Help! Traeger 34 not getting above 400

nickv

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 34
I purchased the Traeger 34 about a week and a half ago. I have cooked on it 6 times so far but have had trouble getting the grill above 400 degrees. Actually it has never happened yet. Now, every time I have cooked the outside weather has been in the 50-60 degree range with maybe 10mph winds. (this does not seem like harsh weather conditions). So I was just wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks to help me get over 400.

I have cooked all my foods with the reverse sear method. So far I have made grilled boneless chicken breasts 3 times, burgers twice and 1.5" NY Strip (which was absolutely delicious). None of these cooks ended up with much of a sear, more like grill marks.

I am not complaining or really upset I imagined myself using this more as a slow cook/smoker but was just hoping I would be able to grill more on it.

Could the size of the grill have something to do with it? Any suggestions would be awesome.

PS- I have cleaned the grill after every other cook. Vacuumed out ash, cleaned the RTD, and wiped down the grill and inside.

Back