Timberline Series 850

arnie

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline Series 850
Once you set up the internet connection on the grill, when u unplug the power to the grill, do u have to set it all up again. Or does it remember the setings

Setting mine up tonight. I know no external antenna seems like a mess up with the coveage drops I have been reading about, but reprogram? Nah would not think so. Only thing I'll say is thing is right outside my door from the router and says weak signal. Only put it there for the software update.

Last edited:
Hi Arnie. WiFi settings are retained; once you connect your power cord and power-up the next time you'll be ready to rock & roll.

Hi Arnie. WiFi settings are retained; once you connect your power cord and power-up the next time you'll be ready to rock & roll.
Thanks 4 your reply. That what I was hoping

Setting mine up tonight. I know no external antenna seems like a mess up with the coveage drops I have been reading about, but reprogram? Nah would not think so. Only thing I'll say is thing is right outside my door from the router and says weak signal. Only put it there for the software update.
The Timberline 850 has an external antenna and will have serious range loss without it. The Ironwood's only have an internal antenna, in the controller face so they can have more range issues.

Thanks again RemE. Looked all over this thing and finnaly found it under the hopper. Would be nice if the put that in the instructions. I asked before becasue it came with one. Well want to go two fer two? It updated 18+ hours so I turned it off and went to redo it and now have power with a blank scrren. Any thoughts? Traeger says their severs were getting killing but it downloaded the update in less than 4 minutes then went into update mode 18+.

Thanks again RemE. Looked all over this thing and finnaly found it under the hopper. Would be nice if the put that in the instructions. I asked before becasue it came with one. Well want to go two fer two? It updated 18+ hours so I turned it off and went to redo it and now have power with a blank scrren. Any thoughts? Traeger says their severs were getting killing but it downloaded the update in less than 4 minutes then went into update mode 18+.

With a blank screen you may be bricked by the update. You can try pulling the plug for a while and see if it powers up. To be clear, you have a red lit rear power switch, AND, you have an illuminated white ring around the controller power button? Then when you press the controller power button, the display remains blank instead of powering up?

If that is the case, you could try a last ditch and hold the power button and the Ignite buttons for over 10 seconds, it might force a reset.

Only rear red power switch is lit. Controller button not which I know is not good. I have held every combo button I could thing of and no go. Man I thought the only time you "brick" something is when you put ILLEGAL software on something haaa. Their support says it takes 24 hours to update. Whatever. Well they put me on hold for 30 minutes and I just got hung up on.

Called back again, video conference this time and new controller on the way. Must be at least the 5th one I've seen on this site.

Last edited:
Only rear red power switch is lit. Controller button not which I know is not good. I have held every combo button I could thing of and no go. Man I thought the only time you "brick" something is when you put ILLEGAL software on something haaa. Their support says it takes 24 hours to update. Whatever. Well they put me on hold for 30 minutes and I just got hung up on.

Called back again, video conference this time and new controller on the way. Must be at least the 5th one I've seen on this site.
If the controller button is not lit (I have a timberline but am assuming all D2 controllers have a illuminated power button), I'm thinking that the power supply may be the problem. On one occasion my power button would not light up. I cycled the red power switch slowly, a few times and it then began working again. It never happened again.

Regarding bricking, sometimes software updates fail in the process, leaving a unit dead. Even Apple with tons of quality control has had this happen on occasion.

Yea no problem in the back, my white controller button would not light after "update". Have used/rewritten a lot of software on a lot of things both legal and not legal and have never bricked anything. Well new controller on the way anywho. Off to a flying start with this baby. I did have a tech tell me no antenna on this model when questioning why I would have a one in my bag. You saved me on that. Thanks Again and now on to your "resting" table. Now that is sweet!

I have an 850. Last September it started loosing the WiFi ten minutes into the cook cycle. Finally got Traeger to send me s new controller. Brought the grill next to the house (worked fine for three years 30 feet away) connected new controller. Revised WiFi to 2.4. ( again previously worked fine on auto 2.4/5.0 WiFi.)
Works now -58. Hung router out of the window and went down to 48. So the distance is now an issue. I want to move it back to the old spot 35 feet from house. Can I add a wire to the antenna wire on the controller? There’s a copper band around the controller that is penetrated by one of the screws that’s hold the controller to the grill. Is that part of the antenna?
Why does Traeger note that the 850 came with an antenna?

I have an 850. Last September it started loosing the WiFi ten minutes into the cook cycle. Finally got Traeger to send me s new controller. Brought the grill next to the house (worked fine for three years 30 feet away) connected new controller. Revised WiFi to 2.4. ( again previously worked fine on auto 2.4/5.0 WiFi.)
Works now -58. Hung router out of the window and went down to 48. So the distance is now an issue. I want to move it back to the old spot 35 feet from house. Can I add a wire to the antenna wire on the controller? There’s a copper band around the controller that is penetrated by one of the screws that’s hold the controller to the grill. Is that part of the antenna?
Why does Traeger note that the 850 came with an antenna?
My Timberline 850 is 1 year old, it's a "Gen2". I know that gen 2 models have an external antenna, mounted below the pellet hopper. Your's being 3 years old? May be the Gen1 and not have an external antenna. If it's internal, you can't just add a wire to extend range. Models with internal antennas need to face towards the wifi source for best range because it's in the controller face.

My Timberline 850 is 1 year old, it's a "Gen2". I know that gen 2 models have an external antenna, mounted below the pellet hopper. Your's being 3 years old? May be the Gen1 and not have an external antenna. If it's internal, you can't just add a wire to extend range. Models with internal antennas need to face towards the wifi source for best range because it's in the controller face.
Thank you. Curious that Traeger didn’t upgrade their controllers to add the antenna. That would have made sense to me to do that because that distance was the very issue I needed resolved.

I think there is a post around here that shows the controller board and what lead/solder stub is the antenna. I know they told me my 850 did not have an external ant. but it do. And yea my controller is out and yea they said it would ship 2 day air 2 days ago. And yea it's still in their warehouse. Not a happy camper/griller whatever.

I think there is a post around here that shows the controller board and what lead/solder stub is the antenna. I know they told me my 850 did not have an external ant. but it do. And yea my controller is out and yea they said it would ship 2 day air 2 days ago. And yea it's still in their warehouse. Not a happy camper/griller whatever.
Yea, I get it. Don’t give up. It took me four tries over four months, face time with Traeger to prove I wasn’t scamming them. When I finally got on there” we’d better take care of this or we will end up having to get him a new grill” list, things rolled like butter. Even got overnight two new controllers. I’m going to call them now shjen I have time and ask them why I wasn’t sent an upgraded controller with an antennae.

Latest Discussions

Back