Traeger is tripping GFI every time I plug it in.

sduncan2000

Reaction score
Grill
Traeger 575
Hi there,

I am looking for some help in fixing my Traeger. Every time I plug it in and try to start it, my house GFI is tripped. You see the lights come on in the temp gauge and then it immediately trips the GFI. I have tried two different outlets on different circuits but it does the same for both. Any ideas on what is going on? I have read that it may be the control unit or auger motor. My unit is about 7 years old. Thanks in advanced.

Hi there,

I am looking for some help in fixing my Traeger. Every time I plug it in and try to start it, my house GFI is tripped. You see the lights come on in the temp gauge and then it immediately trips the GFI. I have tried two different outlets on different circuits but it does the same for both. Any ideas on what is going on? I have read that it may be the control unit or auger motor. My unit is about 7 years old. Thanks in advanced.
Replace the power cord as a first pass, somewhere there is current leakage to ground, or faulty ground. If not the cord, and if it's not a DC unit with power supply module to suspect, but an instead an A/C unit, it would be the controller, fan, or auger leaking current to ground. Traeger "should" know what is the most common cause.

Unplug the grill and check/clean the hot rod igniter that starts the pellets in the fire pot. This is usually the culprit.
It should be sticking out about 1/8-1/4". Make sure it is not able to slide in and out as its held in place by a set screw.

Last edited:
Unplug the grill and check/clean the hot rod igniter that starts the pellets in the fire pot. This is usually the culprit.
It should be sticking out about 1/8-1/4". Make sure it is not able to slide in and out as its held in place by a set screw.
I'd be surprised as the hot rod doesn't rely on ground, it's a two wire device so it's basically self contained, unless it's internally defective and now making electrical contact with the grounded grill body. It that's the case, then replacement is required.

I just got the new PRO 575 and am passing down a BBQ 075 from 2008 to my son.
Just joined the forum and was hoping to help.
Replaced the hot rod twice for this problem on the 075, and as I recall when they were putting them together in the grill shop they quickly realized that if the rod was adjusted out to far it would blow the breaker.
This troubleshooter should help.

I just got the new PRO 575 and am passing down a BBQ 075 from 2008 to my son.
Just joined the forum and was hoping to help.
Replaced the hot rod twice for this problem on the 075, and as I recall when they were putting them together in the grill shop they quickly realized that if the rod was adjusted out to far it would blow the breaker.
This troubleshooter should help.
Perfect guide, isolate each subsystem piece until you find the culprit. Any one can leak to ground and pop a GFI, including a worn power cord.

But a mis adjusted hot rod should not be a cause, unless the clamp screw damaged its casing.

Perfect guide, isolate each subsystem piece until you find the culprit. Any one can leak to ground and pop a GFI, including a worn power cord.

But a mis adjusted hot rod should not be a cause, unless the clamp screw damaged its casing.

This happened to me after a rain storm. I didn’t connect the dots immediately, but eventually looked in the extension cord and the outlet was waterlogged. Dried it out and the problem resolved.

If you use an extension cord with your Traeger, try to reduce the chance of water getting into the junction. I wind the cord around the leg of my Traeger such that the connection is made below the grill. That minimizes water getting into the connection. If you rarely unplug the Traeger cord from the extension cord, you can always wrap the connectors in electrical tape.

If you use an extension cord with your Traeger, try to reduce the chance of water getting into the junction. I wind the cord around the leg of my Traeger such that the connection is made below the grill. That minimizes water getting into the connection. If you rarely unplug the Traeger cord from the extension cord, you can always wrap the connectors in electrical tape.
I just bought a new 10 foot power cord from prime cables - it was like 8 bucks... it's the same power connector as a printer or computer - no need for extension cord with a Traeger

I just bought a new 10 foot power cord from prime cables - it was like 8 bucks... it's the same power connector as a printer or computer - no need for extension cord with a Traeger

You are correct about the type of cable. It is similar to one used by computer power supplies and some monitors and printers. Most cables will be only 6 ft long. However, I did find one that was 15 ft long. I will order one of them to replace my current extension cord setup. A 10 ft cord won't be long enough for my application.

These are everywhere during Christmas for outdoor lights. They are great for any extension cord use

Attachments

• IMG_2869.png
    IMG_2869.png
    717 KB · Views: 19
Back