas under lower pan (not sure what it is called), you have to remove 3 screws which after being heated, become very difficult to remove and replace. It would have been better to just have some locating pins to slip the lower pan over.
Other than these small concerns, the Traeger 850 does a marvelous job of cooking.

I just posted drip tray issue with Timberline 1300. When my 1300 was new, the drip tray, liner and the grease removal system worked great. I’m guessing that through usage the drip tray warps, -maybe loses shape due to heat. Grease pooling (especially) on an extended cook is probably a significant safety issue.

I just put together my new Timberline 850, and was wondering the same thing about the drip tray liner. It covers the entire width of the grill, but is a few inches short, front to back. Should the gap be in the front? Or back? If you put the liner in with the Traeger logo face up and facing you, the back wrap tab is aligned for the back notch, which also lines up the side tabs to slip inside the side brackets, and then the gap is in front.

One Youtube video I watched of a Timberline owner, he said he keeps two liners in the tray at all times. That way, at any time he can just quickly rip off the top one, and he's instantly ready to grill with a non-greased liner underneath. So until I find out otherwise, what I decided to do was put two liners in, but one aligned to the back, the other offset and aligned to the front, so the whole thing is covered.

What's the right answer though? It seems intentional that Traeger put in that gap.

I just put together my new Timberline 850, and was wondering the same thing about the drip tray liner. It covers the entire width of the grill, but is a few inches short, front to back. Should the gap be in the front? Or back? If you put the liner in with the Traeger logo face up and facing you, the back wrap tab is aligned for the back notch, which also lines up the side tabs to slip inside the side brackets, and then the gap is in front.

One Youtube video I watched of a Timberline owner, he said he keeps two liners in the tray at all times. That way, at any time he can just quickly rip off the top one, and he's instantly ready to grill with a non-greased liner underneath. So until I find out otherwise, what I decided to do was put two liners in, but one aligned to the back, the other offset and aligned to the front, so the whole thing is covered.

What's the right answer though? It seems intentional that Traeger put in that gap.

In like to pull my tray liner more towards the front.

I do agree with the others about the front grease channel having issues, suffering from high heat warping. last time I cleaned the grill, that channel had been collecting grease on the right side, that wasn't draining down to the left side and down into the pan. Excess grease clearly had repeatedly burned up on the right instead of draining away.

Since I'm having so much "at-home" time I'm thinking about re-working that front channel to have much more pitch to the left side so it really drains fast. Does anyone know if stainless steel would fare better with the heat in that area? I have a good stainless fabricator in the area that could bend me up a new channel.

In addition to the excessive smoke on startup issue I reported on another thread, I also have other concerns:
  • Traeger drip pan liners are too small and dont’ completely cover the pan. Side-to-side is fine it is just an inch or two short front-to-back. The grease ends up directly on the drip pan and cooks on.
  • The heat generated is causing the metal to distort in places. The drip tray in the front, for example. The heat makes the interior prone to corrosion. Not sure how long components will last.
  • The drip channel in the front is useless. The grease never makes it to the collection tray. It puddles up and then, if too much grease accumulates as can happen with fatty meats, it will catch fire.
  • In order to vacuum out all of the areas under lower pan (not sure what it is called), you have to remove 3 screws which after being heated, become very difficult to remove and replace. It would have been better to just have some locating pins to slip the lower pan over.
Other than these small concerns, the Traeger 850 does a marvelous job of cooking.
As for the screws, every screw in the inside especially the fire pot I loosen them then just lightly snug them haven't had any problems

I’m pretty meticulous in my cleaning routine, -dedicated shop vac used and done every week and a half-two weeks, well within the recommended 20-hour recommendation per the manual. My Traeger cleaning know-how is taken from YouTube videos, including Traeger’s. I must admit (and always willing to learn), I’ve never loosened any screws, anywhere, on my Timberline 1300, during the cleanup process. But I could be wrong (Don’t repeat that to my wife!)

When I search the work “warp” in this forum, the drip tray warping issue comes up regularly. It appears to be a “know issue”. I’ve had my 1300 for six months and I used my grill during the winter. For the first 2 months, my Traeger worked flawlessly, as I’ve posted in other threads, a wonderful experience. The grease channeling system worked great. For the last 4 months, not one drop of grease has made it off of the drip tray liner, using both self-engineered aluminum foil and Traeger’s liners. Could the expansion/contraction of the drip tray occur due to temperature extremes, changing the characteristics of the drip tray? It looks like the camber of the drip tray has changed. I’ve tried to think of some fix to permanently add more slope, back-to-front to the drip tray, but hesitate to make any alteration that might void the warranty.

Traeger Support promised me a new drip tray, months ago and haven’t delivered. I got a support callback last week and was told the drip tray is still in their system and on back order -pretty understandable during these times. But they need to let me know that they haven’t lost track of my problem. They also assured me that during the warranty period, any such issue would be taken care of.

I still have great hopes for Traeger and my 1300. Per my son and his network, he sees many of his contemporaries getting Traeger’s. I think Traeger’s business is exploding, and they’re trying to figure it out. If they do, they’ll be golden. If not, -well, not good.

I am new to Traeger and received my Timberline 850 one week ago. Having the same issues with the drip tray. First I ordered the Traeger drip tray liners thinking it a couple of bucks for a ready made solution
, after what I spent on the grill it was a drop in the bucket. I assemble my grill and when I first install the drip tray I grab a liner and can't for my life figure out how to install it, I am a former auto mechanic and have a good grasp on assembly, but, it just doesn't appear to fit good in any direction. I also noticed that there isn't alot of "tilt" to the tray in my opinion to get grease flowing into the grease channels. I cooked my first chicken Sunday , tried burgers yesterday and when I raised the temp for a sear....grease fire under the drip tray... not good... not happy, this was my third cook on a new unit. I have to take it all apart now and check what is going on under there. I feel like an idiot saying this, but, I would actually appreciate a instruction sheet for these liners as they do not appear to install in a straightforward manner. I missed it in the instructions, but I saw the video about "priming" the grease channels anyone done this ?

I am new to Traeger and received my Timberline 850 one week ago. Having the same issues with the drip tray. First I ordered the Traeger drip tray liners thinking it a couple of bucks for a ready made solution
, after what I spent on the grill it was a drop in the bucket. I assemble my grill and when I first install the drip tray I grab a liner and can't for my life figure out how to install it, I am a former auto mechanic and have a good grasp on assembly, but, it just doesn't appear to fit good in any direction. I also noticed that there isn't alot of "tilt" to the tray in my opinion to get grease flowing into the grease channels. I cooked my first chicken Sunday , tried burgers yesterday and when I raised the temp for a sear....grease fire under the drip tray... not good... not happy, this was my third cook on a new unit. I have to take it all apart now and check what is going on under there. I feel like an idiot saying this, but, I would actually appreciate a instruction sheet for these liners as they do not appear to install in a straightforward manner. I missed it in the instructions, but I saw the video about "priming" the grease channels anyone done this ?
The liner is placed somewhat centered on the drip tray, it doesn't cover the very back or front of the tray, I favor it a bit more toward the front. Once located, then fold the side and rear tabs on the liner around the pan. Then press and mold the liner to match the contours of the tray, especially the front right and left sides to allow grease flow into the front channel.

It is odd that the liner isn't a perfect fit but it does the job good enough.

My issue is with the front grease channel, mine needs more pitch to the left so grease runs quickly down and out to the lower grease pan. When I clean the grill, it's very clear that grease collects and burns on the right side, it's not draining to the left.

NYRCO,
I purchased my 1300 assembled. You (someway or another) have to get hold of support, using the Traeger support number on the website. Make the call early in the morning and leave a callback number if you need to. Grease fires are a safety issue.

I know that you’re disappointed, I’m still waiting for a drip tray replacement. I’ve owned my 1300 for just over 6 months, and for the first 2 months, no problems and a great experience. I’ve been working on the drip tray for 2 months. Our warranty is 3 years. I’ve been assured that any such problem is covered For that period.
You sure don’t expect to have these worries on the top of the line product.

My issue is with the front grease channel, mine needs more pitch to the left so grease runs quickly down and out to the lower grease pan. When I clean the grill, it's very clear that grease collects and burns on the right side, it's not draining to the left.

Check your grill is level first, and you could always try placing the righthand wheels on something to raise the end of the grill to see if it helps.

Check your grill is level first, and you could always try placing the righthand wheels on something to raise the end of the grill to see if it helps.

Good ideas, it is level, honestly the front channel should have much greater pitch so grease moves down and away quickly.

The grill weighs so much, I don't want to mess with any wheel lifts lest something bad happens with my luck. Plus I move mine around depending on wind, weather, and storage spot.

The liner is placed somewhat centered on the drip tray, it doesn't cover the very back or front of the tray, I favor it a bit more toward the front. Once located, then fold the side and rear tabs on the liner around the pan. Then press and mold the liner to match the contours of the tray, especially the front right and left sides to allow grease flow into the front channel.

It is odd that the liner isn't a perfect fit but it does the job good enough.

Thank you for the response. I have been in contact with Traeger about my wifi. It turns out that even though my T is 1 week old and came from the Traeger factory/ warehouse ( wasn't in stock in Home Depot) that the wifi radio is out of date , they are sending me a new one. I finished that call yesterday without a resolution and was supposed to get an email today as to whether or not they were going to mail me out a brain for this thing. Had to call them back to find out and brought up the drip tray, they say they are going to ship me both. The customer service leaves a bit to be desired, and the early problems are a pain. I have been cooking on propane for years and never had a grease fire, I buy this and one of the benefits is supposed to be indirect heat = no fires, but, here I am talking about my grease fire on a 1 week old unit. All in all happy with it though and look forward to Traeger fulfilling their promise and will be well, but this is an $1800.00 machine, In expect more.
Today In took it apart to clean after the fire and was happy to find that the fire was only on the drip tray as the bottom and fire pot were clean of grease. I installed a new Traeger liner, I installed it with the logo facing up and brought to the front edge of the drip tray. I noticed that there are lines or folds about an inch in from the side and bent it there to mold to the contour of the drip pan. I wonder if that what they intend and used the rear tab folded down but not under to raise the pan slightly in the rear. I think that , as you stated, that the pitch of the whole drip tray system is too slight and the grease is made to flow left and then down, doesn't seem efficient, but we will see.
Again, love this thing, but a little frustrated, thanks all that gave advice, Carne asada skirt steak going on this weekend can't wait.

Back