Timberline 850 Connection Issue

Den60

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
Hello, new guy here. I have had the 850 for a few years. First time I paired it with a router I had no issues. A while back we changed routers and I was unable to connect the grill to it. Finally gave up in frustration. Yesterday this router died so we bought a new one and I decided to try to pair it again. I get all the way to the end where I am told to name the grill and do that and hit "Continue." However, when I go back and look I don't see the grill was added in the Traeger app.

Look on the grill display in settings, about WiFi, to see if the grill is actually connected to your router.

If memory serves me correctly that could happen if the App Device used to setup/pair the WiFIRE Controller to the Home Wi-Fi Network switches back to the 5GHz radio versus "sticking" to the 2.4GHz radio through completion of the setup/pairing process ... put the App Device in Airplane Mode, forget any/all Home Wi-Fi Networks, verify that you're connected to the 2.4GHz radio and start from there ... Traeger has outlined many/most of the issues/caveats here: https://www.traegergrills.com/support/wifire-diagnosis-step-1

In addition, if you use the same SSID for 5Ghz as well as 2.4Ghz, it would be better to have a separate SSID for each band so when you connect your Traeger, you will be sure it is the 2.4Ghz band and no switching will ever take place.

In addition, if you use the same SSID for 5Ghz as well as 2.4Ghz, it would be better to have a separate SSID for each band so when you connect your Traeger, you will be sure it is the 2.4Ghz band and no switching will ever take place.

An alternative to renaming the 2.4GHz radio to a separate SSID from the 5GHz radio is to temporarily disable the 5GHz radio on your Router / WAP, reboot the Router / WAP, run through setup/pairing, and once successfully completed (and verified that you have WiFIRE Controller access via the App), re-enable the 5GHz radio on the Router / WAP ... this is a common workaround for those using Mesh Networks where the App Device is constantly steered to the 5GHz radio frequency ...

And to piggyback on GrillMeister's comments above - the issue is if the App Device has a saved connection to the 5GHz radio, it can become the "preferred/default" network to reattach to when making a Wi-Fi Network switch/change, thus even with the SSID Network Name separation, the App Device can still default to its preferred connection and jump on the 5GHz at the end of the setup process thus rendering it as failed ... forgetting the 5GHz SSID Network Name prior to starting the setup/pairing process can alleviate this from happening ...

Yes, the grill says it is connected to the correct 2.4GHz network. I have a signal of -50. It sees the network by my phone does not list it as "added."

I don't have a code so entering manually.

I'm pairing to a Galaxy S-10 phone but even tried it with my son's I phone.

When I look at the Wifi Info screen it shows the correct network but then I see it go back and for between that information and Connecting to that network.

I'm pairing to a Galaxy S-10 phone but even tried it with my son's I phone.
What is odd is if the WiFIRE Controller itself is connected to your Home Wi-Fi Network, then Setup/Pairing to the Traeger Cloud backend completed successfully ... now the issue would be getting your App Device(s) to successfully connect to the Traeger Cloud backend and pull your account information so that it can view/control the WiFIRE Controller ... short of following the steps to clear the cache and delete/reinstall the App, then log into your Traeger Account, it should find the grill (assuming again that it is successfully communicating with the Traeger Cloud backend ...

When I look at the Wifi Info screen it shows the correct network but then I see it go back and for between that information and Connecting to that network.
What version of Firmware & Config Version is running on your WiFIRE Controller? I think RemE had a similar issue where it reported a relatively strong Wi-Fi signal, but would have issues maintaining connectivity

What version of Firmware & Config Version is running on your WiFIRE Controller? I think RemE had a similar issue where it reported a relatively strong Wi-Fi signal, but would have issues maintaining connectivity

My son just informed me that this new Netgear router selects the band for what tries to connect automatically. When he first set it up I had a separate name for each band. Now it is just one name for the router.

On wifi info page hold ignite button down for 20-30 seconds, cycle power to start over.

I also had to turn off the connect to new networks until I was finished.

Back