Traeger rib cooking time

Phrogman

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
New to Traeger. On my Weber gas grill, I wrap the ribs (Baby back) in foil, cook on low for 1 hour, let sit for 10 min, take them out of the foil, put on the BBQ sauce, brown for 5 min or so on a higher heat setting and they are done. I have been reading about cooking ribs on the Traeger (3-2-1) and that seems like a long time for cooking ribs. I understand that this is one of the preferred methods for ribs but for a newbie, I'm worried about the 6 vice 1 hour cooking time.

How you want to cook them is based on preference but a 3-2-1 method is about smoking the ribs compared to grilling. Essentially you hit the ribs with 3 hours of smoke flavor, then wrap in foil or butcher paper (I personally prefer foil unless I’m doing beef short ribs or a brisket in which I use butcher paper to help preserve the bark) to quicken the cooking process and make that meat fall off the bone, and the last hour is adding a sauce if you’d like to Caramelize onto the meat.

How you want to cook them is based on preference but a 3-2-1 method is about smoking the ribs compared to grilling. Essentially you hit the ribs with 3 hours of smoke flavor, then wrap in foil or butcher paper (I personally prefer foil unless I’m doing beef short ribs or a brisket in which I use butcher paper to help preserve the bark) to quicken the cooking process and make that meat fall off the bone, and the last hour is adding a sauce if you’d like to Caramelize onto the meat.
Thank you. Appreciate the response. Makes sense. I did not think of it that way. I was simply looking at time on the grill. Looks like I have to spend some more time doing research on how to best use my Traeger. Thanks again.

The 3-2-1 method works great on spare ribs, but will be too much for baby backs. I don't do baby backs myself, but have seen suggestions of more like a 2-1-1 at 225°F, since they are smaller and more tender.

The 3-2-1 method works great on spare ribs, but will be too much for baby backs. I don't do baby backs myself, but have seen suggestions of more like a 2-1-1 at 225°F, since they are smaller and more tender.
Roger. Thanks for the response. I was thinking I would try something along those lines and see what happens.

Back