Traeger Pro 780 Wifire issues

I just got a Traeger Pro 780 and it's up and running. However I can't get the wifire app/grill to operate from my iPhone. The grill says its hooked up to my wifi router but when I open the app I get "Grill Offline" and everything I've done to get it ON-LINE doesn't seem to work. I can change the wifi on the grill back and forth to my wifi router name and also to the Grill wifi (Traeger wifi built into the grill) neither seems to work. I have good signal strength, 2.4 ghz signal, and everything that I've read here doesn't fix my problems... any help is appreciated.
You will continue to have problems with Traeger's Wonderful World of WiFire. I've had my new Pro 575 since two days before Thanksgiving last year. I've had the Cyber Crimes unit supervisor, my kids, and at least four other computer/tech semi literate people try and set the great WiFire business up.

No such luck with any attempts to become a happy Wifire Camper. Not the first bit of usable advice from the knowledgeable folks at the Traeger HQ.

Since I burn't the grill in, and tried so many times to connect to the Wifire, I haven't used the grill at all. That how fed up I am with the grill and the Traeger support team. Shoot, they won't even address my negative comments.

I tried selling the grill just after Christmas, with the folding shelf and 60 pounds of pellets. I thought an asking price of $500.00 would get rid of the thing and out of my sight. I even tried giving it to my son who looked up the reviews and even he turned it down as just not worth the effort.

I'm so glad I didn't throw my trusty Weber Kettle away. After 20+ years, it gives me not the first problem. The Pro 575 is about to become a garden planter.

Thanks Traeger for all the memories.

You will continue to have problems with Traeger's Wonderful World of WiFire. I've had my new Pro 575 since two days before Thanksgiving last year. I've had the Cyber Crimes unit supervisor, my kids, and at least four other computer/tech semi literate people try and set the great WiFire business up.

No such luck with any attempts to become a happy Wifire Camper. Not the first bit of usable advice from the knowledgeable folks at the Traeger HQ.

Since I burn't the grill in, and tried so many times to connect to the Wifire, I haven't used the grill at all. That how fed up I am with the grill and the Traeger support team. Shoot, they won't even address my negative comments.

I tried selling the grill just after Christmas, with the folding shelf and 60 pounds of pellets. I thought an asking price of $500.00 would get rid of the thing and out of my sight. I even tried giving it to my son who looked up the reviews and even he turned it down as just not worth the effort.

I'm so glad I didn't throw my trusty Weber Kettle away. After 20+ years, it gives me not the first problem. The Pro 575 is about to become a garden planter.

Thanks Traeger for all the memories.

I have been able to help quite a few people get the WiFIRE Controller working with their Home Wi-Fi (30+ years doing Enterprise Network Infrastructure & Security) ... let me know if you want me to try and assist - it usually takes some up front time to gather info on your Router / Wireless Access Point, your WiFIRE Controller, and the App Device you are using ... then once that baseline is established, stepping through the setup process knowing there may be a detour or two to take to get it to complete ...

Last edited:
I have been able to help quite a few people get the WiFIRE Controller working with their Home Wi-Fi (30+ years doing Enterprise Network Infrastructre & Security) ... let me know if you want me to try and assist - it usually takes some up front time to gather info on your Router / Wireless Access Point, your WiFIRE Controller, and the App Device you are using ... then once that baseline is established, stepping through the setup process knowing there may be a detour or two to take to get it to complete ...
I have successfully paired my grill to my wifi after getting an inexpensive wifi extender. My question is why some grills are getting the firmware upgrades and current config files while others (like myself) are not. My grill to router signal strength is anywhere from fair to excellent - do you think a more stable/stronger signal would help? If so, can you recommend a good wifi extender? Thanks!

I have successfully paired my grill to my wifi after getting an inexpensive wifi extender. My question is why some grills are getting the firmware upgrades and current config files while others (like myself) are not. My grill to router signal strength is anywhere from fair to excellent - do you think a more stable/stronger signal would help? If so, can you recommend a good wifi extender? Thanks!

Short answer up front - Wi-Fi Signal Strength is not the issue ... I have my dedicated IOT Router / Wireless Access Point no more than 3 feet away from my PRO 780 (signal shows as "Excellent") and I am still stuck on Firmware 02.00.01 / Config 03.007 ... I have left the Grill powered on for 7+ days straight, and power cycled it numerous times to no avail ... Traeger Support will openly admit that the WiFIRE Controller communicates to the Traeger Cloud at Power On and that is when an update check is done ... if the Traeger Cloud recognizes that your WiFIRE Controller is in need of an update, it should begin PUSHing the update down (Downloading Files) within a few minutes ... if that is not happening, leaving the grill on indefinitely is not going to help (due to the update check occurring as part of the WiFIRE Controllers "start up" process after it is turned on ...) ...

What Model Grill and what version of Firmware / Config do you have currently installed?

The answer to "why" is currently a mystery, as Traeger has yet to provide any official explanation ... the Grill UUID is how the Traeger Cloud back-end identifies and tracks the specific WiFIRE Controller in each grill ... the fact that some WiFIRE Controllers are being recognized as needing a Firmware Update and/or a Config Update, while others are not, points to data integrity issues with the Grill UUID values stored in the Traeger Cloud ... I suspect they need to do some "data scrubbing" along with another set of updates to get this working again for impacted WiFIRE Controllers ... a May Update is PENDING that is supposed to resolve this issue ...

The Firmware version applies to all WiFIRE Controllers, regardless of the Grill Model ...
The Config version is Grill Model Specific ... this is where a grill receives feature updates such as the ability to select 500 degrees ...

At present, it seems like there are three versions of Firmware floating around ...

2.00.01 - January 2020 Update Release ... this update release has created some havoc ... it seems to have put the WiFIRE Controller into a Factory Reset for some Grills, and people are struggling to get the WiFIRE Controller reconnected to their Home Wi-Fi Network ... it can be done, but it takes following a somewhat structured troubleshooting approach, and from what I am seeing on the various Traeger-related Facebook Groups, a subset of people want to complain and randomly try things without going through a process to resolve the issue ... and Traeger Support is not much help in most instances ... this release is also where many of us ended up in "update jail" ... more about that below ... on the PLUS side, a few people have this version of Firmware installed, but also were able to get a updated Config version, which is allowing them to go up to 500 degrees ... the "whys" behind all of this point to some technology challenges related to People / Process / Technology within Traeger itself - they are going through the growing pains of managing IOT-devices as a Technology company ...

2.01.00 - March 2020 Update Release ... those lucky enough to receive this update release seem to also be getting the necessary Config data update applied to support 500 degrees ... still see some variances in the Config version installed when receiving this update, but very few people seem to have this version of Firmware, and an older Config version, which would be preventing them from going up to 500 degrees ... if the WiFIRE Controller is updating the Firmware, it should also be updating the Config version ... and that fact that it isn't 100% of the time again points to issues with the Grill UUID and the Traeger Cloud back-end ...

... and finally, over the past few days, people are reporting 2.01.01 being installed - this is at present an undocumented release ...

Here is what I have been sharing via various Traeger-related Facebook Groups over the past 7-10 days ... it is up-to-date with the exception of the undocumented 2.01.01 Firmware update ...

---------------------

If your WiFIRE/Grill is not updating to support 500 degrees ... Your WiFIRE/Grill is in "update jail" ... This covers the "issue":

Firmware for all Traeger Grills is currently 2.01.0 - that is likely to change in the month of May as another update is forthcoming ... The ability to support 500 degrees is tied to the Config data file version for each Grill, and that value is Grill Model specific - see the following: https://www.traegergrills.com/status

04.016 is the current Config data version for the PRO 575
03.010 is the current Config data version for the PRO 780
08.005 is the current Config data version for the Timberline 850
07.006 is the current Config data version for the Timberline 1300
06.009 is the current Config data version for the Ironwood 650
05.009 is the current Config data version for the Ironwood 885
10.005 is the current Config data version for the Silverton 620
09.005 is the current Config data version for the Silverton 810
11.005 is the current Config data version for the Century 885

The pending May Update SHOULD address the KNOWN ISSUE for those Grill owners who are unable to get WiFIRE to update to the latest Firmware / Config versions - so you may need to be patient and wait for that release to go live ... and at present, updates can only be PUSHed down from the Traeger Cloud, so you cannot invoke it manually ... at some point, the Traeger App will support PULL updates, so you can control if/when the update(s) are installed ...

Last edited:
Hello dunawayfamily, I have a Gen1 (I think) Ironwood 885, and it does not appear to have a config version, any idea why that would be?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200513-180445_Traeger.jpg
    Screenshot_20200513-180445_Traeger.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 15720760698804856127426294243059.png
    15720760698804856127426294243059.png
    563.6 KB · Views: 31
Hello dunawayfamily, I have a Gen1 (I think) Ironwood 885, and it does not appear to have a config version, any idea why that would be?

Based on the pictures, that is not the "newer" D2 WiFIRE Controllers that they have on the Gen2 Models and Traeger does not differentiate between Gen1 and Gen2 on the WiFIRE Status Page https://www.traegergrills.com/status ... the website lacks any historical support documentation (or even current documentation as it relates to User Manuals, etc.) ... sigh - they really need to improve their customer-facing support capabilities, especially around "self-service" ...

Short answer up front - Wi-Fi Signal Strength is not the issue ... I have my dedicated IOT Router / Wireless Access Point no more than 3 feet away from my PRO 780 (signal shows as "Excellent") and I am still stuck on Firmware 02.00.01 / Config 03.007 ... I have left the Grill powered on for 7+ days straight, and power cycled it numerous times to no avail ... Traeger Support will openly admit that the WiFIRE Controller communicates to the Traeger Cloud at Power On and that is when an update check is done ... if the Traeger Cloud recognizes that your WiFIRE Controller is in need of an update, it should begin PUSHing the update down (Downloading Files) within a few minutes ... if that is not happening, leaving the grill on indefinitely is not going to help (due to the update check occurring as part of the WiFIRE Controllers "start up" process after it is turned on ...) ...

What Model Grill and what version of Firmware / Config do you have currently installed?

The answer to "why" is currently a mystery, as Traeger has yet to provide any official explanation ... the Grill UUID is how the Traeger Cloud back-end identifies and tracks the specific WiFIRE Controller in each grill ... the fact that some WiFIRE Controllers are being recognized as needing a Firmware Update and/or a Config Update, while others are not, points to data integrity issues with the Grill UUID values stored in the Traeger Cloud ... I suspect they need to do some "data scrubbing" along with another set of updates to get this working again for impacted WiFIRE Controllers ... a May Update is PENDING that is supposed to resolve this issue ...

The Firmware version applies to all WiFIRE Controllers, regardless of the Grill Model ...
The Config version is Grill Model Specific ... this is where a grill receives feature updates such as the ability to select 500 degrees ...

At present, it seems like there are three versions of Firmware floating around ...

2.00.01 - January 2020 Update Release ... this update release has created some havoc ... it seems to have put the WiFIRE Controller into a Factory Reset for some Grills, and people are struggling to get the WiFIRE Controller reconnected to their Home Wi-Fi Network ... it can be done, but it takes following a somewhat structured troubleshooting approach, and from what I am seeing on the various Traeger-related Facebook Groups, a subset of people want to complain and randomly try things without going through a process to resolve the issue ... and Traeger Support is not much help in most instances ... this release is also where many of us ended up in "update jail" ... more about that below ... on the PLUS side, a few people have this version of Firmware installed, but also were able to get a updated Config version, which is allowing them to go up to 500 degrees ... the "whys" behind all of this point to some technology challenges related to People / Process / Technology within Traeger itself - they are going through the growing pains of managing IOT-devices as a Technology company ...

2.01.00 - March 2020 Update Release ... those lucky enough to receive this update release seem to also be getting the necessary Config data update applied to support 500 degrees ... still see some variances in the Config version installed when receiving this update, but very few people seem to have this version of Firmware, and an older Config version, which would be preventing them from going up to 500 degrees ... if the WiFIRE Controller is updating the Firmware, it should also be updating the Config version ... and that fact that it isn't 100% of the time again points to issues with the Grill UUID and the Traeger Cloud back-end ...

... and finally, over the past few days, people are reporting 2.01.01 being installed - this is at present an undocumented release ...

Here is what I have been sharing via various Traeger-related Facebook Groups over the past 7-10 days ... it is up-to-date with the exception of the undocumented 2.01.01 Firmware update ...

---------------------

If your WiFIRE/Grill is not updating to support 500 degrees ... Your WiFIRE/Grill is in "update jail" ... This covers the "issue":

Firmware for all Traeger Grills is currently 2.01.0 - that is likely to change in the month of May as another update is forthcoming ... The ability to support 500 degrees is tied to the Config data file version for each Grill, and that value is Grill Model specific - see the following: https://www.traegergrills.com/status

04.016 is the current Config data version for the PRO 575
03.010 is the current Config data version for the PRO 780
08.005 is the current Config data version for the Timberline 850
07.006 is the current Config data version for the Timberline 1300
06.009 is the current Config data version for the Ironwood 650
05.009 is the current Config data version for the Ironwood 885
10.005 is the current Config data version for the Silverton 620
09.005 is the current Config data version for the Silverton 810
11.005 is the current Config data version for the Century 885

The pending May Update SHOULD address the KNOWN ISSUE for those Grill owners who are unable to get WiFIRE to update to the latest Firmware / Config versions - so you may need to be patient and wait for that release to go live ... and at present, updates can only be PUSHed down from the Traeger Cloud, so you cannot invoke it manually ... at some point, the Traeger App will support PULL updates, so you can control if/when the update(s) are installed ...
Thank you for the clear explanation. I received an email from ...clearsourcebpo.com asking what my uuid is but have not heard back. The only reason I want the latest config file is to hopefully fix my grill's low temperature. It is 50 degrees or so lower than what it should be & it is my understanding that the latest version will fix this.

Thank you for the clear explanation. I received an email from ...clearsourcebpo.com asking what my uuid is but have not heard back. The only reason I want the latest config file is to hopefully fix my grill's low temperature. It is 50 degrees or so lower than what it should be & it is my understanding that the latest version will fix this.

Hmmm - clearsourcebpo.com looks like a Customer Support "outsourcer" in UT, so Traeger must be overwhelmed with support inquiries ... no surprise ... their online documentation is lacking (missing information, incorrect information, lack of manuals available in PDF format, etc.) ... and phone support is not much better ...

Out of curiosity, is there a specific protein you want to cook at 500 degrees, or is it more frustration at not getting the capability added to your WiFIRE? I want the latest updates as well, but since everything we cook is usually done at 350 degrees and lower, I am impatiently playing their "waiting game" ... if the May Updates do not resolve this issue, I will get more vocal :)

Let us know how the back-and-forth regarding the Grill UUID goes - interested to see/hear what is communicated

Based on the pictures, that is not the "newer" D2 WiFIRE Controllers that they have on the Gen2 Models and Traeger does not differentiate between Gen1 and Gen2 on the WiFIRE Status page

Thanks for the reply, was just curious. At least it is working and the new app connects, although I still don't get audio alerts on my Samsung phone, which is not a big deal, I dont use the meat probe (I have a Fireboard) and set times on my phone.

Thanks for the reply, was just curious. At least it is working and the new app connects, although I still don't get audio alerts on my Samsung phone, which is not a big deal, I dont use the meat probe (I have a Fireboard) and set times on my phone.

Regarding Alerts and the "new" app ... I no longer get any notifications (visual, audio, or otherwise) on my iPhone / Apple Watch unless the phone is locked or the app is closed ... when those conditions are met, I will see visual notifications (no sound) on the phone and my watch will vibrate with a visual notification ... so something definitely changed with the 2.0x version of the app in this regard ... Fireboard is future purchase for sure so I can monitor multiple proteins and verify the "hot spots" in the grill from an ambient temperature perspective ...

Hmmm - clearsourcebpo.com looks like a Customer Support "outsourcer" in UT, so Traeger must be overwhelmed with support inquiries ... no surprise ... their online documentation is lacking (missing information, incorrect information, lack of manuals available in PDF format, etc.) ... and phone support is not much better ...

Out of curiosity, is there a specific protein you want to cook at 500 degrees, or is it more frustration at not getting the capability added to your WiFIRE? I want the latest updates as well, but since everything we cook is usually done at 350 degrees and lower, I am impatiently playing their "waiting game" ... if the May Updates do not resolve this issue, I will get more vocal :)

Let us know how the back-and-forth regarding the Grill UUID goes - interested to see/hear what is communicated
I am hoping the upgrade fixes the low temperature. It seems to be 50-60 degrees lower than what it is registering. I don't really care about searing at 500 degrees as I have a Weber Genesis that can do that.

I am hoping the upgrade fixes the low temperature. It seems to be 50-60 degrees lower than what it is registering. I don't really care about searing at 500 degrees as I have a Weber Genesis that can do that.

What firmware / config is currently installed on your WiFIRE? I have seen reports of issues with the grill not actually reaching the desired temp as displayed, but haven't been able to associate that behavior to a specific firmware / config level ... Thanks!

What firmware / config is currently installed on your WiFIRE? I have seen reports of issues with the grill not actually reaching the desired temp as displayed, but haven't been able to associate that behavior to a specific firmware / config level ... Thanks!
I have a pro 575; firmware is 2.00.01 & config is 4.012. I smoked a whole chicken following a Traeger recipe which was supposed to take 3 hours & it took 6. I had to finish it in the oven. Others on this forum have had the same problem. I won't smoke any expensive meat until this gets resolved.

I have a pro 575; firmware is 2.00.01 & config is 4.012. I smoked a whole chicken following a Traeger recipe which was supposed to take 3 hours & it took 6. I had to finish it in the oven. Others on this forum have had the same problem. I won't smoke any expensive meat until this gets resolved.

Thanks - glad I haven't had that issue on my PRO 780 ... for large(r) cuts of meat I definitely use the meat probe to monitor progress ... gonna get a Fireboard so I can keep track of multiple proteins and the ambient temp within the grill ...

Latest Discussions

Back