Tips for optimal flavor

ZDUB44

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
I have been cooking on various Weber charcoal kettles for 20 plus years and just made the change to the Timberline 850. I will say the Timberline cooks my food perfectly. Everything comes out tender and never dry. However, I have tried various Traeger brand pellets, extended my smoking times with lower temps, yet I don't ever get much smoke or wood flavor. At this point it feels like my Traeger is a very good outdoor oven, but not really a wood burning grill. Are there any tips for optimizing the flavor of the wood pellets being used and getting more of a smokey taste in the foods I cook? Right now I am missing the flavors my charcoal Webers used to produce.

GrillMeister

Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885, Century 22, BGEx2, GMG Davey Crockett
What brand of pellets are you using? Mesquite & Hickory are strong smoke pellets. I use Mesquite for beef and Hickory for everything else and sometimes mix the two. When I want more smoke, I use this.

1608407852292.png

OP
OP
Z

ZDUB44

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
I've been using Traeger Hickory pellets, before that was using Traeger mesquite. I just ordered some Bear Mountain pellets to see if they make a difference. I have read a little bit about the smoker tube, I think I will give it a shot. Thanks for sending the link.