Traeger pastrami

RodeoCookies

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 34
I recently bought a corned beef round at Costco and decided to try making a cheater Pastrami without the hassle of brining and curing.
I used a generic rub for the crust of mustard, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and coriander.
I set the smoker to the smoke setting for about an hour then went up to 225 until it came to an internal temp of 160° according to a recipe I had. It looked good and had a nice smokey flavor but it was not very tender and was a bit salty.
After a little research I found it needed to be steamed to an internal temp of 205°. After the steaming it was delicious. Nice and tender and the steam removed the saltiness.
I will definitely do another one.

Attachments

• 0429211038-00.jpg
    0429211038-00.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 317
  • 0430211719-00.jpg
    0430211719-00.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 46
I recently bought a corned beef round at Costco and decided to try making a cheater Pastrami without the hassle of brining and curing.
I used a generic rub for the crust of mustard, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and coriander.
I set the smoker to the smoke setting for about an hour then went up to 225 until it came to an internal temp of 160° according to a recipe I had. It looked good and had a nice smokey flavor but it was not very tender and was a bit salty.
After a little research I found it needed to be steamed to an internal temp of 205°. After the steaming it was delicious. Nice and tender and the steam removed the saltiness.
I will definitely do another one.
You have to rinse the corned beef really well prior to smoking it. The liquid it is sitting in is their brine. You can even soak it in cold water and change out the water a few times to get the salt down.
I just did a cheater one about a month ago. It turned out great. Took it to 165 on the Traeger. Then 24 hours in the sous vide at 165. It was perfect.
I am on day 7 on my dry brine on a brisket being turned into Montreal Smoked Meat. I will smoke it until 165 and then do the sous vide for 24 hours at 165F as well. Last time I steamed it. But I was too impressed with the pastrami I did I need to keep with what worked the best for me

Next time you do one:
  • soak it over night in a sugar/pickling spice water brine (this draws out the salt and gives it a good flavor)
  • Pick up this rub https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B007SR8IP2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It has everything in it used by the Katz corned beef method
  • Use 1 whole bottle of that rub and, mustard first, on your corned beef, sit in frig overnight UNcovered
  • Smoke at 250° wrap like a brisket after you see a very dark bark on your meat ( - WRAP IN PEACH PAPER) Take it to 200°
started here https://www.traegerforum.com/threads/whats-for-dinner-tonight-dinner-ideas.93/page-25#post-13915
recorded here https://www.traegerforum.com/threads/whats-for-dinner-tonight-dinner-ideas.93/page-26#post-13971

I am looking to try my first "Pastrami" I have seen various recipes that have notes that they have changed., so I thought that I would query the Group on now to Traeger your first Pastrami. Going down to Costco to get a brisket. any thoughts or help would be appreciated....

I am looking to try my first "Pastrami" I have seen various recipes that have notes that they have changed., so I thought that I would query the Group on now to Traeger your first Pastrami. Going down to Costco to get a brisket. any thoughts or help would be appreciated....
mine was corned beef turned into Pastrami... recipe is above

I pickup a brisket at Costco ($5.99/lb),Should I brine the whole brisket, or split the flat and the point and turn the flat into pastrami and the point into a smoked brisket…

Do the flat into pastrami and the point to burnt ends. 😁

I split the 2 mussel, the point is now resting in S&P over night
the flat is in the Brine from Traeger pastrami recipe….

I split the 2 mussel, the point is now resting in S&P over night
the flat is in the Brine from Traeger pastrami recipe….

What pink curing salt do you have

Latest Discussions

Back