Traeger shutting off periodically

Ronaldf123

Reaction score
I have an older Traeger. Has worked great for many years. I updated the controller a few years back to the dual probe model. I also had to replace the hot rod. Recently it started shutting off during long cooks at 225. Couple times I caught it and turned it off and back on again and then it worked fine, The next cook I ran it at 275 and it shut off right when everything was done, about 6 hours. I took it apart and thoroughly cleaned everything. The next cook it ran for about and hour and no matter what I did I could not get it to work. When it did start again the thing smoked really bad for awhile and then the flame burst out and the entire area under the deflection pan was on fire. I shut it off and gave up and moved food to oven. Horrible day. Is it time to upgrade or is there still life I’m this one. Not sure I can afford a new one at this time. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Ronald, for people to help they need a bit more information. The model, the approximate age and the internal condition. Has the interior and fire box been cleaned recently? The condition of the pellets (swelling, distintigration or excess sawdust in the auger) Have you ever adjusted the P setting on your new controller.. The P setting (if you have that capability) is adjusted by depressing a momentary switch under a small hole to the right of the display. http://tipsforbbq.com/Definition/Traeger-P-Setting This link will give you greater insight into the pellet delivery and pause times delays
Hopefully more background info will prompt more replies

Beaser thanks for the reply. It’s a 2013 Texas Elite with an upgrade in approximately 2016 to the digital dual probe controller. Everything has been cleaned, pellets are new from Traeger. I just changed the auger motor as per another suggestion. I call support and they gave me the information on how to test for an error code, but I don’t have one. They also questioned the induction fan but it is working as well. Right now I have it set on 225 for a test and it fluctuates between 180 and 270 with a lot of blue smoke at the lower temp. I do not have a P setting on this controller.

What model controller did you upgrade your unit with? Was it a Traeger or 3rd party. The entry to the "P" switch is sometimes covered by a round sticker. I know there is one 2 probe that has no adjustment.
Looking for the obvious, do you still have the safety screen in your hopper. ( tunnelling of pellets) I got hit by that one even though I knew better. I'm inherently lazy so it took a few shutdowns before I removed it. o_O

I upgraded with the Traeger pro 2 probe unit without p setting. It has run well for a few years. This just started happening. I’m thinking I may have to change controllers again. Just didn’t want to spend another $150

"When it did start again the thing smoked really bad for awhile and then the flame burst out and the entire area under the deflection pan was on fire. I shut it off and gave up and moved food to oven."
That one sounds like too many pellets in the fire pot. For fire to be "everywhere" there has to be fuel, could some grease have ignited as well. I've always opened up the flame pot and checked conditions so I wouldn't have a blaze going on

I'm no expert with pellet grills , I just covered the obvious hoping someone with a better answer may chime in. If it was me I'd be looking at the fire pot as soon as I noticed the flame out. Take a picture.

Back