Tools of the trade (knifes & cutting instruments)

Fisty

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 1300
Just because curiosity has got the best of me, and I'm always up for learning new things to do with my new found love for grilling & cooking.

What are the tools you use?
What brand/type of knives do you use?

I'm looking for any and everything you're all willing to share, pics, links, bank account numbers..... okay, scratch that last one.

I've personally been looking into a couple of "Carving toys", but before I pull the trigger, I'd like to have some feedback from my fellow meat (or veggies) brothers & sisters.

I buy local from a cutlery in the Italian district of STL... take there anytime to sharpen also.

They have their "own" brand and it's very affordable and they cut unbelievably. But I don't see them on the website... I think it's a "walk in" thing.

Attachments

• 20201010_094817.jpg
    20201010_094817.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 33
I have a Chicago Cutlery filet knife that’s some 40 years old. Used it to filet tuna, blues, flounder etc. it’s got a carbon steel blade that takes a great edge, a polyethylene handle and came with a leather scabbard. Not sure if they still sell it but excellent bang for the buck.
I’ll post a picture soon.
I laid into a pork butt fat cap with it in no time. If I ran out of blades I could shave with it.

Last edited:
Any good steel knife that holds an edge. Beware of Chinese crap masquerading as Japanese Damascus steel knives. They are not bad, but are not as good as they should be.

I am a fan of Friedrich Dick knives. German quality. Reasonable prices. You can find them on Amazon too.

Sweet, thanks for sharing your weapons of meat destruction.

Anyone have any preferences on meat slicers?

Im in the same situation as Fisty. I have no "good" knives. My son-in-law works as a meat cutter at a local grocery store and says he uses the Victorinox knifes that magoo40 posted. He really likes them. I dropped a hint that Christmas is coming.

I picked up a set of Wusthof knives a few years ago. Got a crazy deal on them at the time because they were an “open box” floor model. Very happy with them.

Sweet, thanks for sharing your weapons of meat destruction.

Anyone have any preferences on meat slicers?
Having tried several "reasonably priced" slicers, I suggest you bite the bullet and get a restaurant quality model. I'm a firm believer in the old adage of "I should have bought the second one first!" Of course if you get a good slicing knife you may not need an electric slicer.

Having tried several "reasonably priced" slicers, I suggest you bite the bullet and get a restaurant quality model. I'm a firm believer in the old adage of "I should have bought the second one first!" Of course if you get a good slicing knife you may not need an electric slicer.
Expensive to find, even a used restaurant quality slicer. But a wise suggestion if one is looking to go that route. Hobart or any if the main brands demand a high price even used.
I have a 10" Cabela's brand slicer and its horrible to use. I know why they explain to you that you can't bring it back the second you walk out the door.
I literally have to tarp off my kitchen to use it because it throws meat everywhere while slicing

.......because it throws meat everywhere while slicing.

There's a dirty joke in there somewhere I just know it.

As far as the slicer... not sure how much I would actually use it to justify spending top dollar. At the same token, I've always been a believer of, "You get what you pay for" kind of guy. For some reason, my wife doesn't share my views on that though. She buys the cheapest crap then bitches when it breaks after using it twice. Being the supportive husband that I am.... I point & laugh as I walk away. That look I get from her..... PRICELESS!!!

Ha, yup you have to pick your battles.

I've always wanted a slicer, but if I walked in with one, or a commercial vacuum sealer there would be.... unrest.

I went with a 6’” boning knife for trimming and a 14” victornox for slicing. my briskets... otherwise just some good kitchen knifes that I sharpen with wet stones at least monthly. Got a keep the knifes sharp ....

Back