Timberline 850 gets a Covid project, Folding Shelf, on Steroids!

RemE

⚒️ Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
I have had my Gen2 for just about a year now and have grown to love it, except for the beautifully crafted POSER for a front shelf, Traeger? Seriously??

I looked at what others had done and decided to make a folding cutting board shelf attached to my own custom mount. I wanted the new shelf to take the same shape as the stock front shelf to allow the grill cover to still fit. This meant removing the stainless shelf completely, and I didn't want to mod the grill itself if possible.

Mount, I used a nice kiln dried 2 x 8 prime piece of redwood plank to span the face of the grill. It picks up the two mounting holes on the left and two of the 4 holes on the pellet hopper. As luck would have it, the right side needed spacing out from the pellet hopper which turned out to be 3" or two extra bits of the plank. So minimal cutting, just some careful measuring and drilling the holes. 2" 1/4-20 bolts on the left and 5" 1/4-20 bolts on the right, I used all stainless hardware.

Since the mount is close to the mouth of the grill, I skinned the inside face of the mount with some 1/16" aluminum to deflect the heat a bit. I've had the grill to 500F and there is no problem. The heft of this mount allows for a solid base for a big folding shelf, I played around with measurements and decided that a 36" wide by 18" deep shelf would allow me to pull and wrap a full brisket with room to spare and still be able to work around the grill.

Shelf, I spent a fortune on this vista cruiser of a grill so I looked for a special shelf. I searched Amazon and found a beautiful walnut cutting board countertop 24" x 36" x 1½” by John Boos & Co. It was over the top so to speak at over $200 but then I noticed that they had an option on a refurb/return for around $175 still pricey, but I love walnut! I figured it would have some defects which was fine for this use. I ordered it and it was lost for some time due to the riots, I mean peaceful protests, but eventually made it. It was damaged on one side and on the corners, but since I needed to rip it to 18”, I was able to end up with a perfect top in the end. I used a strip of 1/16” x 1½” aluminum to cover the edge of the top that faces the grill to deflect some heat.
Link to shelf;
https://www.amazon.com/John-Boos-WA..._wg=vWwj1&pf_rd_p=e20a7044-dca9-4b2c-8da8-05b

Folding Brackets, I found a great set of stainless brackets that are rated at 440lbs (doubtful) and have extended release levers for easy reach to fold the shelf. They work as advertised and the shelf is very solid, locks with a satisfying “click” so you know it’s ready.
Link to brackets;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JK7W4GF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gas Struts? Since we are going all out here, I was concerned about the weight of the slab of walnut, probably 30lbs. I looked for some gas struts, found a set of three pairs in different strengths, 23lbs, 34lbs, and 45lbs with brackets all for $18 so why not! They were the shortest I could find and have a 3” stroke. I had to extend them down a bit below the mount for them to fit, using some 1/8” x 1” aluminum angle stock. It turns out that the middle, 34lb pair are perfect! You just start to lift the shelf and it then self-glides into position. Then you just lift it a bit more to hear the locks click into place. This was so worth the $18 bucks for the cool factor.
Link to struts;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZPXLBWZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was able to get the aluminum strips and stainless hardware at my local ACE Hardware, it’s also my local Traeger store, lucky me. I just used basic tools to do this project and now I really love the grill as it should have been. I smoked up our first brisket yesterday and the shelf was perfect.

Thanks to those who sparked the idea, hope this helps.

The only thing the grill still needs is a functional probe temp alert over WiFire, it currently is horrible. It displays the alert which is completely useless. It needs to have a configurable audible alert that MAKES NOISE on your phone, that doesn't stop until you silence it!

Attachments

• Before.JPG
    Before.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 3,041
  • Raw Mount Front.JPG
    Raw Mount Front.JPG
    183.6 KB · Views: 1,404
  • Raw Mount Rear.JPG
    Raw Mount Rear.JPG
    270.5 KB · Views: 1,400
  • Finished Mount Front.JPG
    Finished Mount Front.JPG
    202.8 KB · Views: 1,390
  • Finished Mount Rear.jpg
    Finished Mount Rear.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 1,382
  • IMG_7896.JPG
    IMG_7896.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 1,382
  • IMG_7893.JPG
    IMG_7893.JPG
    183.7 KB · Views: 1,482
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 1,516
  • IMG_7904.JPG
    IMG_7904.JPG
    206.3 KB · Views: 1,629
  • IMG_7919.JPG
    IMG_7919.JPG
    244.1 KB · Views: 1,558
Last edited:
Some additional pics and a short video of the struts.

Edit, I decided to use the wood scraps to make a matching bottom shelf, now I've squeezed all I can into this little baby.

Attachments

• IMG_7916.jpg
    IMG_7916.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_7917.jpg
    IMG_7917.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG_7920.jpg
    IMG_7920.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 368
  • Cover Still Fits.JPG
    Cover Still Fits.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 365
Last edited:
Nicely done! I'm planning to do something similar to my recently-acquired Ironwood 885 and your post has certainly provided some food for thought. My first project was/is creating a side cutting board similar to the one that your Timberline came with. I'll get some pictures and details of that posted up in the next few days. Just got the prototype done last night.

Now that looks great! Nice work!

I have had my Gen2 for just about a year now and have grown to love it, except for the beautifully crafted POSER for a front shelf, Traeger? Seriously??

I looked at what other have done and decided to make a folding cutting board shelf attached to my own custom mount. I wanted the new shelf to take the same shape as the stock front shelf to allow the grill cover to still fit. This meant removing the stainless shelf completely, and I didn't want to mod the grill itself if possible.

Mount, I used a nice kiln dried 2 x 8 prime piece of redwood plank to span the face of the grill. It picks up the two mounting holes on the left and two of the 4 holes on the pellet hopper. As luck would have it, the right side needed spacing out from the pellet hopper which turned out to be 3" or two extra bits of the plank. So minimal cutting, just some careful measuring and drilling the holes. 2" 1/4-20 bolts on the left and 5" 1/4-20 bolts on the right, I used all stainless hardware.

Since the mount is close to the mouth of the grill, I skinned the inside face of the mount with some 1/16" aluminum to deflect the heat a bit. I've had the grill to 500F and there is no problem. The heft of this mount allows for a solid base for a big folding shelf, I played around with measurements and decided that a 36" wide by 18" deep shelf would allow me to pull and wrap a full brisket with room to spare and still be able to work around the grill.

Shelf, I spent a fortune on this vista cruiser of a grill so I looked for a special shelf. I searched Amazon and found a beautiful walnut cutting board countertop 24" x 36" x 1½” by John Boos & Co. It was over the top so to speak at over $200 but then I noticed that they had an option on a refurb/return for around $175 still pricey, but I love walnut! I figured it would have some defects which was fine for this use. I ordered it and it was lost for some time due to the riots, I mean peaceful protests, but eventually made it. It was damaged on one side and on the corners, but since I needed to rip it to 18”, I was able to end up with a perfect top in the end. I used a strip of 1/16” x 1½” aluminum to cover the edge of the top that faces the grill to deflect some heat.
Link to shelf;
https://www.amazon.com/John-Boos-WA..._wg=vWwj1&pf_rd_p=e20a7044-dca9-4b2c-8da8-05b

Folding Brackets, I found a great set of stainless brackets that are rated at 440lbs (doubtful) and have extended release levers for easy reach to fold the shelf. They work as advertised and the shelf is very solid, locks with a satisfying “click” so you know it’s ready.
Link to brackets;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JK7W4GF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gas Struts? Since we are going all out here, I was concerned about the weight of the slab of walnut, probably 30lbs. I looked for some gas struts, found a set of three pairs in different strengths, 23lbs, 34lbs, and 45lbs with brackets all for $18 so why not! They were the shortest I could find and have a 3” stroke. I had to extend them down a bit below the mount for them to fit, using some 1/8” x 1” aluminum angle stock. It turns out that the middle, 34lb pair are perfect! You just start to lift the shelf and it then self-glides into position. Then you just lift it a bit more to hear the locks click into place. This was so worth the $18 bucks for the cool factor.
Link to struts;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZPXLBWZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was able to get the aluminum strips and stainless hardware at my local ACE Hardware, it’s also my local Traeger store, lucky me. I just used basic tools to do this project and now I really love the grill as it should have been. I smoked up our first brisket yesterday and the shelf was perfect.

The only thing the grill still needs is a functional probe temp alert over WiFire, it currently is horrible. It displays the alert which is completely useless. It needs to have a configurable audible alert that MAKES NOISE on your phone, that doesn't stop until you silence it!
Dude way to go, that looks super sic!

I decided to take the wood scraps left over from the folding shelf project to make up a matching bottom shelf to store my plastic grill tool bin.

Attachments

• IMG_7954.JPG
    IMG_7954.JPG
    177.8 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_7955.JPG
    IMG_7955.JPG
    187.6 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_7956.JPG
    IMG_7956.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_7957.JPG
    IMG_7957.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 455
  • IMG_7961.JPG
    IMG_7961.JPG
    220.4 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG_7958.JPG
    IMG_7958.JPG
    237.1 KB · Views: 460

I looked at what other have done and decided to make a folding cutting board shelf attached to my own custom mount. I wanted the new shelf to take the same shape as the stock front shelf to allow the grill cover to still fit. This meant removing the stainless shelf completely, and I didn't want to mod the grill itself if possible.

Link to shelf;

Link to brackets;

Link to struts;

Sending you first class airline tickets. Have honeymoon suite reserved. JUST BUILD ME ONE LIKE YOU DID. ??????

Thanks for the compliments! Now the stock pellet hopper bamboo cutting board looks off against the walnut. Sooo, I snapped up a walnut cutting board, sliced & diced, added magnets and now all is good with the walnut world.

Attachments

• IMG_8044.JPG
    IMG_8044.JPG
    197.1 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_8045.JPG
    IMG_8045.JPG
    229.2 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_8043.jpg
    IMG_8043.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 271
^^ Nice! I love working with walnut and having all the wooden elements the same is a really great touch.

Great shelf. I am going to build one. Do you have any more details, images or more detailed instructions?

Great shelf. I am going to build one. Do you have any more details, images or more detailed instructions?
I'm happy to help, what additional details do you need? I used basic wood for the shelf base (kiln dried 2x8 lumber) and the top cutting board, cut to a size I liked.

I was writing in regard to the folding shelf. Any other tips about is construction?
Link for the wood you used for the mount?

I was writing in regard to the folding shelf. Any other tips about is construction?
Link for the wood you used for the mount?
I posted links to the top, hinges, struts etc. At the beginning of this thread. Can't you see them?

The shelf mount is just a piece of premium 2x8 lumber from my local yard, I measured the grill's standard shelf mounting hole spacing plus 1/2" on each side.

Last edited:
Thanks, what is the final size of your folding part of the shelf? You had to cut some of the chopping board off to put a bit in the gap to the hopper.

Latest Discussions

Back