Traeger Pro 575 Plug-in Probe Accuracy

Calvin

Reaction score
Grill
Traeger Pro 575
So I've let the plug-in probe sit exposed inside the grill near the built-in probe on the right side and it was reading approximately 8-10 degrees cooler than the internal grill temperature. I also put the whole probe into a glass of water as well as my Thermapro Insta-read thermometer and the Traeger plug-in pro was 8-10 degrees cooler than the Thermapro. I tried the Calibration function via the Traeger Menu using the same glass of ice water and nothing changed.

INSIDE SEALED GRILL
Traeger Plug-in Probe Temp -- 184-186
Trager Pro Internal Temp -- 195

INSIDE GLASS OF ICE WATER
Traeger Plug-in Probe Temp -- 27-29
Thermapro Thermometer -- 38

Can anyone tell me how to get an accurate reading from the plug-in probe?

UPDATE: I'm an idiot (and very new to all of this). I corrected with the Probe Offset.

Last edited:
I NEVER took mine out of the plastic bag....

I will never use Traeger's meat probe for anything... instant reads, Fireboard, and Meaters. The End

The probe offset helps, but for me it still feels a little wonky at times. For long cooks, I will use it until I'm fairly close to temp, maybe 10 degrees below the target. After that, I use a much more accurate instant read digital meat thermometer and/or more reliable probe to finish.

Last edited:
What is Probe offset?
It's a setting that you can use to correct the probe if it (and the calibration) are a few degrees off. For example, if you set a probe in ice water for a few minutes, it should read 32 degrees F (0 Celsius). If your probe is reading (say) 36F, you can "offset" -4F so it will read 32.

That said, this probe is OK as a rough estimate, but I prefer to use better, more precise probes. It can tell you when you are close to finishing the cook, but I would not rely on it to know when I "hit" the target temperature.

My probe is basically useless. I calibrated using ice water and another probe to 32°F. Used the offset to adjust the temp to correct it. Then tested boiling water and it was about 30° off at 212°.
No real way to compensate for both spectrums. I rely solely on my Fireboard2 now for both pit temp and meat probe.

My probe is basically useless. I calibrated using ice water and another probe to 32°F. Used the offset to adjust the temp to correct it. Then tested boiling water and it was about 30° off at 212°.
No real way to compensate for both spectrums. I rely solely on my Fireboard2 now for both pit temp and meat probe.
Why worry about calibrating on the cold side? Calibrate it on the hot side of the spectrum and it will be a useful tool to indicate you are getting close. Many don’t want to spring for a fire board.

Why worry about calibrating on the cold side? Calibrate it on the hot side of the spectrum and it will be a useful tool to indicate you are getting close. Many don’t want to spring for a fire board.
Because even at that it isn't linear. I went to the maximum offset at 212 to correct the differential. But at 110-130 it wasn't accurate, so I would need to select a specific temperature and calibrate to that and know it is only correct for that temp.
Easiest answer was abother method of metering. I was using my kitchen probe,but figured I would get a Fireboard.
My IW650 unit is new and under warranty, I am sure I could start the troubleshooting and get parts replaced. Maybe that would correct it, but I am satisfied with the Fireboard2

The probe offset helps, but for me it still feels a little wonky at times. For long cooks, I will use it until I'm fairly close to temp, maybe 10 degrees below the target. After that, I use a much more accurate instant read digital meat thermometer and/or more reliable probe to finish.
Does anyone know if the Thermoworks meat probes work with the Traeger grills?

Does anyone know if the Thermoworks meat probes work with the Traeger grills?

No they don't if you mean IN a Traeger grill probe port

Latest Discussions

Back