To Wrap or not?

Tracy V

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
I was wondering if you have to wrap during the stall or can you just cook straight through it? TIA

Wrap what???

Boston butt, but Im asking in general. Do you have to wrap anything that stalls?

Boston butt, but Im asking in general. Do you have to wrap anything that stalls?

NO.

Big meat stalls because of the science of how it heats, once the outer layer of a meat gets done it starts to block the heat from reaching the 'inner' layer.

Briskets are wrapped in paper once you see you have enough 'bark' or around the 'stall' (165-175), then the temp is raised and cooked till 203 IT

Pork butts are NOT wrapped during the cook at all... a stall at 165 will occur with every butt, but, these are cooked till done... 201° IT .... THEN THEY ARE FOIL WRAPPED, towel wrapped, and placed in a cooler for anywhere from 1-4 hours to 'rest' and the tissues break down and get juicy.

Ribs are wrapped after 3 hours of cooking, usually for about 2 hours in foil, then after that cook more or not, up to your liking.

NO.

Big meat stalls because of the science of how it heats, once the outer layer of a meat gets done it starts to block the heat from reaching the 'inner' layer.

Briskets are wrapped in paper once you see you have enough 'bark' or around the 'stall' (165-175), then the temp is raised and cooked till 203 IT

Pork butts are NOT wrapped during the cook at all... a stall at 165 will occur with every butt, but, these are cooked till done... 201° IT .... THEN THEY ARE FOIL WRAPPED, towel wrapped, and placed in a cooler for anywhere from 1-4 hours to 'rest' and the tissues break down and get juicy.

Ribs are wrapped after 3 hours of cooking, usually for about 2 hours in foil, then after that cook more or not, up to your liking.
Thank you so much, this clears up alot of my questions!! You're the best!

I don’t wrap butts anymore, cuttem in half and letter ride.
5234FD24-422B-4F24-A0D6-9549B9DA5A82.jpeg

Hey Slim, I put boston butt on at 1am, I'm just now taking it out if smoker 19 hours later!! It was 7.4 lbs at 225 degrees, does that sound right? 19 hours? P.s. I didn't wrap her!
Sorry I wasn't around at the time but didn't you see where we all wrap BUTTs after they are done for at least an hour... did you do that and did it turn out ok????

I wrapped it for 3 hours after I took it off the smoker. It smoked a total of 19 hours to get to 202, then I wrapped for 3 hours. Lol it was midnight so I said F it, put it in fridge and went to bed! I just pulled it now it looks and tastes great!

Attachments

• 16322357163804515103301671659935.jpg
    16322357163804515103301671659935.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 24
I wrapped it for 3 hours after I took it off the smoker. It smoked a total of 19 hours to get to 202, then I wrapped for 3 hours. Lol it was midnight so I said F it, put it in fridge and went to bed! I just pulled it now it looks and tastes great!
Looks quite yummy! Beats a midnight snack of potato chips :)

last weekend I smoked a boneless butt overnight at 220F (grate). I put it on at 830pm. Meat temp alarms set for 175.

I woke up at 5am, temp was just over 160F and I decided to just get up, wrap it then and go back to sleep. It went 3 more hours and was done to perfection. IT temps varied from 202 to 208 and it was probe tender"

It sat in a cooler wrapped in foil, and with towels until just before half time when it was fork shredded.

Oh yeah, with my Smoke X4, it was great being able to check temps without having to get out of bed :D

Last edited:
I still wrap after 4-5 hours (at about 160-165) but most of the time it's because I'm in a hurry and trying to get it done before dinner! I did this one today and the total cook time was about 8 hours.

traeger-pulled-pork-9-25-21.jpeg

I don't wrap butts. I do make sure there is a drip pan underneath with water for most of the cook. They tend to take 20-22 hours for my butts to be finished though.
As mentioned in the Pork Shoulder thread I’ll be smoking a bone in shoulder. I’ve never done mine unwrapped (letting it ride the entire time). Was thinking about leaving 1 of 2 unwrapped. I have a 7 and 7.5 pound. Approximately how long would the 7lb take unwrapped? I am thinking about starting in the evening.

As mentioned in the Pork Shoulder thread I’ll be smoking a bone in shoulder. I’ve never done mine unwrapped (letting it ride the entire time). Was thinking about leaving 1 of 2 unwrapped. I have a 7 and 7.5 pound. Approximately how long would the 7lb take unwrapped? I am thinking about starting in the evening.

At 225 it could take about 18 hours to finish. When you get close you can always bump the temp to 250 and speed things up. Wrapped can also go inside in the kitchen and finish in the oven. I've done that before to wrap things up outside early.

Back