Traeger quits working at low temps

Joe_P

Reaction score
Grill
TFB65LZB
My TFB65LZB works fine at temps 250 and above. At lower temps it will work for an hour or so and then will quit igniting pellets. There is never much ash in the firepit, it's just brim full of pellets. The instruction manual mentions this problem, but the solution is to adjust the "P" setting. My grill apparently does not have this. I can clean out the firepot and start it up again and it will smoke, but will again go out after an hour or so. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Joe P

Sounds like poor air flow, once a fire is going, it's all about pellet feed and air supply. I'd double check the entire airway path from the fan to the firepot looking for any blockages. Make sure all the firepot holes are clear of any debris.

Be sure the pellets are fresh and dry, they want to burn!

My first Century 22 from Costco had that problem. It also had a warped poorly designed heat deflector that Traeger Support ghosted me on, so I took it back to Costco. My replacement Century 22 has a better designed heat deflector and works great on the smoke setting.

I heard the auger making squealing and popping noises out of mine this last weekend. I had it cranked up as high as it goes. (450F) I put it on shutdown cycle and after about 7 mins I came out to to check it and the Pellet box had incredibly thick smoke billowing out of it. What do you think caused this? Has anyone seen this before?

I heard the auger making squealing and popping noises out of mine this last weekend. I had it cranked up as high as it goes. (450F) I put it on shutdown cycle and after about 7 mins I came out to to check it and the Pellet box had incredibly thick smoke billowing out of it. What do you think caused this? Has anyone seen this before?
Sounds like it could possibly be an auger fire. Usually caused by dust build up and broken pellets.
I would clean out the hopper and purge the auger of all pellets, vacuum out any dust and refill and prime auger and see if it happens again.

Yes, auger fire. When you hit shutdown, the auger stops and the fan keeps running to completely burn up any remaining pellets in the firepot.

My guess is that a combination of a firepot in need of a cleaning (full of residual ash from previous cooks) may contribute to the fire being too high and close to the auger outlet. The fire managed to go up the auger, even with air blowing against it.

Through vacuuming of the firepot and auger tube is in order.

Latest Discussions

Back