Timberline 850 vs. Ironwood 885?

Mike Knowles

Reaction score
Grill
not sure yet!
I'm new to smoking and want to choose between these two. Any advice and "Why" please.
Thanks in advance,
Mike

I'll throw in my 2 cents. They will cook the same.

That said, the Timberline 850 is a gem as far as construction, I love the stainless interior and hidden grease catching system. It costs more but the details like cutting board and pellet level sensor are all good. That's why I went with the 850.

My Ironwood has been a good performer so far. I think the only (small) reason to purchase the Timberline over the ironwood is that is has more interior insulation. I think both will need to a cold weather blanket regardless during the cold winter months up here in Canada and if you live in a warm climate it is a mute point. As far as the pellet sensor...ya it may be nice when it works reliably but really, a 20# hopper when full will run 20 hours so no big deal there. The Timberline shelf is a joke and the cutting board....is a bit of a gimmick in my opinion. If the Timberline is worth the extra cash to you then go for it but if not then the ironwood is better value in my opinion. Cheers.

I ultimately went with the Ironwood.

I agree the shelf on the Timberline is nice but is a bit to narrow I think for holding a tray of meat which is my typical use case, so I bought the Ironwood and added the folding shelf. Living in a southern climate, I don't think the addition of the insulated lid will make any difference, and now in use the temps are solid on the Ironwood which seems to substantiate. The stainless interior is nice aesthetically, but as the exterior is still the same painted steel, it won't offer any additional rust protection which would seem to be the main point for me. The stainless grills also are nice to look at when new, but I am also not convinced would offer any benefit over the ceramics in day to day use (but not having used stainless could be wrong here).

In summary, it seemed the upgrades were aesthetic and not meaningfully practical and not worth the big jump in price. I think for me if this I was committed to that spend I might be looking at more 'serious' grills from other brands, but certainly would not denigrate either of these very nice choices.

Now, if only I could get the wifire working....

Thank you CampWhatnot....your input parallels what I have been thinking: The additional cost of the Timberline vs value doesn't seem to be there, the shelf does look small, the bamboo cutting board looks / seems 'gimicky' but I do think the extra insulation is a benefit....thanks pal!

I was in the same boat a while ago and it was a Traeger rep that talked me into the Ironwood over the Timberline. Here's my 3 main reasons for the Ironwood over the Timberline.

1. No front shelf. That little thing in front of the Timberline should be an embarrassment for a grill at that price.
  2. Puny hidden drip pan. The little drip pans that go in a drawer are out of sight, out of mind and look to be a PIA compared to my Kirkland Olive Jar in the bucket.
  3. I would much rather have 30 inches wide than 22 inches on the Timberline. The first 2 shelves of the Ironwood 885 have much more cooking space than the first two on the Timberline.
The cutting board is something I would not use (since I have a nice big fold down shelf on my Ironwood). The WiFi antenna is not needed in my location. Stainless grids would be nice but after a few uses, they look like my porcelain over steel.

Save your money and go with the Ironwood.

I bought my first Traeger a week ago. I landed on the Ironwood 885 and here was my thought process.

1) I wanted a larger unit.
- Not sure I really need the size most of the time, but now I know I have it. I’m ready.
2) I wanted the best bang for my buck.
- I live in Canada so prices here are higher but generally they compare with exchange rates. The Ironwood 885 had enough upgraded features over the 780 to justify an extra $700 in price. However, when I looked at buying the Timberline, I didn’t feel there was an extra $700 in features to justify the next price jump.

The 885, for me, has the right size and combination of features to hit that sweet spot where you can feel that you bought a quality machine without spending SO MUCH that you moved past buying for quality and into buying for vanity.

That said...the Timberline series is sexy as hell

I agree with most of the opinions on the much greater value of the Ironwood.

1 - I do think the Timberline's stainless grids are really good actually and they clean easily with a wet paper towel pad under my grill brush while still hot, so they remain looking good.
2 - Having bumped and spilled a half filled grease bucket onto my patio, more than once, with my old Junior grill is why I love the hidden drip pan which is plenty big and easily accessible from the side drawer, plus it's foil tray lined.
3 - I do agree that the front shelf is a joke, a pretty stainless steel joke. I may buy an Ironwood folder and modify it to fit my 850.
4- The cutting board is nice but awkward in that it's high up on the pellet bin door.

Thank you CampWhatnot....your input parallels what I have been thinking: The additional cost of the Timberline vs value doesn't seem to be there, the shelf does look small, the bamboo cutting board looks / seems 'gimicky' but I do think the extra insulation is a benefit....thanks pal!
I added a front shelf to my ironwood and it is functional and about 50 bucks

I added a front shelf to my ironwood and it is functional and about 50 bucks

Yep, me too. Money well spent!

Yep

Latest Discussions

Back