Traeger Pro 34 Temp Issue

SteelPenguin

Reaction score
I recently purchased a new Traeger Pro 34 directly from Traeger. A couple of days after assembling and curing, I did my first cook.

While I am impressed with the overall quality of the grill, I don't think the controller is working as it should. The grill will heat to the desired temperature (set at 275 it will top out at around 283) but will fall to 235-240 before it starts heating again. It cycled like that throughout the 3 hour cook cycle.

I would very much appreciate any constructive insight.

I recently purchased a new Traeger Pro 34 directly from Traeger. A couple of days after assembling and curing, I did my first cook.

While I am impressed with the overall quality of the grill, I don't think the controller is working as it should. The grill will heat to the desired temperature (set at 275 it will top out at around 283) but will fall to 235-240 before it starts heating again. It cycled like that throughout the 3 hour cook cycle.

Hard to get them to reply to a problem for some reason!!!!! Very disappointed in mine. Temp varies wildly up and down in smoke mode.

Bought my Pro 34 in May and it worked for a month then started to error. Traeger sent me a new probe but this did not fix it. Traeger sent me another probe and again, did not fix it. They gave me a list of repair places and they picked it up. Called me a few days later and said it was the controller and the auger was falling out and missing screws. They fixed all the problems and tested it for several days and it ran great. A couple of weeks later I smoked a 22 lb turkey and it was awesome. Tonight I put an 18 lb brisket on for Christmas Eve dinner and it died after 2 hours. I previously owned a smaller traeger and not one problem. This Pro 34 is a piece of crap. Might look at different brand.

All these things are typical of the 'dial' controllers on those models... I had a Pro 22 and it wouldn't even go low enough to do Jerky so I UPGRADED to the 575 which is the same size as the 22 but has the WIFIRE digital controller and is a huge difference and a lot more stable temps... controlling the auger is more advanced in the WIFIRE models.

I too was pissed off with my 22... in love with my 575. Unfortunately you cannot depend on Traeger's lower end models. YES you should be able to but it's a fact, they suck. I learned the hard way too... took mine straight back to Home Depot.

I know this is a little off topic and for that I apologize. Just got the insulated blanket for my pro 34. Has any had any problems with them? Temp today is going to be in 50-60 range but windy. Was going to reverse sear some NY strips with the blanket on and wanted to make sure it would hold up okay and not ruin my outside paint.

And to stay on topic I had problems with holding heat on my pro 34 when I first got it as well. Contacted customer service and they sent me new probe. Worked okay but still same problem called and again and they sent me a new fan. Haven’t installed that yet but I have noticed the more I use and keep temp probe clean the more it keeps heat. I have never had a problem with customer service. Just my two sense🍻

I Have had mine for a year and it has never reached temp correctly also the auger struggles to work then you have to disassemble it to clean it they have sent me parts several times (last thing they sent was the the box and auger assy ) but nothing works to correct the problem i am lucky to get to 350 . the new box and auger ASSY after I installed said the temp was at 460 but was really between 300 and 350 - after two hours on the phone with Trager they told me their was no problem and that my "third party thermometer" was not accurate and thus unacceptable man was I mad I have been a faithful owner since 2007 and had no problems with my first grill.

Back