Traeger directly on counter?

Drhurricane36

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
Can I take the legs off and place directly on granite outdoor island? I did today but the controller was hot. Do I need some space between countertop and traeger base like a kamado?

dunawayfamily

Reaction score
Grill
PRO 780
Can I take the legs off and place directly on granite outdoor island? I did today but the controller was hot. Do I need some space between countertop and traeger base like a kamado?
Someone did that on one of the Traeger-related FB Groups and I believe the WiFIRE Controller melted ... Traeger would not cover under warranty as removing the legs is a modification and the resulting lack of heat dissipation without the legs was deemed a direct cause ...

RemE

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
All the air flow is thru the bottom of the hopper, I would think that it should have at least an inch or more of space under it to cool things.

OP
OP
D

Drhurricane36

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
Thanks. I built a three tiered outdoor kitchen island for primo and traeger. I've seen some builds online that had the Traeger right on the countertop so I didn't think much of it. Until it got so hot yesterday. I read where 2 inches of air displaces as much heat as 14 inches of concrete. Thanks for the help.

Durlinda

Reaction score
Grill
Traeger Tailgater 20
I’m considering putting the tailgater on a rolling cart with the legs folded under it. Will this allow enough airflow so it doesn’t overheat?

OP
OP
D

Drhurricane36

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
Looks like the tailgater needs the same cooling room too.
I've propped the unit up with Primo ceramic feet. Made a big difference and may add another inch or more for circulation.